K A Roberto
Affiliation: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Violence against rural older women: promoting community awareness and actionKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology at Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, USA
Australas J Ageing 32:2-7. 2013..To identify opportunities and challenges in promoting community support for rural older women experiencing intimate partner violence (IPV)...
- Research on persistent pain in late life: current topics and challengesKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginial Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Women Aging 19:5-19. 2007..Understanding of pain in late life is hindered by study samples that lack diversity, treatment approaches that are narrowly focused, and a lack of attention to quality of life issues...
- Older women's experiences with multiple health conditions: daily challenges and care practicesKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061, Virginia
Health Care Women Int 26:672-92. 2005..Appreciative of support from family members, at times the women received more help and advice than they preferred...
- Challenges to older women's sense of self in the aftermath of Hurricane KatrinaKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Health Care Women Int 31:981-96. 2010..Follow-up data gathered several months after the initial interviews from 21 of the older women indicated that feelings of displacement persisted as they dealt with health concerns, found a place to live, and managed family roles...
- Family triad perceptions of mild cognitive impairmentKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology 0426, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 66:756-68. 2011..We also investigated contextual conditions associated with perceptions of family dynamics and relationships...
- Older women who experience mistreatment:circumstances and outcomesKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, 24061 0426, USA
J Women Aging 16:3-16. 2004..Most cases were not prosecuted, and the majority of women remain at risk for further abuse. Implications of these data for future research and practice are discussed...
- Older women's experiences with chronic pain: daily challenges and self-care practicesKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology 0426, 237 Wallace Hall, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Women Aging 14:5-23. 2002..Varied acceptance by social network members added to the challenge of adjusting to complications associated with pain. Self-care practices that supported independence contributed to women's perceived success in daily functioning...
- The meaning of osteoporosis in the lives of rural older womenK A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061, USA
Health Care Women Int 22:599-611. 2001..The disease caused many of the women to reassess their own self-concept and decrease their participation in valued social activities. Maintaining independence was an ongoing concern...
- Sexual abuse of vulnerable young and old menKaren A Roberto
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, VA, USA
J Interpers Violence 22:1009-23. 2007....
- Sexual abuse of vulnerable young and old women: a comparative analysis of circumstances and outcomesKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Violence Against Women 11:473-504. 2005..Perpetrators were prosecuted and convicted in six cases. About 12% of the women continued to be at risk of further sexual abuse...
- Care partner responses to the onset of mild cognitive impairmentRosemary Blieszner
Center for Gerontology 0426, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Gerontologist 50:11-22. 2010..We examined characteristics, responses, and psychological well-being of care partners who support and assist older adults recently diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment (MCI)...
- Older women with cardiovascular disease: perceptions of initial experiences and long-term influences on daily lifeErica K Husser
Center for Gerontology and doctoral candidate in the Department of Human Development, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Women Aging 21:3-18. 2009..Postrecovery, 62% of women perceived their heart disease as influencing change in their daily lives. The influence of CVD varied depending on how congruent behavior changes were with their sense of self...
- Care practices and quality of life of rural older women with osteoporosisKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA
J Am Med Womens Assoc 59:295-301. 2004....
- Chronic pain in later life women: issues and challenges from the research literatureKaren A Roberto
Center for Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, State University in Blacksburg, USA
J Am Med Womens Assoc 57:97-9. 2002....
- Prevalence and predictors of depressive symptoms among rural older Australians and AmericansLaurie Buys
Institute for Sustainable Resources, Queensland University of Technology, Carseldine, Queensland, Canada
Aust J Rural Health 16:33-9. 2008..To examine the predictors of depressive symptoms among older married rural Australian and American men and women, using comparable measures from two separate studies...
- Sexual abuse of older adults: APS cases and outcomesPamela B Teaster
Gerontology and Public Health, 306 Health Sciences Building, 900 S Limestone, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0200, USA
Gerontologist 44:788-96. 2004..The purpose of this study was to develop a profile of sexual abuse cases among adults aged 60 and older receiving attention from Adult Protective Services units in Virginia over a 5-year period...
- Assessing the stability of values and health care preferences of older adults: A long-term comparisonVicki C Martin
James Madison University, Department of Nursing, Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 32:23-31; quiz 32-3. 2006..Stability also was noted in the values selected by participants. Four of the top five values selected at the initial interview also were selected 7 years later...
- Assuring quality care: exploring strategies of Medicaid E&D Waiver providersNancy Brossoie
Home Health Care Serv Q 24:81-101. 2005..Discussion focuses on the strengths of using multiple approaches and on increasing provider awareness of complementary QA strategies and reducing the reliance on staff report as a major QA strategy...
- Elderly and disabled waiver services: important dimensions of personal care from the client's perspectiveAnne P Glass
Gerontology Center, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 5775, USA
Home Health Care Serv Q 24:59-77. 2005..Eight important dimensions were identified, including having aides who are reliable, honest, easy to be around, and who possess a good knowledge base...