Adam P Klausner
Affiliation: Virginia Commonwealth University
- Antimuscarinics for the treatment of overactive bladder: a review of central nervous system effectsAdam P Klausner
Division of Urology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, PO Box 980118, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Curr Urol Rep 8:441-7. 2007....
- Does oxybutynin alter plaques, amyloid beta peptides and behavior in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease?Adam P Klausner
Department of Neuroscience, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Urol 179:1173-7. 2008....
- The influence of psychiatric comorbidities and sexual trauma on lower urinary tract symptoms in female veteransAdam P Klausner
Division of Urology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine and the Hunter Holmes McGuire Veterans Affairs Hospital, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0118, USA
J Urol 182:2785-90. 2009..We characterized the association of psychiatric comorbidities and sexual trauma with lower urinary tract symptoms in women...
- The neurogenic bladder: an update with management strategies for primary care physiciansAdam P Klausner
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, PO Box 980118, Richmond, VA 23298 0118, USA
Med Clin North Am 95:111-20. 2011..This article describes the indications and technique of urodynamic testing and the interpretation of the results of such testing. The management of patients with neurogenic bladder dysfunction is also discussed...
- A survey of ethically challenging issues in urological practiceAdam P Klausner
Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Urol 185:1407-11. 2011..We surveyed ethical attitudes among urological and nonurological practitioners, allowing for thought and discussion regarding ethical issues in a larger audience...
- Carbachol-induced volume adaptation in mouse bladder and length adaptation via rhythmic contraction in rabbit detrusorJohn E Speich
Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, 23284 3015, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 40:2266-76. 2012..The present data identify a potential physiological role for SRC in bladder adaptation and motivate the investigation of a potential link between short-term volume adaptation and OAB with impaired contractility...
- Elevated steady-state bladder preload activates myosin phosphorylation: detrusor smooth muscle is a preload tension sensorJordan B Southern
Virginia Commonwealth Univ School of Medicine, Depts of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Pediatrics, Richmond, VA 23298 0614, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 303:F1517-26. 2012....
- Rhythmic contraction generates adjustable passive stiffness in rabbit detrusorAtheer M Almasri
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Richmond, Virginia Commonwealth University, VA 23284 3015, USA
J Appl Physiol 108:544-53. 2010..Most importantly, rhythmic contraction (RC) generated APS, and because RC occurs spontaneously in human bladder, a physiological role for RC was potentially identified...
- Prostaglandin E₂mediates spontaneous rhythmic contraction in rabbit detrusor muscleAdam P Klausner
Department of Surgery Division of Urology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0118, USA
Can J Urol 18:5608-14. 2011..The purpose of this investigation was to determine if prostaglandin E₂(PGE₂) is produced by rabbit detrusor free of urothelium and demonstrate that PGE₂ is responsible for the generation of spontaneous rhythmic contraction (SRC)...
- Fourier transform analysis of rabbit detrusor autonomous contractions reveals length dependent increases in tone and slow wave development at long lengthsMichael D Byrne
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0118, USA
J Urol 190:334-40. 2013..In this in vitro study we used fast Fourier transforms to assess the length dependence of low amplitude rhythmic contraction components...
- Adjustable passive stiffness in mouse bladder: regulated by Rho kinase and elevated following partial bladder outlet obstructionJohn E Speich
Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, 401 West Main St, Richmond, VA 23284 3015, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F967-76. 2012..The presence of APS in mouse bladder will permit future studies of APS regulatory pathways and potential alterations of APS in disease models using knockout transgenetic mice...
- Potential for control of detrusor smooth muscle spontaneous rhythmic contraction by cyclooxygenase products released by interstitial cells of CajalClinton Collins
Department of Surgery, Urology Division, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, VA 23298 0614, USA
J Cell Mol Med 13:3236-50. 2009..Additional studies on prostaglandin-dependent SRC may generate opportunities for the application of novel treatments for disorders leading to overactive bladder...
- Increased expression of heat shock protein 20 and decreased contractile stress in obstructed rat bladderTimothy W Batts
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 1395, USA
J Urol 176:1679-84. 2006..Heat shock protein 20 is the proposed mediator of force suppression in vascular smooth muscle. We investigated whether heat shock protein 20 could also mediate the decreased contractility observed in partially obstructed rat bladders...
- Tadalafil increases Akt and extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 activation, and prevents apoptotic cell death in the penis following denervationJeffrey J Lysiak
Department of Urology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Urol 179:779-85. 2008..We also determined whether treatment with the phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor tadalafil prevents apoptosis as well as the specific mechanisms involved...
- Expert training with standardized operative technique helps establish a successful penile prosthetics program for urologic resident educationAshley B King
Division of Urology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA 23298 0118, USA
J Sex Med 8:2726-32. 2011..Specifically, in the area of prosthetic urology, only a small proportion of programs have full-time faculty available to train residents in this discipline...
- The role of corticotropin releasing factor and its antagonist, astressin, on micturition in the ratAdam P Klausner
Department of Urology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, 22908 0422, USA
Auton Neurosci 123:26-35. 2005..Further studies are needed to explore the possibility whether CRF antagonists are effective for detrusor overactivity and the overactive bladder syndrome...
- Vaginal symptoms and sexual function after tension-free vaginal tape-obturator placement: minimum 12-month follow-upAshley B King
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia 23223, USA
Urology 81:50-4. 2013....
- Association of bladder sensation measures and bladder diary in patients with urinary incontinenceAshley B King
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Can J Urol 19:6183-7. 2012..We previously reported urodynamic derivatives that may be useful in assessing bladder sensation. We sought to further investigate these derivatives by assessing for a relationship with 3-day bladder diary...
- Is cystoscopy indicated for incidentally identified bladder wall thickening?Daniel S McPartlin
Division of Urology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Can J Urol 20:6615-9. 2013..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the yield of cystoscopy in detecting bladder malignancy following incidentally identified bladder wall thickening observed on computed tomography (CT) scans...
- Adaptation of the length-active tension relationship in rabbit detrusorJohn E Speich
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, 401 W Main St, PO Box 843015, Richmond, VA 23284 3015, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F1119-28. 2009..In addition, our findings demonstrate that preconditioning, APS and adaptation of the active L-T curve can each impact the maximum total tension observed at a particular DSM length...
- Corticotropin releasing factor: a mediator of emotional influences on bladder functionAdam P Klausner
Department of Urology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Urol 172:2570-3. 2004..We review evidence linking overactive bladder (OAB) and interstitial cystitis with anxiety and depression, and highlight the importance of corticotropin releasing factor (CRF) as a potential mediator of these conditions...
- A case of potential treatment of remote pain after sacral nerve stimulation for chronic urinary retentionJennifer R Hoyt
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Clin J Pain 28:539-41. 2012..A case is presented in which a 58-year-old man developed a potential unintended and durable treatment of pain at remote sites (cervical region and low back) after sacral nerve stimulation for chronic urinary retention...
- Long term prostate-specific antigen trends following subcapsular prostatectomyAdam P Klausner
Dept of Surgery Division of Urology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0118, USA
Can J Urol 17:5442-6. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the utility of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening for prostate cancer after subcapsular prostatectomy...
- Research frontiers in the treatment of urinary incontinenceAdam P Klausner
Department of Urology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 47:104-13. 2004
- Urinary incontinence in the geriatric populationAdam P Klausner
Department of Urology, Box 1272, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One East 100th Street, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mt Sinai J Med 70:54-61. 2003..Urinary incontinence is a widespread, yet potentially treatable, problem in the geriatric population...
- Alterations in voiding frequency and cystometry in the clomipramine induced model of endogenous depression and reversal with fluoxetineKyu Sung Lee
Department of Urology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 170:2067-71. 2003..We examined a rat model of endogenous depression caused by lowering 5-HT for effects on voiding frequency (VF) and awake cystometry (CMG), and examined the effect of reversal using the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor fluoxetine...
- In vivo detection of apoptotic cells in the testis using fluorescence labeled annexin V in a mouse model of testicular torsionSang Kuk Yang
Department of Urology, Konkuk University School of Medicine, Chungju Hospital, Korea
J Urol 176:830-5. 2006..In vivo detection of apoptotic cells with fluorescently labeled annexin V is an emerging technique that we evaluated for detecting apoptotic germ cells in a mouse model of testicular torsion...
- Effect of catheter size on urodynamic assessment of bladder outlet obstructionAdam P Klausner
Department of Urology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York 10029, USA
Urology 60:875-80. 2002..To examine the effect of cross-sectional catheter diameter on urodynamic measurement of bladder outlet obstruction as predicted by the Abrams-Griffiths nomogram...