Linda Dondero Hazlett
Affiliation: Wayne State University
- ..These studies of defensins in the innate immune system have implications for the prevention and treatment of a variety of infectious diseases, including bacterial ocular disease. ..
- Hazlett L, McClellan S, Barrett R, Rudner X. B7/CD28 costimulation is critical in susceptibility to Pseudomonas aeruginosa corneal infection: a comparative study using monoclonal antibody blockade and CD28-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2001;166:1292-9 pubmed..These results support a critical role for B7/CD28 costimulation in susceptibility to P. aeruginosa ocular infection. ..
- Hazlett L, Rudner X, McClellan S, Barrett R, Lighvani S. Role of IL-12 and IFN-gamma in Pseudomonas aeruginosa corneal infection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:419-24 pubmed....
- Hazlett L, McClellan S, Barrett R, Liu J, Zhang Y, Lighvani S. Spantide I decreases type I cytokines, enhances IL-10, and reduces corneal perforation in susceptible mice after Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:797-807 pubmed..The SP antagonist Spantide provides a novel approach to reduce type 1 and enhance the type 2 cytokine IL-10 in the infected cornea of B6 mice, leading to a significant reduction in corneal perforation and improved disease outcome. ..
- Hazlett L, Li Q, Liu J, McClellan S, Du W, Barrett R. NKT cells are critical to initiate an inflammatory response after Pseudomonas aeruginosa ocular infection in susceptible mice. J Immunol. 2007;179:1138-46 pubmed....
- Huang X, Du W, Barrett R, Hazlett L. ST2 is essential for Th2 responsiveness and resistance to pseudomonas aeruginosa keratitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:4626-33 pubmed....
- Hazlett L, McClellan S, Barrett R, Huang X, Zhang Y, Wu M, et al. IL-33 shifts macrophage polarization, promoting resistance against Pseudomonas aeruginosa keratitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1524-32 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence that IL-33 promotes a Th2-type immune response and reduces inflammation by polarizing the Mvarphi production of anti-inflammatory mediators in the cornea. ..
- Hazlett L, Hendricks R. Reviews for immune privilege in the year 2010: immune privilege and infection. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2010;18:237-43 pubmed publisher..HSK is more frequent and severe in BALB/c than C57BL/6 mice, and varies in severity with the strain and dose of HSV-1 used to infect the cornea...
- Peng X, Ekanayaka S, McClellan S, Barrett R, Vistisen K, Hazlett L. Characterization of Three Ocular Clinical Isolates of P. aeruginosa: Viability, Biofilm Formation, Adherence, Infectivity, and Effects of Glycyrrhizin. Pathogens. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence that GLY is bacteriostatic for G81007. It also affects biofilm production, adherence to cultured cells, and an improved keratitis outcome. ..