Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Washington University School of Medicine
- Ohlemiller K, Rice M, Lett J, Gagnon P. Absence of strial melanin coincides with age-associated marginal cell loss and endocochlear potential decline. Hear Res. 2009;249:1-14 pubmed publisher..For any individual, genetic background, environmental influences, and stochastic events may work together to determine whether marginal cell density or function falls below some critical level, and thus whether EP decline occurs. ..
- Ohlemiller K, Kiener A, Gagnon P. QTL Mapping of Endocochlear Potential Differences between C57BL/6J and BALB/cJ mice. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2016;17:173-94 pubmed publisher..18 that includes Zeb1, Arhgap12, Mpp7, and Gjd4. This study marks the first exploration of natural gene variants that modulate the EP. Their orthologs may underlie some human hearing loss that originates in the lateral wall. ..
- Ohlemiller K, Gagnon P. Apical-to-basal gradients in age-related cochlear degeneration and their relationship to "primary" loss of cochlear neurons. J Comp Neurol. 2004;479:103-16 pubmed..Our findings suggest that these changes share a common triggering influence...
- Ohlemiller K. Mechanisms and genes in human strial presbycusis from animal models. Brain Res. 2009;1277:70-83 pubmed publisher..Additional studies of these and other inbred mouse and rat models should reveal candidate processes and genes that promote EP decline in humans...
- Ohlemiller K, Rybak Rice M, Rellinger E, Ortmann A. Divergence of noise vulnerability in cochleae of young CBA/J and CBA/CaJ mice. Hear Res. 2011;272:13-20 pubmed publisher..Since the cochlear cells whose fragility defines the early window appear to be hair cells, these loci may principally impact the mechanical or metabolic resiliency of hair cells or the organ of Corti...