Genomes and Genes
David J Grignon
Affiliation: Wayne State University
- Clear cell renal cell carcinomaDavid J Grignon
Department of Pathology, Wayne State University, Harper University Hospital, Detroit, MI, USA
Clin Lab Med 25:305-16. 2005..Histologically, a wide range of morphologic patterns can be encountered. Those cases with a multi-locular cystic architecture are considered to be a distinct subtype because of the clinicopathologic features...
- Unusual subtypes of prostate cancerDavid J Grignon
Department of Pathology, Harper University Hospital and Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Mod Pathol 17:316-27. 2004..Other carcinomas that occur in the prostate gland are also discussed again with a focus on the clinicopathologic characteristics...
- Elevated expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen in high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and prostate cancerXiaoyan Wang
Department of Pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Prostate 71:748-54. 2011..The expression and potential utility of this marker in prostatic neoplasia is uncertain. With the development of this new caPCNA selective antibody, we explored the potential utility of this marker in prostate cancer...
- Grading of invasive cribriform carcinoma on prostate needle biopsy: an interobserver study among experts in genitourinary pathologyMathieu Latour
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1532-9. 2008..In conclusion, most of the small cribriform cancer foci seen on needle biopsy should be interpreted as Gleason pattern 4 and not pattern 3...
- Distinguishing primary adenocarcinoma of the urinary bladder from secondary involvement by colorectal adenocarcinoma: extended immunohistochemical profiles emphasizing novel markersQiu Rao
Department of Pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Mod Pathol 26:725-32. 2013..However, it does not distinguish primary bladder adenocarcinoma from secondary involvement by colorectal adenocarcinoma. The pattern of reactivity for β-catenin remains the most useful marker for distinguishing these two tumors...
- Prognostic value of abnormal p53 expression in locally advanced prostate cancer treated with androgen deprivation and radiotherapy: a study based on RTOG 9202Mingxin Che
Department of Pathology, Wayne State University, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:1117-23. 2007....
- Cystic partially regressed clear cell renal cell carcinoma: a potential mimic of multilocular cystic renal cell carcinomaSean R Williamson
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI, USA
Histopathology 63:767-79. 2013..We designated these tumours 'cystic partially regressed clear cell renal cell carcinoma.'..
- Increased metastatic potential in human prostate carcinoma cells by overexpression of arachidonate 12-lipoxygenaseDaotai Nie
Department of Radiation Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine and Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Clin Exp Metastasis 20:657-63. 2003..Taken together, our data suggest that an increase in 12-LOX expression enhances the metastatic potential of human prostate cancer cells...
- Handling and reporting of tumor-containing kidney specimensMingxin Che
Department of Pathology, Harper University Hospital, Wayne State University Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Clin Lab Med 25:417-32. 2005..A pathologic report of a tumor-containing kidney specimen should include all established or potential prognostic factors, especially tumor types, size, grade, information for pathologic staging, and status of the surgical margin...
- Management of clinical T1 bladder transitional cell carcinoma by radical cystectomyFernando J Bianco
Department of Urology, Wayne State University School of Medicine and Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI, USA
Urol Oncol 22:290-4. 2004..For high-grade tumors, early cystectomy and orthotopic diversion increases life expectancy significantly and should be carry out early rather than late...
- Practical issues and pitfalls in staging tumors of the genitourinary tractAdeboye O Osunkoya
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 29:154-66. 2012....
- Squamous cysts arising from segmental renal dysplasiaRong Fan
Department of Pathology, Indiana University, 702 Barnhill Dr, Rm 2536, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 26:1893-6. 2011..Squamous cysts within the dysplastic kidney, however, are exceedingly rare; only two cases have been reported in the English literature, dating back about 25 years...
- Mixed epithelial and stromal tumors of the kidney: evidence for a single cell of origin with capacity for epithelial and stromal differentiationJennifer Bup Jong Kum
Department of Pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 35:1114-22. 2011..Our data support the theory that the stroma and epithelium arise from a common cell of origin...
- Metanephric adenoma vs. Wilms' tumor: a report of 2 cases with diagnosis by fine needle aspiration and cytologic comparisonsSaid Khayyata
Department of Pathology, Harper University Hospital, Wayne State University Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Acta Cytol 51:464-7. 2007..Metanephric adenoma (MA) is a rare benign renal neoplasm that can occur at any age, whereas, Wilms' tumor (WT) is the most common malignant renal neoplasm in children and is occasionally seen in adults...
- Exstrophy polyp is a unique pathology entityRong Fan
Department of Pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 15:471-7. 2012..Combining the unique clinical setting, a separate pathologic and diagnostic entity should be initiated for this type of polyp; we propose the term 'bladder exstrophy polyp' or simply an 'exstrophy polyp.'..
- Aberrant expression of X-linked genes RbAp46, Rsk4, and Cldn2 in breast cancerArchana Thakur
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, 110 East Warren Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Mol Cancer Res 5:171-81. 2007..The activation status of the X-chromosome may influence the expression levels of X-linked oncogenes or tumor suppressor genes...
- Gene expression profiling of renal medullary carcinoma: potential clinical relevanceXiming J Yang
Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cancer 100:976-85. 2004..To the authors' knowledge, very little is known to date regarding the underlying molecular genetics of this tumor, and no effective therapy has been established...
- Basal cell proliferations of the prostate other than usual basal cell hyperplasia: a clinicopathologic study of 23 cases, including four carcinomas, with a proposed classificationJesse K McKenney
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, 1364 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1289-98. 2004..This study suggests that adenoid cystic carcinomas are biologically indolent following prostatectomy but have a low risk of distant metastasis...
- Ki-67 staining index predicts distant metastasis and survival in locally advanced prostate cancer treated with radiotherapy: an analysis of patients in radiation therapy oncology group protocol 86-10Rile Li
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:4118-24. 2004..In a prior study, we found that a Ki-67 SI of >3.5% was associated with poorer patient outcome. The goals of this analysis were to validate the prognostic value of Ki-67 SI and this cut point...
- Quantification of G250 mRNA expression in renal epithelial neoplasms by real-time reverse transcription-PCR of dissected tissue from paraffin sectionsTarek A Bismar
Department of Pathology, Harper University Hospital, Wayne State University, 3990 John R, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Pathology 35:513-7. 2003..Using this approach, we performed a preliminary study investigating the relationship between G250 expression and tumor behavior in clear cell RCC...
- E-cadherin expression in plasmacytoid, signet ring cell and micropapillary variants of urothelial carcinoma: comparison with usual-type high-grade urothelial carcinomaMatthew G Lim
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Mod Pathol 24:241-7. 2011..Loss of E-cadherin expression may be a marker of plasmacytoid and signet ring cell differentiation in urothelial carcinoma...
- Responsiveness of experimental prostate carcinoma bone tumors to neutron or photon radiation combined with cytokine therapyGilda G Hillman
Department of Radiation Oncology, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine and Harper Hospital, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 56:1426-37. 2003..To improve the outcome of radiotherapy for prostate carcinoma bone tumors, we investigated bone tumor irradiation with photons or neutrons followed by interleukin 2 (IL-2) therapy in a tumor model...
- Radical prostatectomy with bladder neck preservation: impact of a positive marginFernando J Bianco
Department of Urology, The Prostate Program of the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Eur Urol 43:461-6. 2003..We evaluated if preservation of the bladder neck at the time of radical prostatectomy jeopardizes surgical cancer control with consequent deleterious outcomes...
- Prostate cancer stage shift has eliminated the gap in disease-free survival in black and white American men after radical prostatectomyFernando J Bianco
Department of Urology, Wayne State University School of Medicine and Prostate Program of Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Urol 168:479-82. 2002..We tested the stage shift effects on disease-free survival in our cohort of patients treated with radical prostatectomy...
- Disease-free survival difference between African Americans and whites after radical prostatectomy for local prostate cancer: a multivariable analysisIsaac J Powell
Department of Urology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Urology 59:907-12. 2002..In an attempt to address this controversy of localized prostate cancer, we report on a multivariable analysis of survival data of a large number of AAM and WM who underwent radical prostatectomy...
- Updated protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with carcinomas of the prostate glandJohn R Srigley
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:936-46. 2006
- Expression of beta-catenin in prostatic adenocarcinomas: a comparison with colorectal adenocarcinomasTark A Bismar
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110 1093, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 121:557-63. 2004..The immunophenotypes documented herein also might aid in the distinction between prostatic and colorectal origins when metastasis is encountered...
- Interobserver variability between expert urologic pathologists for extraprostatic extension and surgical margin status in radical prostatectomy specimensAndrew J Evans
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1503-12. 2008..Interobserver variability for EPE and SM interpretation was principally related to the lack of a clearly definable prostatic capsule and crush/thermal artifact along the edge of the gland, respectively...
- Clear cell papillary renal cell carcinoma: a distinct histopathologic and molecular genetic entityStefano Gobbo
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1239-45. 2008..This tumor has immunophenotypic and genetic profiles distinct from those of either classic papillary or clear cell renal cell carcinoma, and should be considered a distinct entity in the spectrum of renal cell neoplasia...
- Protein kinase A RI-alpha predicts for prostate cancer outcome: analysis of radiation therapy oncology group trial 86-10Li Yan Khor
Department of Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:1309-15. 2008....
- Ten-year follow-up of radiation therapy oncology group protocol 92-02: a phase III trial of the duration of elective androgen deprivation in locally advanced prostate cancerEric M Horwitz
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, 333 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2497-504. 2008..To determine whether adding 2 years of androgen-deprivation therapy (ADT) improved outcome for patients electively treated with ADT before and during radiation therapy (RT)...
- Schwannoma of the kidneyStefano Gobbo
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Mod Pathol 21:779-83. 2008..In conclusion, renal schwannoma is rare, usually arises centrally, impinging on the hilum or the pelvis, and is cured by resection. Sarcomatoid carcinoma and other spindle cell tumors should be considered in the differential diagnosis...
- COX-2 expression predicts prostate-cancer outcome: analysis of data from the RTOG 92-02 trialLi Yan Khor
Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Lancet Oncol 8:912-20. 2007..We aimed to study COX-2 overexpression and outcome in a well-defined cohort of men who received treatment with short-term androgen deprivation (STAD) plus radiotherapy or long-term androgen deprivation (LTAD) plus radiotherapy...
- MDM2 as a predictor of prostate carcinoma outcome: an analysis of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Protocol 8610Li Yan Khor
Department of Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Cancer 104:962-7. 2005....
- [Main grade of Gleason's 7 score of the surgical sample correlated with biologic progression in patients treated for total prostatectomy]Rabi Tiguert
Centre de recherche l Hôtel Dieu Québec, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Canada
Prog Urol 12:31-6. 2002..To analyse the influence of the main grade of Gleason score 7 of the operative specimen correlated with the blood PSA level on the laboratory progression-free survival of patients treated by radical prostatectomy...