Affiliation: Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Knee strength maintained despite loss of lean body mass during weight loss in older obese adults with knee osteoarthritisXuewen Wang
Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:866-71. 2007..The effects of weight loss on muscle function in older adults have not been well studied. This study determined the effects of a 6-month weight-loss intervention on muscle strength and quality in older obese adults with knee osteoarthritis...
- Weight regain is related to decreases in physical activity during weight lossXuewen Wang
Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:1781-8. 2008..To examine whether adaptations in physical activity energy expenditure (PAEE) and resting metabolic rate (RMR) during weight loss were associated with future weight regain in overweight/obese, older women...
- Effect of exercise intensity on abdominal fat loss during calorie restriction in overweight and obese postmenopausal women: a randomized, controlled trialBarbara J Nicklas
Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, J Paul Sticht Center on Aging, Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1043-52. 2009..Exercise intensity may affect the selective loss of abdominal adipose tissue...
- Resting energy expenditure changes with weight loss: racial differencesXuewen Wang
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:86-91. 2010..254 for total, limb, and trunk, respectively; P < 0.05) independent of baseline REE in white women. Therefore, with weight loss, REE decreased in proportion to the amount of fat and lean mass lost in white, but not black, women...
- Is lost lean mass from intentional weight loss recovered during weight regain in postmenopausal women?Kristen M Beavers
Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, J Paul Sticht Center on Aging, Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 94:767-74. 2011..Despite the well-known recidivism of obesity, surprisingly little is known about the composition of body weight during weight regain...
- Physical, behavioral, and body image characteristics in a tri-racial group of adolescent girlsArlette C Perry
School of Education, PO Box 248065, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33124, USA
Obes Res 12:1670-9. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate physical characteristics, nutrient intake, physical activity level, and body image in white (CC), African-American (AA), and Hispanic-American (HA) female adolescents...
- The relationship between cardiometabolic and hemostatic variables: influence of raceArlette Perry
Laboratory of Clinical and Applied Physiology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33124, USA
Metabolism 57:200-6. 2008..Our findings indicated the t-PA/PAI-1 complex to be the most global indicator of health risk in both WA and AA overweight/obese women...
- Anthropometric correlates of metabolic syndrome components in a diverse sample of overweight/obese womenArlette Perry
Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida, USA
Ethn Dis 18:163-8. 2008....
- Measuring body fat and linking measurements to metabolic syndromeArlette Perry
Ethn Dis 18:235. 2008