Affiliation: Washington University in Saint Louis
- Haswell E. Gravity perception: how plants stand up for themselves. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R761-3 pubmed
- Haswell E, Meyerowitz E. MscS-like proteins control plastid size and shape in Arabidopsis thaliana. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1-11 pubmed..We propose that MscS family members have evolved new roles in plants since the endosymbiotic event that gave rise to plastids. ..
- Haswell E, Phillips R, Rees D. Mechanosensitive channels: what can they do and how do they do it?. Structure. 2011;19:1356-69 pubmed publisher....
- Maksaev G, Haswell E. Expression and characterization of the bacterial mechanosensitive channel MscS in Xenopus laevis oocytes. J Gen Physiol. 2011;138:641-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, MscS can now be compared directly to its eukaryotic homologues or to other mechanosensitive channels that are not easily studied in E. coli. ..
- Haswell E, Peyronnet R, Barbier Brygoo H, Meyerowitz E, Frachisse J. Two MscS homologs provide mechanosensitive channel activities in the Arabidopsis root. Curr Biol. 2008;18:730-734 pubmed publisher..This is the first molecular identification and characterization of MS channels in plant membranes. ..
- Peyronnet R, Haswell E, Barbier Brygoo H, Frachisse J. AtMSL9 and AtMSL10: Sensors of plasma membrane tension in Arabidopsis roots. Plant Signal Behav. 2008;3:726-9 pubmed..2,7,8 MscS homolgues have not yet been identified in animals. ..
- Wilson M, Jensen G, Haswell E. Two mechanosensitive channel homologs influence division ring placement in Arabidopsis chloroplasts. Plant Cell. 2011;23:2939-49 pubmed publisher..These results establish MS channels as components of the chloroplast division machinery and suggest that their role is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Veley K, Maksaev G, Frick E, January E, Kloepper S, Haswell E. Arabidopsis MSL10 has a regulated cell death signaling activity that is separable from its mechanosensitive ion channel activity. Plant Cell. 2014;26:3115-31 pubmed publisher..These findings further our understanding of the evolution and significance of mechanosensitive ion channels. ..
- Hamilton E, Jensen G, Maksaev G, Katims A, Sherp A, Haswell E. Mechanosensitive channel MSL8 regulates osmotic forces during pollen hydration and germination. Science. 2015;350:438-41 pubmed publisher..These data further suggest that homologs of bacterial MscS have been repurposed in eukaryotes to function as mechanosensors in multiple developmental and environmental contexts. ..
- Wilson M, Mixdorf M, Berg R, Haswell E. Plastid osmotic stress influences cell differentiation at the plant shoot apex. Development. 2016;143:3382-93 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with a model wherein the cytokinin/WUS pathway and retrograde signaling control cell differentiation at the shoot apex. ..
- Hamant O, Haswell E. Life behind the wall: sensing mechanical cues in plants. BMC Biol. 2017;15:59 pubmed publisher..What about plant systems? Our goal in this review is to summarize what is known about the perception of mechanical cues in plants, and to provide a brief comparison with animals. ..
- Basu D, Haswell E. Plant mechanosensitive ion channels: an ocean of possibilities. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2017;40:43-48 pubmed publisher..Inspired by recent discoveries in bacterial and animal systems, we are beginning to establish the conserved and the unique ways in which mechanosensitive channels function in plants. ..