Roger M Loria
Affiliation: Virginia Commonwealth University
- Immune up-regulation and tumor apoptosis by androstene steroidsRoger M Loria
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1101 East Marshal Street, Richmond, VA 23298 0768, USA
Steroids 67:953-66. 2002..Following host injury, the balance between the epimers and isomers is a determining factor in the overall regulation of hematopoiesis, TH(l)/TH(2) balance, and host resistance to infections and tumor growth...
- Autophagy and the functional roles of Atg5 and beclin-1 in the anti-tumor effects of 3beta androstene 17alpha diol neuro-steroid on malignant glioma cellsMartin R Graf
Department of Neurosurgery Harold F Young Neurosurgical Center and Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, PO Box 980631, Richmond, VA 23298 0631, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 115:137-45. 2009..These results demonstrate that 17alpha-AED possesses significant anti-glioma activity when used at pharmacologically relevant concentrations in vitro and the cytotoxic effects are resultant from the induction of autophagy...
- The neuro-steroid, 5-androstene 3β,17α diol; induces endoplasmic reticulum stress and autophagy through PERK/eIF2α signaling in malignant glioma cells and transformed fibroblastsWentao Jia
Department of Neurosurgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, P O Box 980631, Richmond, VA 23298 0631, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 42:2019-29. 2010..These results demonstrate that ER stress is linked to 17α-AED induced autophagy by PERK/eIF2α signaling in human malignant glioma cells and transformed fibroblasts...
- 17α-androstenediol-mediated oncophagy of tumor cells by different mechanisms is determined by the target tumorRoger M Loria
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1262:127-33. 2012..Collectively, oncophagy is induced by 17α-AED treatment in human tumor cells and proceeds by the induction of either autophagy or apoptosis. The neoplastic cell determines which oncophagic pathway is utilized...
- Beta androstenediol mitigates the damage of 1 GeV/n Fe ion particle radiation to the hematopoietic systemROGER LORIA
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1101 E Marshal Street, Richmond, VA 23298 0678, USA
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 26:453-9. 2011..These findings clearly show that androstenediol functions as a countermeasure to remedy hematopoeitic injury mediated by high LET iron ion radiation. Presently, no other agent has been shown to have such properties...
- Beta-androstenes and resistance to viral and bacterial infectionsRoger M Loria
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology and Emergency Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, 1101 E Marshal Street, Richmond, VA 23298 0678, USA
Neuroimmunomodulation 16:88-95. 2009..Similar to hydrocortisone, they suppress inflammation, but without immune suppression, and have a role in the maintenance of the Th1/Th2 balance and immune homeostasis...
- Androstenetriol immunomodulation improves survival in a severe trauma hemorrhage shock modelAndreea C Marcu
Virginia Commonwealth University Reanimation Engineering Shock Center VCURES, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Trauma 63:662-9. 2007....
- Androstenediol reverses steroid-inhibited wound healingV Ramana Feeser
Department of Emergency Medicine, Reanimation, Engineering and Shock Center, VCU Medical Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1101 East Marshall Street, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Wound Repair Regen 17:758-61. 2009..These findings suggest that restoration of immune regulation by androstenediol can reverse the delayed open wound contraction secondary to steroid stress...
- The anti-tumor effects of androstene steroids exhibit a strict structure-activity relationship dependent upon the orientation of the hydroxyl group on carbon-17Martin R Graf
Department of Neurosurgery Harold F Young Neurosurgical Center and the Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, P O Box 980631, 1200 E Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23298 0631, USA
Chem Biol Drug Des 74:625-9. 2009..These results indicate that the position of the hydroxyl group on C-17 dictates the anti-tumor activity of the androstenes and must be in the alpha-configuration, demonstrating a strict structure-activity relationship...
- Modulation of traumatic brain injury using progesterone and the role of glial cells on its neuroprotective actionsV Ramana Feeser
Department of Emergency Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University Reanimation Engineering Shock Center, Richmond, Virginia, United States
J Neuroimmunol 237:4-12. 2011..This review highlights the importance of glial cells as mediators of progesterone's actions on the CNS and describes progesterone's pleiotrophic effects on immune enhancement and neuroprotection in TBI...
- Effects of alpha/beta-androstenediol immune regulating hormones on bone remodeling and apoptosis in osteoblastsNicole H Urban
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA 23298 0694, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 110:223-9. 2008..In conclusion, alpha-AED opposed beta-AED by elevating a bone resorption scenario in osteoblast cells. The increase in RANKL/OPG is modulated by an activation of PPAR-gamma that in turn caused mild apoptosis of FOB-9 cells...
- Androstenetriol improves survival in a rodent model of traumatic shockAndreea C Marcu
Virginia Commonwealth University Reanimation Engineering Shock Center (VCURES, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Resuscitation 71:379-86. 2006..05). CONCLUSION: AET significantly improved survival when administered subcutaneously in a single dose in this rodent model of traumatic shock. Further survival and mechanism studies are warranted...