T J Smith
Affiliation: Virginia Commonwealth University
- Economic analysis of a randomized clinical trial to compare filgrastim-mobilized peripheral-blood progenitor-cell transplantation and autologous bone marrow transplantation in patients with Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphomaT J Smith
Virginia Commonwealth University, Massey Cancer Center, Richmond 23298 0037, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:5-10. 1997..This study was undertaken to analyze the costs of the two strategies using prospectively collected data from a randomized clinical trial that compared filgrastim-mobilized PBPCT versus ABMT...
- Costs of care associated with non-small-cell lung cancer in a commercially insured cohortB E Hillner
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia and Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0170, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:1420-4. 1998..To examine the cost of incident cases of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in a commercially insured cohort...
- Principles of cost effectiveness analysis for the assessment of current and new therapiesB E Hillner
Massey Cancer Center, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298
J Hematother 2:501-6. 1993....
- Economic analysis of adjuvant interferon alfa-2b in high-risk melanoma based on projections from Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group 1684B E Hillner
Department of Internal Medicine and the Massey Cancer Center, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:2351-8. 1997....
- Hospital and physician volume or specialization and outcomes in cancer treatment: importance in quality of cancer careB E Hillner
Massey Cancer Center and Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0170, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:2327-40. 2000..To conduct a comprehensive review of the health services literature to search for evidence that hospital or physician volume or specialty affects the outcome of cancer care...
- An implantable drug delivery system (IDDS) for refractory cancer pain provides sustained pain control, less drug-related toxicity, and possibly better survival compared with comprehensive medical management (CMM)T J Smith
Massey Cancer Center of Virginia Commonwealth University and other institutions, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Ann Oncol 16:825-33. 2005..This 'as treated' analysis assessed if improvements in pain control, drug toxicity and survival were maintained over time...
- Future strategies needed for palliative careT J Smith
Division of Hematology Oncology, Departments of Medicine and Health Administration, Medical College of Virginia Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0230, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 10:254-61. 2000..Cost constraints will lead to more gaps between the haves and have nots in the United States in the next 5 years...
- Ethics of rural health careL J Lyckholm
Department of Medicine and the Division of Hematology/Oncology, Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA 23298-0037, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 40:131-8. 2001..The academic center has provided expertise and continued education for staff, both individually and within groups, regarding ethical dilemmas...
- Why academic divisions of hematology/oncology are in trouble and some suggestions for resolutionT J Smith
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0230, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:260-4. 2001..Academic divisions of hematology/oncology seem to have difficulty recruiting and retaining excellent productive clinicians. A major reason for this is that salaries do not compete with the private sector for similar work...
- Accelerated superfractionated radiotherapy for inflammatory breast carcinoma: complete response predicts outcome and allows for breast conservationD W Arthur
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Virginia Hospitals of Virginia Commonwealth University VCU, Richmond 23298 0058, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 44:289-96. 1999..The efficacy, failure patterns, and patient tolerance utilizing this approach were analyzed...
- Pamidronate in prevention of bone complications in metastatic breast cancer: a cost-effectiveness analysisB E Hillner
Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University and the Massey Cancer Center, Richmond, VA, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:72-9. 2000..We conducted a post-hoc evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of pamidronate using the results of two randomized trials that evaluated pamidronate 90 mg administered intravenously every month versus placebo...
- Measuring standards of care for early breast cancer in an insured populationB E Hillner
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond 23298, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:1401-8. 1997..To demonstrate the use of a combined data base to evaluate the care for local/regional invasive breast cancer in a large insured population of women aged less than 64 years...
- Percutaneous liver biopsy in adult haemophiliacs with hepatitis C virus: safety of outpatient procedure and impact of human immunodeficiency virus coinfection on the spectrum of liver diseaseR K Sterling
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Haemophilia 13:164-71. 2007..These data support the hypothesis that HIV accelerates fibrosis progression in those coinfected with HCV and highlights the importance of liver histology in this population...
- A comparison of patterns of care of nonsmall cell lung carcinoma patients in a younger and Medigap commercially insured cohortB E Hillner
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia and the Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA
Cancer 83:1930-7. 1998..Commercial health care claims supplemented by clinical staging from cancer registries can address long term practice patterns in patients with cancer...
- Tamoxifen should be cost-effective in reducing breast cancer risk in high-risk womenT J Smith
Department of Medicine, Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:284-6. 2000..To estimate the cost-effectiveness of tamoxifen in the prevention of breast cancer...
- Ensuring quality cancer care by the use of clinical practice guidelines and critical pathwaysT J Smith
Massey Cancer Center, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0230, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:2886-97. 2001..We describe the impact of clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) on improvement in oncology treatment processes or outcomes...
- Palliative care in BMTH M Chung
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology and Palliative Care, Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 43:265-73. 2009..This paper reports on the lack of literature available on palliative care into the BMT and explores areas of future research in the integration of these two fields of medicine...
- Impact on internal doses of photon SAFs derived with the GSF adult male voxel phantomT J Smith
National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon, UK
Health Phys 80:477-85. 2001..Overall, it is found that some tissue doses calculated using the voxel phantoms can differ significantly from those of the MIRD-type phantom; however, the effective dose appears to be quite robust to changes in photon SAFs...
- Driver exposure to combustion particles in the U.S. Trucking industryM E Davis
School of Economics, University of Maine, Orono, Maine 04469, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 4:848-54. 2007..The results are relevant not only to the occupational group of truck drivers being examined but also to the general population that live, commute, or work within proximity to diesel-fueled traffic or trucking terminals...
- The accuracy of cystatin C and commonly used creatinine-based methods for detecting moderate and mild chronic kidney disease in diabetesR J MacIsaac
Endocrine Centre and Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne and Austin Health, Heidelberg West, Victoria, Australia
Diabet Med 24:443-8. 2007..The accuracy of measuring serum cystatin C levels for detecting various stages of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in diabetes is still unclear...
- Transcriptional regulation of the liver beta-galactoside alpha 2,6-sialyltransferase by glucocorticoidsX C Wang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263
J Biol Chem 265:17849-53. 1990..6-fold) but reproducible induction in response to dexamethasone. Implications of this observation to glucocorticoid regulation are discussed...
- Human cytochrome P450 CYP2A13: predominant expression in the respiratory tract and its high efficiency metabolic activation of a tobacco-specific carcinogen, 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanoneT Su
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12201 0509, USA
Cancer Res 60:5074-9. 2000..Together, these findings suggest that CYP2A13 plays important roles in xenobiotic toxicity and tobacco-related tumorigenesis in the human respiratory tract...
- Dose coefficients for the embryo and fetus following intakes of radionuclides by the motherJ W Stather
National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0RQ, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 105:257-64. 2003..For a few radionuclides, however, the dose to the offspring can exceed that to the adult. The reasons for these variations in comparative doses are examined...
- Human physiologic factors in respiratory uptake of 1,3-butadieneY S Lin
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:921-6. 2001....
- Prostaglandin endoperoxide H synthase expression in human thyroid epithelial cellsA G Gianoukakis
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Albany Medical College and Samuel S. Stratton Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 280:C701-8. 2001..Our observations suggest that both cyclooxygenase isoforms may have functional roles in primary human thyroid epithelial cells, and PGHS-2 might predominate under basal and cytokine-activated culture conditions...
- Comparative effects of thyroxine and/or retinoic acid treatment in vivo on growth hormone synthesis and release by pituitaries from thyroidectomized ratsA L Mulloy
Section of Metabolic and Endocrine Disease, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
Horm Metab Res 24:466-70. 1992..Thus T4 and RA did not share similar regulatory effects on GH synthesis and stored GH release but did have similar effects on the fractional release of newly synthesized GH in pituitaries from thyroidectomized male rats...