Affiliation: Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Application of multicriteria decision analysis in environmental decision makingGregory A Kiker
U S Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Environmental Laboratory, 3909 Halls Ferry Road, Vicksburg, Mississippi 39180, USA
Integr Environ Assess Manag 1:95-108. 2005..A generalized framework for decision analysis is proposed to highlight the fundamental ingredients for more structured and tractable environmental decision making...
- From optimization to adaptation: shifting paradigms in environmental management and their application to remedial decisionsIgor Linkov
Cambridge Environmental, 58 Charles Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02141, USA
Integr Environ Assess Manag 2:92-8. 2006..A preliminary framework combining the 2 concepts is proposed for future testing and discussion...
- Nanotoxicology and nanomedicine: making hard decisionsIgor Linkov
US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Brookline, Massachusetts 02446, USA
Nanomedicine 4:167-71. 2008..This can be achieved through an innovative combination of toxicology, risk assessment modeling, and tools developed in the field of multicriteria decision analysis (MCDA)...
- Enhanced adaptive management: integrating decision analysis, scenario analysis and environmental modeling for the EvergladesMatteo Convertino
1 Contractor, United States Army Corps of Engineers, Engineering Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS 2
Sci Rep 3:2922. 2013....
- A decision analytic approach to exposure-based chemical prioritizationJade Mitchell
Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e70911. 2013..The strength of this approach is the ability to integrate relevant statistical and mechanistic data with expert judgment, allowing for an initial tier assessment that can further inform targeted testing and risk management strategies. ..
- Environmental risk management for radiological accidents: integrating risk assessment and decision analysis for remediation at different spatial scalesBoris Yatsalo
Obninsk Institute for Nuclear Power Engineering branch of National Research Nuclear University, Moscow Engineering Physics Institute OINPE NRNU MEPhI, Obninsk, Russia
Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:393-5. 2011..This article briefly summarizes the approach used to inform risk-based land management and remediation decision making after the Chernobyl, Soviet Ukraine, accident in 1986...
- Using our brains to develop better policyIgor Linkov
1U S Army Engineer Research and Development Center, 3909 Halls Ferry Rd, Vicksburg, MS 39180, USA
Risk Anal 32:374-80. 2012..Future discoveries in cognitive neuroscience will likely bring further applications to decision practice...
- Coupling multi-criteria decision analysis, life-cycle assessment, and risk assessment for emerging threatsIgor Linkov
Environmental Laboratory, U S Army Research and Development Center, Concord, Massachusetts 01742, USA
Environ Sci Technol 45:5068-74. 2011..Our approach is illustrated with two separate cases: nanomaterials and contaminated sediment remediation...
- Use of multicriteria decision analysis to support weight of evidence evaluationIgor Linkov
Environmental Laboratory, U S Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS, USA
Risk Anal 31:1211-25. 2011..It also provides justifiable methods for selecting remedial alternatives consistent with stakeholder and decision-maker values...
- A decision-directed approach for prioritizing research into the impact of nanomaterials on the environment and human healthIgor Linkov
US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, US Army Corps of Engineers, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 2718, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 6:784-7. 2011....
- Weight-of-evidence evaluation in environmental assessment: review of qualitative and quantitative approachesIgor Linkov
US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS 39180, United States
Sci Total Environ 407:5199-205. 2009....
- Flood risk management: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and layperson perceptionsMatthew Wood
U S Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, Environmental Laboratory, Vicksburg, MS, USA
Risk Anal 32:1349-68. 2012..Needs of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) flood preparedness and response program are discussed in the context of flood risk mental models...
- Application of stochastic multiattribute analysis to assessment of single walled carbon nanotube synthesis processesLaure Canis
U S Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, Concord, Massachusetts 01742, USA
Environ Sci Technol 44:8704-11. 2010..No single process pathway dominates under all weight scenarios, but it is likely that some inferior process technologies could be identified as low priorities for further research...
- A risk-informed decision framework for setting environmental windows for dredging projectsBurton C Suedel
U S Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, Mississippi 39180 6199, USA
Sci Total Environ 403:1-11. 2008..A hypothetical application of the framework for protection of Pacific herring (Clupea pallasii) in San Francisco Bay is discussed...
- Inferring species richness and turnover by statistical multiresolution texture analysis of satellite imageryMatteo Convertino
Risk and Decision Science Team, Environmental Laboratory, Engineering Research and Development Center, United States Army Corps of Engineers, Concord, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e46616. 2012....
- Integrating legal liabilities in nanomanufacturing risk managementMayank Mohan
U S Army Engineer Research and Development Center, 696 Virginia Rd, Concord, Massachusetts, USA
Environ Sci Technol 46:7955-62. 2012..We illustrate the framework through the hypothetical case of a manufacturer of nanoscale titanium dioxide and use the resulting expected legal costs to evaluate alternative risk-management actions...
- Environmental radiation: risk benchmarks or benchmarking risk assessmentMatthew E Bates
Environmental Laboratory, Engineer Research and Development Center, US Army Corps of Engineers, 696 Virginia Road, Concord, Massachusetts 01742, USA
Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:400-3. 2011....
- Absolute risk or relative risk? A study of intraspecies and interspecies extrapolation of chemical-induced cancer riskJeanne Kuo
Department of Physics and Center for Risk Analysis, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
Risk Anal 22:141-57. 2002..The variation in predicted risk between chemicals exceeds the difference in risks resulting from application of these two models. On the whole, it appears that relative risk is a better model...
- Uncertainty in octanol-water partition coefficient: implications for risk assessment and remedial costsIgor Linkov
Cambridge Environmental Inc, 58 Charles Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02141, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:6917-22. 2005..This range of SQOs is estimated to correspond to a difference in remediation costs of $48 million...
- Importance of uncertainty and variability to predicted risks from trophic transfer of PCBs in dredged sedimentsKatherine E von Stackelberg
Menzie Cura and Associates, Inc, Chelmsford, MA 01824, USA
Risk Anal 22:499-512. 2002..The analysis suggests that variability in human exposure parameters is greater than the uncertainty bounds on any particular fractile, given the described assumptions...
- Typological review of environmental performance metrics (with illustrative examples for oil spill response)Thomas P Seager
Civil Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Integr Environ Assess Manag 3:310-21. 2007..The results could improve planning efforts and communication among different federal, state, and local agencies and public or stakeholder groups involved in spill management...
- Site-specific applications of probabilistic health risk assessment: review of the literature since 2000Richard R Lester
Cambridge Environmental Inc, 58 Charles Street, Cambridge, MA, USA
Risk Anal 27:635-58. 2007..This article presents and discusses a broad review of PRA literature published since 2000...
- Application of multicriteria decision analysis tools to two contaminated sediment case studiesBoris I Yatsalo
Obninsk State Technical University of Nuclear Power Engineering, IATE, Studgorodok 1, Obninsk, Kaluga Region, Russia
Integr Environ Assess Manag 3:223-33. 2007..MCDA tools and approaches were constructively used to elicit the strengths and weaknesses of each method when solving the problem...
- Weight of evidence: what is the state of the science?Igor Linkov
Risk Anal 26:573-5; author reply 577. 2006
- The use of spatial modeling in an aquatic food web to estimate exposure and riskKatherine von Stackelberg
Menzie Cura and Associates, Inc, Chelmsford, MA 01824, USA
Sci Total Environ 288:97-110. 2002..Incorporating spatial and temporal variables in food chain models can help support sediment management decisions by providing a quantitative expression of the confidence in risk estimates...