Melissa M Ahern
Affiliation: Washington State University
- Relations between health indicators and residential proximity to coal mining in West VirginiaMichael Hendryx
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, One Medical Center Dr, PO Box 9190, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Am J Public Health 98:669-71. 2008..Research is recommended to ascertain the mechanisms, magnitude, and consequences of a community coal-mining exposure effect...
- Access to health care and community social capitalMichael S Hendryx
Washington Institute for Mental Illness Research and Training, Washington State University, Spokane 99203, USA
Health Serv Res 37:87-103. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: The results observed for 22 major U.S. cities are consistent with the hypothesis that community social capital enables better access to care, perhaps through improving community accountability mechanisms...
- Social capital and trust in providersMelissa M Ahern
Department of Health Policy and Administration, Washington State University, 668 N Riverpoint Blvd, Box B, Spokane, WA 99202, USA
Soc Sci Med 57:1195-203. 2003..Efforts to build trust and collaboration in a community may improve trust in physicians, health care quality, access, and preserve local health care control...
- Hospitalization patterns associated with Appalachian coal miningMichael Hendryx
Department of Community Medicine and Institute for Health Policy Research, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 70:2064-70. 2007..Exposure to particulates or other pollutants generated by coal mining activities may be linked to increased risk of COPD and hypertension hospitalizations. Limitations in the data likely result in an underestimate of associations...
- Social capital and risk for chronic illnessesMelissa M Ahern
Department of Health Policy and Administration, Washington State University Spokane, 310 N Riverpoint Blvd, PO Box 1495, Spokane, WA 99210, USA
Chronic Illn 1:183-90. 2005..The model hypothesizes that personal social support and collective social capital are related to risk for chronic illnesses...
- A national study of the association between food environments and county-level health outcomesMelissa Ahern
Department of Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, Washington State University, Spokane, Washington 99210, USA
J Rural Health 27:367-79. 2011..This national, county-level study examines the relationship between food availability and access, and health outcomes (mortality, diabetes, and obesity rates) in both metro and non-metro areas...
- Avoidable hospitalizations for diabetes: comorbidity risksMelissa M Ahern
Department of Health Policy and Administration, Washington State University, WA 99210, USA
Dis Manag 10:347-55. 2007..3 billion. Recommendations are made for how disease management programs for diabetes could incorporate treatment for comorbid conditions to reduce hospitalization risk...
- The association between mountaintop mining and birth defects among live births in central Appalachia, 1996-2003Melissa M Ahern
Department of Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, Washington State University, P O Box 1495, Spokane, WA 99210, USA
Environ Res 111:838-46. 2011..Both socioeconomic and environmental influences in mountaintop mining areas may be contributing factors...
- Residence in coal-mining areas and low-birth-weight outcomesMelissa Ahern
Department of Pharmacotherapy, Washington State University, Spokane, WA, 99202, USA
Matern Child Health J 15:974-9. 2011..Air and water quality assessments have been largely missing from mining communities, but the need for them is indicated by these findings...
- Anesthesia staffing and anesthetic complications during cesarean delivery: a retrospective analysisDaniel C Simonson
The Spokane Eye Surgery Center, and Department of Health Policy and Administration, Washington State University, Spokane 99203, USA
Nurs Res 56:9-17. 2007..Research is needed to assist hospitals and anesthesia groups in making cost-effective staffing choices...
- Community participation and the emergence of late-life depressive symptoms: differences between women and menMelissa M Ahern
Department of Pharmacotherapy, Washington State University, Spokane, Washington, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 17:1463-70. 2008..To understand the role of community participation in prevention of first lifetime depressive episode in older women and men...
- Improving the environmental quality component of the County Health Rankings modelMichael Hendryx
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Am J Public Health 103:727-32. 2013..We examined the association between environmental quality measures and health outcomes by using the County Health Rankings data, and tested whether a revised environmental quality measure for 1 state could improve the models...