Affiliation: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Leber A, Abedi V, Hontecillas R, Viladomiu M, Hoops S, Ciupe S, et al. Bistability analyses of CD4+ T follicular helper and regulatory cells during Helicobacter pylori infection. J Theor Biol. 2016;398:74-84 pubmed publisher..Model simulations predict that Tgif1 and RXR respectively induce and curtail Tfh responses. This computational hypothesis was validated experimentally by assaying Tgif1, RXR and Tfh in stomachs of mice infected with H. pylori. ..
- Bassaganya Riera J, DiGuardo M, Viladomiu M, de Horna A, Sanchez S, Einerhand A, et al. Soluble fibers and resistant starch ameliorate disease activity in interleukin-10-deficient mice with inflammatory bowel disease. J Nutr. 2011;141:1318-25 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that soluble fibers and resistant starch influence Treg cells, IFN?, and colonic PPAR? expression to suppress gut inflammation. ..
- Bassaganya Riera J, DiGuardo M, Climent M, Vives C, Carbo A, Jouni Z, et al. Activation of PPAR? and ? by dietary punicic acid ameliorates intestinal inflammation in mice. Br J Nutr. 2011;106:878-86 pubmed publisher..We provide in vivo molecular evidence demonstrating that PUA ameliorates experimental IBD by regulating macrophage and T-cell function through PPAR?- and ?-dependent mechanisms. ..
- Bassaganya Riera J, Viladomiu M, Pedragosa M, De Simone C, Hontecillas R. Immunoregulatory mechanisms underlying prevention of colitis-associated colorectal cancer by probiotic bacteria. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34676 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, CLA modulated expression of COX-2 levels in the colonic mucosa, whereas VSL#3 targeted regulatory mucosal CD4+ T cell responses. ..
- Leber A, Hontecillas R, Tubau Juni N, Zoccoli Rodriguez V, Hulver M, McMillan R, et al. NLRX1 Regulates Effector and Metabolic Functions of CD4+ T Cells. J Immunol. 2017;198:2260-2268 pubmed publisher....
- Leber A, Hontecillas R, Abedi V, Tubau Juni N, Zoccoli Rodriguez V, Stewart C, et al. Modeling new immunoregulatory therapeutics as antimicrobial alternatives for treating Clostridium difficile infection. Artif Intell Med. 2017;78:1-13 pubmed publisher..The computational pipeline can serve as an important resource in the development of new treatment modalities. ..
- Bassaganya Riera J, Misyak S, Guri A, Hontecillas R. PPAR gamma is highly expressed in F4/80(hi) adipose tissue macrophages and dampens adipose-tissue inflammation. Cell Immunol. 2009;258:138-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, PPAR gamma is differentially expressed in F4/80(hi) versus F4/80(low) ATM subsets and its deficiency favors a predominance of M1 markers in WAT. ..