Genomes and Genes
A K Rishi
Affiliation: Wayne State University
- Identification and characterization of a cell cycle and apoptosis regulatory protein-1 as a novel mediator of apoptosis signaling by retinoid CD437Arun K Rishi
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine and Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 278:33422-35. 2003..Identification of CARP-1 as a key mediator of signaling by CD437 or adriamycin allows for delineation of pathways that, in turn, may prove beneficial for design and targeting of novel antitumor agents...
- Post-transcriptional regulation of the DNA damage-inducible gadd45 gene in human breast carcinoma cells exposed to a novel retinoid CD437A K Rishi
Department of Internal Medicine and Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 27:3111-9. 1999....
- A novel mechanism of cell growth regulation by Cell Cycle and Apoptosis Regulatory Protein (CARP)-1Yan Jiang
Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University and John D, Dingell VA Medical Center, Room B4325, 4646 John R, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Mol Signal 5:7. 2010..CARP-1/CCAR1, a perinuclear phospho-protein, regulates signaling by adriamycin, steroids, or growth factors. However, intracellular events that regulate CARP-1-dependent cell growth are not fully understood...
- Novel cis-trans interactions are involved in post-transcriptional regulation of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21WAF1/CIP1 mRNALiyue Zhang
Karmanos Cancer Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University and John D, Dingell VA Medical Center, Room B4325, 4646 John R, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Mol Signal 5:12. 2010..We previously found that cell growth suppressing retinoid CD437 enhanced expression of p21WAF1/CIP1 and DNA damage inducible GADD45 proteins in part by elevating their mRNA stability...
- S-phase arrest and apoptosis induced in normal mammary epithelial cells by a novel retinoidY Zhang
John D Dingell VA Medical Center, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 60:2025-32. 2000..We hypothesize that this enhanced E2F-1 transcriptional activity results in S-phase arrest and subsequent apoptosis that has been observed in other systems...
- Identification of a unique binding protein specific for a novel retinoid inducing cellular apoptosisJ A Fontana
Department of Medicine, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Int J Cancer 86:474-9. 2000..Our results suggest that apoptosis induction by AHPN (CD437) may occur through interaction with another protein and is independent of the RAR/RXR-signaling pathways...
- Cloning of a novel EGFR-related peptide: a putative negative regulator of EGFRY Yu
Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 280:C1083-9. 2001..We conclude that the ERRP cDNA may represent a new member of the EGFR gene family and that ERRP plays a role in regulating cell proliferation by modulating the function of EGFR...
- Cyclin B and E2F-1 expression in prostate carcinoma cells treated with the novel retinoid CD437 are regulated by the ubiquitin-mediated pathwayLulu Farhana
John D Dingell VA Medical Center and Karmanos Cancer Institute, and Department Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 62:3842-9. 2002..Thus, CD437 modulates the expression of E2F-1 and cyclin B through the simultaneous stimulation and inhibition of the cyclin B and E2F-1 E3 ligases, respectively...
- Classical and novel retinoids: their targets in cancer therapyJ A Fontana
John D Dingell VA Medical Center and the Department of Medicine and Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Leukemia 16:463-72. 2002..Both 4-HPR and CD437/AHPN display significant potential as therapeutic agents in the treatment of a number of premalignant and malignant conditions...
- Induction of apoptosis in retinoid-refractory acute myelogenous leukemia by a novel AHPN analogYuxiang Zhang
John D Dingell VA Medical Center, and Department of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Blood 102:3743-52. 2003..3-log kill in the leukemic blasts. While 3-Cl-AHPC does not activate retinoic nuclear receptors, it is a potent inducer of apoptosis in AML cells and may represent a novel therapy in the treatment of this disease...
- Transactivator of transcription-tagged cell cycle and apoptosis regulatory protein-1 peptides suppress the growth of human breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivoLiyue Zhang
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:1661-72. 2007..We conclude that CARP-1 is a suppressor of human breast cancer growth, and its expression is diminished in tumors, in part, by methylation-dependent silencing...
- Induction of apoptosis of human B-CLL and ALL cells by a novel retinoid and its nonretinoidal analogYuxiang Zhang
Department of Medicine, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, and the John D Dingell VA Medical Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Blood 100:2917-25. 2002..These results suggest that CD437 and MM002 analogs may have a potential role in the treatment of B-CLL and ALL...
- ErbB-inhibitory protein: a modified ectodomain of epidermal growth factor receptor synergizes with dasatinib to inhibit growth of breast cancer cellsJyoti Nautiyal
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:1503-14. 2010..The latter could be attributed to induction of apoptosis. We conclude that combining dasatinib and EBIP could be an effective therapeutic strategy for breast cancer by targeting EGFRs and Src signaling...
- Targeted proteasome inhibition by Velcade induces apoptosis in human mesothelioma and breast cancer cell linesYing Wang
John D Dingell VA Medical Center, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, VAMC, 4646 John R, Detroit, MI, 48201, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 66:455-66. 2010..Although proteasome inhibitor Velcade (Bortezomib) has been under clinical investigation for a number of cancers, limited preclinical studies with this agent have thus far been conducted in HBC and MPM malignancies...
- Pressure stimulates breast cancer cell adhesion independently of cell cycle and apoptosis regulatory protein (CARP)-1 regulation of focal adhesion kinaseChristina Downey
Department of Surgery, John D. Dingell VA Medical Center, Wayne State University, 4646 John R Street, Detroit, MI 48201-1932, USA
Am J Surg 192:631-5. 2006..Thus, inhibiting pressure signaling in rapidly growing breast tumors may be beneficial. CARP-1 does regulate FAK, but CARP-1 modulation does not alter pressure-stimulated adhesion. Targeting CARP-1 is unlikely to manipulate this pathway...
- Cell cycle- and apoptosis-regulatory protein-1 is involved in apoptosis signaling by epidermal growth factor receptorArun K Rishi
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Wayne State Umiversity, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 281:13188-98. 2006..Together, data demonstrate that tyrosine 192 of CARP-1 is a target of apoptosis signaling, and CARP-1, in turn, promotes apoptosis by activating p38 MAPK and caspase-9...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-related protein inhibits multiple members of the EGFR family in colon and breast cancer cellsHu Xu
John D Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4646 John R, Room B 4238, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 4:435-42. 2005..Our results suggest that ERRP is an effective pan-erbB inhibitor and, thus, may be a potential therapeutic agent for a wide variety of epithelial cancers expressing different levels and subclasses of EGFRs...
- Mechanisms of curcumin- and EGF-receptor related protein (ERRP)-dependent growth inhibition of colon cancer cellsSudha Reddy
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Michigan 48201, USA
Nutr Cancer 55:185-94. 2006..The superior effects of the combinatorial treatment could partly be attributed to inhibition of constitutive activation of EGFRs and IGF-1R signaling pathways...
- Folic acid reduces nuclear translocation of beta-catenin in rectal mucosal crypts of patients with colorectal adenomasRichard Jaszewski
Division of Gastroenterology, and Department of Internal Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Cancer Lett 206:27-33. 2004..05) and cellular expression of pGSK3beta (P < 0.01) when compared to placebo. Folic acid may exert its chemopreventive effect, at least in part, through inhibition of nuclear translocation of beta-catenin...
- Folic acid-mediated inhibition of serum-induced activation of EGFR promoter in colon cancer cellsKiran K Nagothu
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287:G541-6. 2004..This could partly be responsible for FA-mediated inhibition of growth-related processes in colorectal neoplasia...
- Schlafen 3, a novel gene, regulates colonic mucosal growth during agingBhaumik B Patel
Veterans Administration Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Karmanos Cancer Institue, Wayne State University, 4646 John R St, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 296:G955-62. 2009..Schlafen 3, a novel negative regulator of growth, which is markedly downregulated in the colonic mucosa of the aged, may play a role in regulating colonic mucosal growth during aging...
- TGF-beta1 modulates focal adhesion kinase expression in rat intestinal epithelial IEC-6 cells via stimulatory and inhibitory Smad binding elementsMary F Walsh
Department of Surgery, Wayne State University, Detroit 48201 1932, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1789:88-98. 2009..TGF-beta regulation of FAK transcription reflects a complex interplay between positive and negative non-Smad signals and SBE's, the last independent of p53 or AML1a...
- Cell growth inhibition by okadaic acid involves gut-enriched Kruppel-like factor mediated enhanced expression of c-MycLiyue Zhang
John D Dingell V A Medical Center and Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 67:10198-206. 2007..Thus, OA-dependent attenuation of HBC growth is accomplished, in part, by zinc finger transcription factor GKLF-mediated enhanced transcription of c-myc...
- EGF-receptor related protein causes cell cycle arrest and induces apoptosis of colon cancer cells in vitro and in vivoEdi Levi
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Anticancer Res 24:2885-91. 2004....
- Epidermal growth factor receptor-related peptide inhibits growth of PC-3 prostate cancer cellsDorota J Marciniak
Departments of Internal Medicine and Pathology, John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Karmanos Cancer Center, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 3:1615-21. 2004..In summary, our data show that ERRP inhibits the growth of prostate cancer cells by attenuating EGFR signaling processes. ERRP could potentially be an effective therapeutic agent for prostate cancer...
- Antagonist analogue of 6-[3'-(1-adamantyl)-4'-hydroxyphenyl]-2-naphthalenecarboxylic acid (AHPN) family of apoptosis inducers that effectively blocks AHPN-induced apoptosis but not cell-cycle arrestMarcia I Dawson
The Burnham Institute, Cancer Center, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Med Chem 47:3518-36. 2004..As a result, the position of RARgamma helix H12 in forming the coactivator-binding site was impacted in a manner consistent with the experimental effect of each analogue on RARgamma transcriptional activation...