Genomes and Genes
Gerald W Dorn
Affiliation: Washington University School of Medicine
- Dorn G, Song M, Walsh K. Functional implications of mitofusin 2-mediated mitochondrial-SR tethering. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2015;78:123-8 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled "Mitochondria: From Basic Mitochondrial Biology to Cardiovascular Disease." ..
- Song M, Gong G, Burelle Y, Gustafsson Ã, Kitsis R, Matkovich S, et al. Interdependence of Parkin-Mediated Mitophagy and Mitochondrial Fission in Adult Mouse Hearts. Circ Res. 2015;117:346-51 pubmed publisher..Ablating Drp1 in adult mouse cardiac myocytes not only interrupts mitochondrial fission, but also markedly upregulates Parkin, thus provoking mitophagic mitochondrial depletion that contributes to the lethal cardiomyopathy. ..
- Song M, Matkovich S, Zhang Y, Hammer D, Dorn G. Combined cardiomyocyte PKCÎ´ and PKCÎµ gene deletion uncovers their central role in restraining developmental and reactive heart growth. Sci Signal. 2015;8:ra39 pubmed publisher..These growth-suppressing effects of novel PKCs have implications for therapeutic inhibition of PKCs in cancer, heart, and other diseases. ..
- Dorn G. Mitochondrial dynamics in heart disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:233-41 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Mitochondrial dynamics and physiology. ..
- Dorn G. Central Parkin: The evolving role of Parkin in the heart. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1857:1307-1312 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'EBEC 2016: 19th European Bioenergetics Conference, Riva del Garda, Italy, July 2-6, 2016. ..
- ..Recent findings have also uncovered an unsuspected role for Parkin-mediated mitochondrial turnover in the normal perinatal transformation of myocardial metabolism. ..
- Dorn G, Scorrano L. Two close, too close: sarcoplasmic reticulum-mitochondrial crosstalk and cardiomyocyte fate. Circ Res. 2010;107:689-99 pubmed publisher..Here, we review our present understanding of the structural basis and the functional consequences of the close interaction between sarcoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria on cardiomyocyte function and death...
- Dorn G. GRK mythology: G-protein receptor kinases in cardiovascular disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2009;87:455-63 pubmed publisher..Here, recent developments are reviewed, with an emphasis on novel GRK functions and signaling pathways. ..
- Chen Y, Liu Y, Dorn G. Mitochondrial fusion is essential for organelle function and cardiac homeostasis. Circ Res. 2011;109:1327-31 pubmed publisher..Interruption of mitochondrial fusion causes lethal cardiac failure at a time corresponding to 3 or 4 cycles of unopposed mitochondrial fission. ..
- Song M, Mihara K, Chen Y, Scorrano L, Dorn G. Mitochondrial fission and fusion factors reciprocally orchestrate mitophagic culling in mouse hearts and cultured fibroblasts. Cell Metab. 2015;21:273-85 pubmed publisher..Drp1, MPTP, and cardiomyocyte mitophagy are functionally integrated. Mitochondrial fission and fusion have opposing roles during in vivo cardiac mitochondrial quality control. ..
- Dorn G, Clark C, Eschenbacher W, Kang M, Engelhard J, Warner S, et al. MARF and Opa1 control mitochondrial and cardiac function in Drosophila. Circ Res. 2011;108:12-7 pubmed publisher..Postulated mitochondrial-endoplasmic reticulum interactions mediated uniquely by mfn2 appear dispensable to functioning of the fly heart. ..
- Song M, Chen Y, Gong G, Murphy E, Rabinovitch P, Dorn G. Super-suppression of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species signaling impairs compensatory autophagy in primary mitophagic cardiomyopathy. Circ Res. 2014;115:348-53 pubmed publisher..A therapeutic window for mitochondrial ROS suppression should minimize the former while retaining the latter, which we achieved by expressing lower levels of catalase. ..
- Dorn G, Matkovich S, Eschenbacher W, Zhang Y. A human 3' miR-499 mutation alters cardiac mRNA targeting and function. Circ Res. 2012;110:958-67 pubmed publisher..This first description of in vivo effects from a natural human miR mutation outside the seed sequence supports comprehensive studies of individual phenotypes or disease-modification conferred by miR mutations. ..
- Gong G, Song M, Csordás G, Kelly D, Matkovich S, Dorn G. Parkin-mediated mitophagy directs perinatal cardiac metabolic maturation in mice. Science. 2015;350:aad2459 pubmed publisher..Mitophagic mitochondrial removal underlies developmental cardiomyocyte mitochondrial plasticity and metabolic transitioning of perinatal hearts. ..
- Xu H, Dorn G, Shetty A, Parihar A, Dave T, Robinson S, et al. A Genome-Wide Association Study of Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy in African Americans. J Pers Med. 2018;8: pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a novel locus for IDC in African Americans and provide additional insights into the genetic architecture and etiology. ..