Affiliation: Wayne State University
- Are anonymous evaluations a better assessment of faculty teaching performance? A comparative analysis of open and anonymous evaluation processesNelia M Afonso
Department of General Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, 5C WSU Health Center, 4201 S Antoine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Fam Med 37:43-7. 2005..We compared teaching performance of medical school faculty using anonymous evaluations and open evaluations (in which the evaluator was not anonymous) and examined barriers to open evaluation...
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol goal attainment among high-risk patients: Does a combined intervention targeting patients and providers work?Nelia M Afonso
Department of Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 5C WSU Health Center, 4201 St Antoine Dr, Detroit, MI 48201 2153, USA
Am J Manag Care 12:589-94. 2006..Physicians are aware of the National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines; however, most patients fail to attain cholesterol goals...
- Lobular carcinoma in situNelia Afonso
Departments of Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Alexander J Walt Comprehensive Breast Center, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Eur J Cancer Prev 17:312-6. 2008..The number of women diagnosed with LCIS has increased in recent years most likely owing to more rigorous breast cancer screening. Implications of this diagnosis and management options are discussed in this review...
- Women at high risk for breast cancer--what the primary care provider needs to knowNelia Afonso
Department of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 22:43-50. 2009..Recent data regarding the evaluation of breast cancer risk, newer screening strategies for high-risk women, and medical and surgical approaches to reduce breast cancer risk and are discussed in this article...
- Adding new tools to the black bag--introduction of ultrasound into the physical diagnosis courseNelia Afonso
Wayne State University School of Medicine, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48201 2153, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:1248-52. 2010..Aims: (1) to study the feasibility of incorporating ultrasound into PD courses and (2) determine whether learners can demonstrate image recognition and acquisition skills...
- Hypothesized predictors of patient-physician trust and distrust in the elderly: implications for health and disease managementOswald A J Mascarenhas
University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI, USA
Clin Interv Aging 1:175-88. 2006..This is necessary if we are to design interventions to change behaviors of both the healthcare provider and the older patient...