J Brian Cassel
Affiliation: Virginia Commonwealth University
- Palliative care consultation and hospital length of stayJ Brian Cassel
Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0037, USA
J Palliat Med 13:761-7. 2010....
- Clinical and financial impact of a palliative care program at a small rural hospitalJ Brian Cassel
Virginia Commonwealth University Massey Cancer Center, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Palliat Med 13:1339-43. 2010..This study reports the clinical and financial impact of a new palliative care service at a 76-bed nonprofit hospital located in rural Virginia, Rappahannock General Hospital (RGH)...
- The Business Case for Palliative Care: Translating Research Into Program Development in the U.SJ Brian Cassel
Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA Electronic address
J Pain Symptom Manage 50:741-9. 2015....
- Hospital mortality rates: how is palliative care taken into account?J Brian Cassel
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 40:914-25. 2010..To be a fair measure of hospital quality, hospital mortality measures must take patient-level factors, such as goals of care, into account...
- Concentrating hospital-wide deaths in a palliative care unit: the effect on place of death and system-wide mortalityJ Brian Cassel
Oncology Service Line, Massey Cancer Center Virginia Commonwealth University, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Palliat Med 13:371-4. 2010..Observers were concerned that an active PCU would attract dying patients and worsen comparative mortality rates for Medicare and U.S. News & World Report comparisons...
- Cost and non-clinical outcomes of palliative careThomas J Smith
Department of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Massey Cancer Center, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 38:32-44. 2009..In collecting and presenting the data to administrators and others, we have found that the simplest approach is the most effective-for example, presenting a few clinical outcomes alongside cost-saving data...
- Prospective Cohort Study of Hospital Palliative Care Teams for Inpatients With Advanced Cancer: Earlier Consultation Is Associated With Larger Cost-Saving EffectPeter May
Peter May and Charles Normand, Centre for Health Policy and Management, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland Peter May, Melissa M Garrido, Amy S Kelley, Diane E Meier, Lee Stefanis, and R Sean Morrison, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York Melissa M Garrido, Lee Stefanis, and R Sean Morrison, James J Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bronx, NY J Brian Cassel, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA and Thomas J Smith, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD
J Clin Oncol 33:2745-52. 2015..This article addresses the research question: Does timing of palliative care have an impact on its effect on cost?..
- Nonclinical outcomes of hospital-based palliative careKenneth R White
Graduate Program in Health Administration, Department of Health Administration, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Healthc Manag 51:260-73; discussion 273-4. 2006..This study highlights the nonclinical outcomes of one institution's inpatient PCU and provides guidelines for healthcare executives and managers to use in making decisions about adopting such programs...
- Improving palliative and supportive care in cancer patientsJames Khatcheressian
Division of Oncology and Palliative Care, Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0230, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 19:1365-76; discussion 1377-8, 1381-2, 1384 passim. 2005..Finally, we suggest a practical plan for using symptom assessment scales, listing the problems, and managing them according to algorithms or other predetermined plans...