Kristen G Hairston
Affiliation: Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Gender differences in the association of visceral and subcutaneous adiposity with adiponectin in African Americans: the Jackson Heart StudyAurelian Bidulescu
Department of Community Health and Preventive Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, 30310, Atlanta, GA, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 13:9. 2013....
- Lifestyle factors and 5-year abdominal fat accumulation in a minority cohort: the IRAS Family StudyKristen G Hairston
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:421-7. 2012..003 and P = 0.01, respectively). Total energy expenditure was also inversely associated with accumulation of VAT. Soluble fiber intake and increased physical activity were related to decreased VAT accumulation over 5 years...
- Five-year change in visceral adipose tissue quantity in a minority cohort: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study (IRAS) family studyKristen G Hairston
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Diabetes Care 32:1553-5. 2009..05 for both). Similar trends have been observed in men. CONCLUSIONS Accumulation of abdominal fat is greatest in young adulthood. These data may be useful in identifying subgroups at risk of type 2 diabetes...
- Sleep duration and five-year abdominal fat accumulation in a minority cohort: the IRAS family studyKristen G Hairston
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Sleep 33:289-95. 2010..To study 5-year change in computed tomography (CT)-derived visceral adipose tissue (VAT) and subcutaneous adipose tissue (SAT) associated with sleep duration in 2 minority groups...
- From politics to parity: using a health disparities index to guide legislative efforts for health equityBryant Cameron Webb
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
Am J Public Health 101:554-60. 2011....
- A metabolically healthy obese phenotype in hispanic participants in the IRAS family studyXanthia F Samaropoulos
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 21:2303-9. 2013..The aim of this study was to measure the prevalence of and describe fat distribution across these phenotypes in a minority population...
- Intensive lifestyle intervention improves physical function among obese adults with knee pain: findings from the Look AHEAD trialCapri G Foy
Division of Public Health Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:83-93. 2011..The ILI condition also resulted in significant weight loss and improved fitness, which are possible mechanisms through which the ILI condition improved physical function...
- Vitamin d, adiposity, and calcified atherosclerotic plaque in african-americansBarry I Freedman
Section on Nephrology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1053, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1076-83. 2010..Inverse associations are reported between circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D and visceral adiposity. The effects of vitamin D levels on atherosclerosis are unknown...
- Sleep duration, insomnia, and coronary heart disease among postmenopausal women in the Women's Health InitiativeMegan Sands-Lincoln
Department of Medicine, Center for Sleep and Circadian Neurobiology, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 22:477-86. 2013..We sought to identify whether self-reported sleep duration and insomnia, based on a validated questionnaire, are associated with increased incident CHD and CVD among postmenopausal women...
- Mentoring programs for underrepresented minority faculty in academic medical centers: a systematic review of the literatureBettina M Beech
Department of Social Sciences and Health Policy, Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Acad Med 88:541-9. 2013..The authors conducted a comprehensive review of published mentoring programs designed for URM faculty to identify "promising practices."..
- Diabetes and adverse mental health among African AmericansDavid L Mount
Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
N C Med J 72:400-1. 2011..Concern about safe insulin prescribing and administration is raised, and the importance of integrated physical and mental health care in the prevention and control of diabetes is highlighted...