Affiliation: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Self-esteem, cortisol reactivity, and depressed mood mediated by perceptions of controlAngela Scarpa
Department of Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 5088 Derring Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24601 0436, USA
Biol Psychol 59:93-103. 2002..Findings support biopsychological explanations for depression, with SE, CR, and uncontrollability as putative markers of depressed mood that may be even more pronounced in depressive disorders...
- Community violence exposure in young adultsAngela Scarpa
Department of Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061 0436, USA Email
Trauma Violence Abuse 4:210-27. 2003..Last, theoretical, clinical, and policy implications are suggested that include intervention and prevention programs targeting all forms of violence in urban and rural areas...
- Improving emotion regulation with CBT in young children with high functioning autism spectrum disorders: a pilot studyAngela Scarpa
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Behav Cogn Psychother 39:495-500. 2011....
- Lifetime prevalence and socioemotional effects of hearing about community violenceAngela Scarpa
Department of Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061 0436, USA
J Interpers Violence 21:5-23. 2006....
- Community violence victimization and symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder: the moderating effects of coping and social supportAngela Scarpa
Department of Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, 24061 0436, USA
J Interpers Violence 21:446-69. 2006..Findings are discussed in terms of event controllability, negative social reactions, and coping resources...
- Being hot-tempered: autonomic, emotional, and behavioral distinctions between childhood reactive and proactive aggressionAngela Scarpa
Department of Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 109 Williams Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061 0436, USA
Biol Psychol 84:488-96. 2010..e., internalizing problems), and behavioral (i.e., attention deficits, hyperactivity/impulsivity, and delinquent behavior) functioning, and are discussed in relation to theories of antisocial behavior...
- Family conflict and childhood aggression: the role of child anxietyAkiho Tanaka
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Psychology, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Interpers Violence 25:2127-43. 2010..The hypothesis was partially supported as family conflict was related to increased proactive but not reactive aggression in children with high levels of anxiety. Implications of these findings are discussed...
- The effects of child maltreatment on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axisElizabeth Van Voorhees
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA
Trauma Violence Abuse 5:333-52. 2004....
- Community violence victimization and depressed mood: the moderating effects of coping and social supportSara C Haden
J Interpers Violence 23:1213-34. 2008..Findings suggest that perceptions of support and ability to actively cope with stressors are very important in the adjustment to CV victimization...
- The link between sensation seeking and aggression: a meta-analytic reviewLaura C Wilson
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, USA
Aggress Behav 37:81-90. 2011..Further research on the links between arousal, sensation seeking and aggression can inform clinicians about potential interventions...
- Social anxiety mediates the effect of autism spectrum disorder characteristics on hostility in young adultsSUSAN WILLIAMS WHITE
Virginia Tech, VA 24061, USA
Autism 16:453-64. 2012..In addition, dimensional conceptualization of ASD symptoms, as opposed to a categorical approach solely, may be a useful approach to studying complex personality processes...
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia: a marker for positive social functioning and receptive language skills in children with autism spectrum disordersMichelle A Patriquin
Department of Psychology 0436, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Dev Psychobiol 55:101-12. 2013..These results highlight the importance of studying RSA as a marker of positive function in children with ASD...
- The importance of physician knowledge of autism spectrum disorder: results of a parent surveyRachel A Rhoades
Department of Psychology, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
BMC Pediatr 7:37. 2007....
- Thought control strategies as mediators of trauma symptoms in young women with histories of child sexual abuseAngela Scarpa
Virginia Tech, Psychology, 109 Williams Hall, College of Sciences, Blacksburg, VA 24061 0436, USA
Behav Res Ther 47:809-13. 2009..Future research should examine the roles of these cognitive control strategies as possible avenues of intervention following CSA...
- The psychophysiology of child misconductAngela Scarpa
Department of Psychology (0436, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0436, USA
Pediatr Ann 33:296-304. 2004....