Genomes and Genes
Sama F Sleiman
Affiliation: Weill Medical College of Cornell University
- Putting the 'HAT' back on survival signalling: the promises and challenges of HDAC inhibition in the treatment of neurological conditionsSama F Sleiman
Burke Medical Research Institute, 785 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, 10605 NY, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 18:573-84. 2009..Despite the fact that HDAC inhibitors are in an advanced stage of development, we suggest other approaches to modulating HDAC function that may be less toxic and more efficacious than the canonical agents developed so far...
- Transglutaminase inhibition protects against oxidative stress-induced neuronal death downstream of pathological ERK activationManuela Basso
Winifred Masterson Burke Medical Research Institute, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
J Neurosci 32:6561-9. 2012....
- Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors and Mithramycin A Impact a Similar Neuroprotective Pathway at a Crossroad between Cancer and NeurodegenerationSama F Sleiman
Burke Cornell Medical Research Institute, 785 Mamaroneck Ave, White Plains, New York, NY 10605, USA
Pharmaceuticals (Basel) 4:1183-1195. 2011..These findings support the conclusion that an imbalance in histone acetylase and HDAC activity in favor of HDACs is key not only for oncogenic transformation, but also neurodegeneration...
- Mithramycin is a gene-selective Sp1 inhibitor that identifies a biological intersection between cancer and neurodegenerationSama F Sleiman
Burke Medical Research Institute, White Plains, New York 10605, USA
J Neurosci 31:6858-70. 2011..These results support a model in which cancer cell transformation shares key genetic components with neurodegeneration...
- Hydroxamic acid-based histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors can mediate neuroprotection independent of HDAC inhibitionSama F Sleiman
Burke Medical Research Institute, White Plains, New York 10605, Department of Natural Sciences, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, Lebanese American University, Byblos, Lebanon
J Neurosci 34:14328-37. 2014..Our results suggest that hydroxamic acid-based HDAC inhibitors may mediate neuroprotection via HDAC-independent mechanisms and affirm the need for careful structure-activity relationship studies when using pharmacological approaches. ..
- Inhibition of transglutaminase 2 mitigates transcriptional dysregulation in models of Huntington diseaseStephen J McConoughey
Burke Medical Research Institute, White Plains, NY, USA
EMBO Mol Med 2:349-70. 2010..Altogether these findings demonstrate that selective TG inhibition broadly corrects transcriptional dysregulation in HD and defines a novel HDAC-independent epigenetic strategy for treating neurodegeneration...