Michael S Diamond
Affiliation: Washington University School of Medicine
- Hyde J, Chen R, Trobaugh D, Diamond M, Weaver S, Klimstra W, et al. The 5' and 3' ends of alphavirus RNAs--Non-coding is not non-functional. Virus Res. 2015;206:99-107 pubmed publisher..g., the repeated sequence elements in the 3' UTR) whose function remains obscure. Thus, key questions remain as to the function of these short yet influential untranslated segments of alphavirus RNAs. ..
- Gorman M, Caine E, Zaitsev K, Begley M, Weger Lucarelli J, Uccellini M, et al. An Immunocompetent Mouse Model of Zika Virus Infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2018;23:672-685.e6 pubmed publisher..An immunocompetent mouse model of ZIKV infection may prove valuable for evaluating countermeasures to limit disease. ..
- Fox J, Long F, Edeling M, Lin H, van Duijl Richter M, Fong R, et al. Broadly Neutralizing Alphavirus Antibodies Bind an Epitope on E2 and Inhibit Entry and Egress. Cell. 2015;163:1095-1107 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that B domain antigenic determinants could be targeted for vaccine or antibody therapeutic development against multiple alphaviruses of global concern. ..
- Zhang R, Kim A, Fox J, Nair S, Basore K, Klimstra W, et al. Mxra8 is a receptor for multiple arthritogenic alphaviruses. Nature. 2018;557:570-574 pubmed publisher..Pharmacological targeting of Mxra8 could form a strategy for mitigating infection and disease by multiple arthritogenic alphaviruses. ..
- Diamond M, Pierson T. Molecular Insight into Dengue Virus Pathogenesis and Its Implications for Disease Control. Cell. 2015;162:488-92 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent advances in our understanding of the biology of DENV and describe knowledge gaps that have impacted the development of effective vaccines and therapeutics. ..
- Fernandez E, Kose N, Edeling M, Adhikari J, Sapparapu G, Lazarte S, et al. Mouse and Human Monoclonal Antibodies Protect against Infection by Multiple Genotypes of Japanese Encephalitis Virus. MBio. 2018;9: pubmed publisher..Here, we generated a panel of mouse and human neutralizing monoclonal antibodies and evaluated their inhibitory activity, epitope location, and capacity for protection against multiple JEV genotypes in mice. ..
- Nair S, Huynh J, Lampropoulou V, Loginicheva E, Esaulova E, Gounder A, et al. Irg1 expression in myeloid cells prevents immunopathology during M. tuberculosis infection. J Exp Med. 2018;215:1035-1045 pubmed publisher..Thus, an Irg1 regulatory axis modulates inflammation to curtail Mtb-induced lung disease. ..
- Johnson B, Vanblargan L, Xu W, White J, Shan C, Shi P, et al. Human IFIT3 Modulates IFIT1 RNA Binding Specificity and Protein Stability. Immunity. 2018;48:487-499.e5 pubmed publisher..Our experiments establish differences in the regulation of IFIT1 orthologs and define targets for modulation of human IFIT protein activity. ..
- Proença Módena J, Sesti Costa R, Pinto A, Richner J, Lazear H, Lucas T, et al. Oropouche virus infection and pathogenesis are restricted by MAVS, IRF-3, IRF-7, and type I interferon signaling pathways in nonmyeloid cells. J Virol. 2015;89:4720-37 pubmed publisher..Our results establish that a MAVS-dependent type I IFN signaling pathway has a dominant role in restricting OROV infection and pathogenesis in vivo. ..
- Jagger B, Miner J, Cao B, Arora N, Smith A, Kovacs A, et al. Gestational Stage and IFN-λ Signaling Regulate ZIKV Infection In Utero. Cell Host Microbe. 2017;22:366-376.e3 pubmed publisher..Our data establish a model of gestational stage dependence of ZIKV pathogenesis and IFN-λ-mediated immunity at the maternal-fetal interface. ..
- Nair S, Poddar S, Shimak R, Diamond M. Interferon Regulatory Factor 1 Protects against Chikungunya Virus-Induced Immunopathology by Restricting Infection in Muscle Cells. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..The antiviral actions of IRF-1 resulted in decreased local inflammatory responses in joint-associated tissues, which prevented immunopathology. ..
- Miner J, Diamond M. Dengue Antibodies, then Zika: A Fatal Sequence in Mice. Immunity. 2017;46:771-773 pubmed publisher..In a recent issue of Science, Bardina et al. (2017) demonstrated that passive transfer of immune plasma against DENV and West Nile virus (WNV) can enhance Zika virus (ZIKV) infection and pathogenesis in mice. ..
- Fernandez E, Diamond M. Vaccination strategies against Zika virus. Curr Opin Virol. 2017;23:59-67 pubmed publisher..Here, we review vaccine strategies under development for ZIKV and the issues surrounding their usage. ..
- Hastings A, Yockey L, Jagger B, Hwang J, Uraki R, Gaitsch H, et al. TAM Receptors Are Not Required for Zika Virus Infection in Mice. Cell Rep. 2017;19:558-568 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that, in mice, TAM receptors are not required for ZIKV entry and infection. ..
- Fox J, Diamond M. Immune-Mediated Protection and Pathogenesis of Chikungunya Virus. J Immunol. 2016;197:4210-4218 pubmed..In this review, based primarily on advances from recent studies in mice, we discuss the innate and adaptive immune factors that control CHIKV dissemination and clearance or contribute to pathogenesis. ..
- Proença Módena J, Hyde J, Sesti Costa R, Lucas T, Pinto A, Richner J, et al. Interferon-Regulatory Factor 5-Dependent Signaling Restricts Orthobunyavirus Dissemination to the Central Nervous System. J Virol. 2016;90:189-205 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate an important role for IRF-5 in preventing neuroinvasion and the ensuing encephalitis caused by OROV and LACV. ..
- Shan C, Muruato A, Jagger B, RICHNER J, Nunes B, Medeiros D, et al. A single-dose live-attenuated vaccine prevents Zika virus pregnancy transmission and testis damage. Nat Commun. 2017;8:676 pubmed publisher..Here Shan et al. show that a single dose of a live-attenuated Zika vaccine prevents infection, testis damage and transmission to the fetus during pregnancy in different animal models. ..
- Zhu Z, Gorman M, McKenzie L, Chai J, Hubert C, Prager B, et al. Zika virus has oncolytic activity against glioblastoma stem cells. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2843-2857 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that ZIKV is an oncolytic virus that can preferentially target GSCs; thus, genetically modified strains that further optimize safety could have therapeutic efficacy for adult glioblastoma patients. ..
- Richner J, Jagger B, Shan C, Fontes C, Dowd K, Cao B, et al. Vaccine Mediated Protection Against Zika Virus-Induced Congenital Disease. Cell. 2017;170:273-283.e12 pubmed publisher..As modified mRNA and live-attenuated vaccine platforms can restrict in utero transmission of ZIKV in mice, their further development in humans to prevent congenital ZIKV syndrome is warranted. ..
- Richner J, Himansu S, Dowd K, Butler S, Salazar V, Fox J, et al. Modified mRNA Vaccines Protect against Zika Virus Infection. Cell. 2017;168:1114-1125.e10 pubmed publisher..A modified mRNA vaccine can prevent ZIKV disease and be adapted to reduce the risk of sensitizing individuals to subsequent exposure to DENV, should this become a clinically relevant concern. ..