Ellen F Binder
Affiliation: Washington University School of Medicine
- Effects of exercise training on frailty in community-dwelling older adults: results of a randomized, controlled trialEllen F Binder
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, Claude Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1921-8. 2002..The aim of this study was to determine the effects of intensive exercise training (ET) on measures of physical frailty in older community-dwelling men and women...
- Predictors of short-term functional decline in survivors of nursing home-acquired lower respiratory tract infectionEllen F Binder
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 58:60-7. 2003....
- Effects of extended outpatient rehabilitation after hip fracture: a randomized controlled trialEllen F Binder
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
JAMA 292:837-46. 2004..Hip fractures are common in the elderly, and despite standard rehabilitation, many patients fail to regain their prefracture ambulatory or functional status...
- Effects of progressive resistance training on body composition in frail older adults: results of a randomized, controlled trialEllen F Binder
Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, 4488 Forest Park Blvd, Suite 201, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:1425-31. 2005..Limited information is available regarding the effects of PRT on lean and fat mass in frail elderly persons...
- Persistent pain in frail older adults after hip fracture repairCynthia Herrick
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:2062-8. 2004..Clinicians should assess for, and address, persistent pain in this patient population...
- Characteristics of frail older adult driversDavid B Carr
Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Science, School of Medicine, Wahington University, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1125-9. 2006..To determine the prevalence of driving in older adults with mild to moderate physical frailty and to compare characteristics of current frail older adult drivers with those of former drivers in the sample...
- Training-induced strength and functional adaptations after hip fractureHelen H Host
Program in Physical Therapy, Washington University School of Medicine, Campus Box 8502, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Phys Ther 87:292-303. 2007....
- Attenuation of cardiovascular adaptations to exercise in frail octogenariansAli A Ehsani
Section of Applied Physiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Appl Physiol 95:1781-8. 2003..Furthermore, Q likely plays a greater role in the adaptive increase in V(O2 peak) in old men than old women...
- Effects of exercise training added to ongoing hormone replacement therapy on bone mineral density in frail elderly womenDennis T Villareal
Washington University Claude Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:985-90. 2003..To determine whether exercise training added to ongoing hormone replacement therapy (HRT) increases bone mineral density (BMD) in physically frail elderly women...
- A prospective study of outcomes of nursing home residents with chronic kidney disease with and without anemiaEllen F Binder
Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Science, School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:877-83. 2012..To determine whether anemia is a risk factor for functional decline in nursing home (NH) residents with chronic kidney disease...
- Risk of osteoporotic fracture in elderly patients taking warfarin: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation 2Brian F Gage
Division of General Medical Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:241-6. 2006..Vitamin K antagonists such as warfarin inhibit this process. Our goal was to quantify the association between warfarin and osteoporotic fractures in patients with atrial fibrillation...
- Nursing assessment of iII nursing home residentsCathy R Barry
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 28:4-7. 2002
- Whole-body and muscle protein metabolism are not affected by acute deviations from habitual protein intake in older men: the Hormonal Regulators of Muscle and Metabolism in Aging (HORMA) StudyKevin E Yarasheski
Department of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, MO, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 94:172-81. 2011..Acute deviations in protein intake before the quantification of protein kinetics in older humans may explain the controversy over the effects of older age on muscle protein synthesis and proteolysis rates...
- Falls in older adults: risk assessment, management and preventionKyle C Moylan
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Am J Med 120:493.e1-6. 2007..Referral to a geriatrician should be considered for patients with other common geriatric syndromes, such as cognitive impairment, incontinence, or depression...
- Effects of trimonthly progestin administration on the endometrium in elderly postmenopausal women who receive hormone replacement therapy: a pilot studyAnil B Pinto
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:11-5. 2003..CONCLUSION: Trimonthly progestin administration in elderly postmenopausal women who receive hormone replacement therapy may be a reasonable alternative to the monthly administration of progestin in hormone replacement therapy...
- Measuring treatment fidelity in a rehabilitation intervention studyMary W Hildebrand
Department of Occupational Therapy, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 91:715-24. 2012..We recommend that all treatment researchers in rehabilitation disciplines use these or similar methods as a vital step in the development and testing of evidence-based rehabilitation interventions...
- Hormonal regulators of muscle and metabolism in aging (HORMA): design and conduct of a complex, double masked multicenter trialE Todd Schroeder
Division of Biokinesiology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Clin Trials 4:560-71. 2007..This report describes the challenges of conducting a complex clinical investigation assessing the effects of anabolic hormones on body composition, physical function, and metabolism during aging...
- Effect of do-not-resuscitate orders on hospitalization of nursing home residents evaluated for lower respiratory infectionsSteven C Zweig
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:51-8. 2004....
- Does hospitalization impact survival after lower respiratory infection in nursing home residents?Robin L Kruse
Department of Family and Community Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Med Care 42:860-70. 2004..Lower respiratory infection (LRI) is the leading cause of hospitalization for nursing home residents, but hospitalization is costly and may cause complications...
- Exercise training program for older adults. Incentives and disincentives for participationJoanne Kraenzle Schneider
Saint Louis University School of Nursing, 3525 Caroline Mall, St. Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 29:21-31. 2003..To better tailor an exercise program to the needs of this older age group, nurses working with older adults should keep in mind the lifestyle, age-specific obligations, and set of values affecting this cohort's participation...
- REHABILITATION INTENSIFICATION POST HIP FRACTUREELLEN BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2002..If successful, such a model of rehabilitation "intensification" could be applied to outpatient and nursing home settings and targeted at hip fracture patients at high risk for persistent disability and functional decline. ..
- Testosterone Therapy After Hip Fracture in Elderly WomenELLEN BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2005..These data will be used to develop a full-scale proposal to test the long-term hypothesis that testosterone therapy combined with exercise training can improve physical function after a hip fracture. ..
- COMBINING EXERCISE AND COGNITIVE TRAINING TO IMPROVE EVERYDAY FUNCTIONELLEN BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- COMBINING EXERCISE AND COGNITIVE TRAINING TO IMPROVE EVERYDAY FUNCTIONMARK A MC DANIEL; Fiscal Year: 2010....