S M Devine
Affiliation: Washington University School of Medicine
- Reduced risk of acute GVHD following mobilization of HLA-identical sibling donors with GM-CSF aloneS M Devine
Siteman Cancer Center and Department of Medicine, Division of Oncology, Section of Stem Cell Transplantation, Leukemia, and Stem Cell Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 36:531-8. 2005..Donor PBPC grafts mobilized with GM-CSF alone result in prompt hematopoietic engraftment despite lower CD34+ cell doses and may reduce the risk of grades II-IV acute GVHD following HLA-matched PBPC transplantation...
- Mesenchymal stem cells distribute to a wide range of tissues following systemic infusion into nonhuman primatesSteven M Devine
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, USA
Blood 101:2999-3001. 2003..These data suggest that MSCs initially distribute broadly following systemic infusion and later may participate in ongoing cellular turnover and replacement in a wide variety of tissues...
- Rapid mobilization of CD34+ cells following administration of the CXCR4 antagonist AMD3100 to patients with multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin's lymphomaSteven M Devine
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1095-102. 2004..We performed a phase I study assessing the safety and clinical effects of AMD3100 in patients with multiple myeloma (MM) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL)...
- Mesenchymal stem cells are capable of homing to the bone marrow of non-human primates following systemic infusionS M Devine
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Exp Hematol 29:244-55. 2001....
- Once daily ganciclovir as initial pre-emptive therapy delayed until threshold CMV load > or =10000 copies/ml: a safe and effective strategy for allogeneic stem cell transplant patientsL A Verkruyse
Section of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Leukemia, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 37:51-6. 2006..We conclude delaying pre-emptive therapy with ODG until whole blood QPCR> or =10 000 copies/ml is a safe and effective strategy for CMV viremia after allogeneic stem cell transplant in clinically stable patients...
- The relative quiescence of hematopoietic stem cells in nonhuman primatesN Mahmud
Hematology/Oncology Section and Transplantation Surgery Section, Biologic Resources Laboratory, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago 60607-7173, USA
Blood 97:3061-8. 2001..The relative quiescence of PHSCs observed in this nonhuman primate model, in contrast to murine PHSCs, might explain the current barriers to genetic modification and ex vivo expansion of human PHSCs...
- Low-dose short-course intravenous ganciclovir as pre-emptive therapy for CMV viremia post allo-PBSC transplantationR Vij
Section of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Leukemia, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 32:703-7. 2003..No patient on LDSC GCV exhibited a decline in their ANC below 500/microl and none required growth factors. LDSC GCV is extremely well tolerated and cost-effective as PT for CMV viremia following allo-PBSC transplantation...
- Human progenitor cells rapidly mobilized by AMD3100 repopulate NOD/SCID mice with increased frequency in comparison to cells from the same donor mobilized by granulocyte colony stimulating factorDavid A Hess
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Oncology, Hematopoietic Development and Malignancy Group, Washington University School of Medicine, 4940 Parkview Place, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13:398-411. 2007..Thus, AMD3100 mobilized peripheral blood represents a rapidly obtained, highly repopulating source of hematopoietic progenitors for clinical transplantation...
- A randomized double-blind trial of hydroxychloroquine for the prevention of chronic graft-versus-host disease after allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantationThomas Fong
Division of Oncology, Section of Leukemia and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13:1201-6. 2007..15). With a median follow-up of 18 months, relapse-free and overall survivals (OS) were comparable in both groups. In summary, in this randomized trial, the addition of HCQ to single-agent CSA had no effects on aGVHD or cGVHD or survival...
- Baboon mesenchymal stem cells can be genetically modified to secrete human erythropoietin in vivoA Bartholomew
Department of Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Hum Gene Ther 12:1527-41. 2001..These data demonstrate that nonhuman primate MSCs can be engineered to deliver a secreted and biologically active gene product. Therefore, human MSCs may be an effective target for future human gene therapy trials...
- Mobilizing stem cells from normal donors: is it possible to improve upon G-CSF?A F Cashen
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 39:577-88. 2007..Here, we review the current state of stem cell mobilization in normal donors and discuss novel strategies for donor stem cell mobilization...
- Long-term remissions in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome and secondary acute myelogenous leukemia undergoing allogeneic transplantation following a reduced intensity conditioning regimen of 550 cGy total body irradiation and cyclophosphamideChristopher L Hallemeier
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Oncology, Section of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Leukemia, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:749-57. 2006..In patients with MDS, this is an effective RIC regimen for allogeneic transplantation that can be used as an alternative to other RIC or conventional conditioning regimens...
- Severity of Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD) in allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients: evaluation of a CDAD severity grading systemErik R Dubberke
Division of Infectious Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:208-11. 2007..Patients with severe CDAD had significantly shorter median survival times and more adverse outcomes than patients with mild or moderate CDAD...
- Comorbidities, not age, impact outcomes in autologous stem cell transplant for relapsed non-Hodgkin lymphomaTanya M Wildes
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 14:840-6. 2008..Comorbidities significantly influenced TRM and OS in this retrospective cohort. Future study should focus on improving tolerability of conditioning and careful prospective evaluation of comorbidities and their association with outcomes...
- Allogeneic blood cell transplantation following reduced-intensity conditioning is effective therapy for older patients with myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasiaSteven M Devine
Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program, Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Illinois College of Medicine, 840 South Wood Street, M C 787, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Blood 99:2255-8. 2002..These results support the feasibility and effectiveness of reduced-intensity conditioning prior to allogeneic HSC transplantation for older patients with advanced MMM...
- Recent advances in allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantationSteven M Devine
Division of Oncology, Section of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Leukemia, Department of Medicine, Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine
J Lab Clin Med 141:7-32. 2003
- Donor CMV serostatus has no impact on CMV viremia or disease when prophylactic granulocyte transfusions are given following allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantationRavi Vij
Section of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Leukemia, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110 1093, USA
Blood 101:2067-9. 2003..This knowledge may help expand the donor pool in areas with a high prevalence of CMV in the general population...
- Fludarabine and melphalan-based conditioning for patients with advanced hematological malignancies relapsing after a previous hematopoietic stem cell transplantS M Devine
Stem Cell Transplant Program, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:557-62. 2001..However, the regimen may be more beneficial when applied to patients undergoing allogeneic HSC transplantation earlier in their disease course...
- Haematological malignancies developing in previously healthy individuals who received haematopoietic growth factors: report from the Research on Adverse Drug Events and Reports (RADAR) projectCharles L Bennett
VA Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Br J Haematol 135:642-50. 2006..While a causal relationship with haematological malignancies cannot be demonstrated, long-term follow-up among healthy individuals who receive haematopoietic growth factors is needed...
- Angiogenic cells can be rapidly mobilized and efficiently harvested from the blood following treatment with AMD3100Rebecca M Shepherd
Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Campus Box 8007, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
Blood 108:3662-7. 2006..These data show that AMD3100 is a potent and rapid mobilizer of angiogenic cells and demonstrate the feasibility of obtaining and storing large numbers of angiogenic cells by leukapheresis...
- Mesenchymal stem cells: will they have a role in the clinic?Steven M Devine
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Chicago, USA
J Cell Biochem Suppl 38:73-9. 2002..This review focuses on the background and rationale for performing clinical studies of MSC transplantation and will discuss the potential role that MSC may play in the correction or modification of human diseases...
- Clinical application of hematopoietic progenitor cell expansion: current status and future prospectsS M Devine
Department of Medicine, Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 31:241-52. 2003....
- Rapid mobilization of functional donor hematopoietic cells without G-CSF using AMD3100, an antagonist of the CXCR4/SDF-1 interactionSteven M Devine
The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH, USA
Blood 112:990-8. 2008..This trial was registered as no. NCT00241358 at www.ClinicalTrials.gov...
- Addition of infliximab to standard acute graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis following allogeneic peripheral blood cell transplantationMehdi Hamadani
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Arthur G James Cancer Hospital, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 14:783-9. 2008..The addition of infliximab to standard GVHD prophylaxis did not lower the risk of GVHD and was associated with an increased risk of bacterial and invasive fungal infections...
- The impact of HMG-CoA reductase inhibition on the incidence and severity of graft-versus-host disease in patients with acute leukemia undergoing allogeneic transplantationMehdi Hamadani
Blood 111:3901-2. 2008
- Cotransplantation of HLA-identical sibling culture-expanded mesenchymal stem cells and hematopoietic stem cells in hematologic malignancy patientsHillard M Lazarus
Department of Medicine, The University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:389-98. 2005..The optimal MSC dose and frequency of administration to prevent or treat GVHD during allogeneic HSC transplantation should be evaluated further in phase II clinical trials...
- Phase I study of decitabine alone or in combination with valproic acid in acute myeloid leukemiaWilliam Blum
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:3884-91. 2007..To determine an optimal biologic dose (OBD) of decitabine as a single agent and then the maximum-tolerated dose (MTD) of valproic acid (VA) combined with decitabine in acute myeloid leukemia (AML)...
- Reduced duration of cytopenias following melphalan conditioning and autografting for multiple myelomaSteven M Devine
Blood 99:4251-2; author reply 4252. 2002
- The use of AMD3100 plus G-CSF for autologous hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilization is superior to G-CSF aloneNeal Flomenberg
Thomas Jefferson University, 125 S Ninth St, Ste 801 Sheridan Bldg, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Blood 106:1867-74. 2005..All study objectives were met without significant toxicity. The results demonstrate that the combination of A + G is generally safe, effective, and superior to G alone for autologous HPC mobilization...
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for peripheral T cell lymphomas; evidence of graft-versus-T cell lymphoma effectMehdi Hamadani
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 14:480-3. 2008
- Fatal case of protothecosis in a hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipient after infliximab treatment for graft-versus-host diseaseJad A Khoury
Blood 104:3414-5. 2004