Genomes and Genes
John H Newman
Affiliation: Vanderbilt University
- Treatment of primary pulmonary hypertension -- the next generationJohn H Newman
N Engl J Med 346:933-5. 2002
- Exercise training in pulmonary hypertension: implications for the evaluation of drug trialsJohn H Newman
Circulation 114:1448-9. 2006
- Longitudinal analysis casts doubt on the presence of genetic anticipation in heritable pulmonary arterial hypertensionEmma K Larkin
Vanderbilt University Institute for Medicine and Public Health, Vanderbilt Medical Center North, Nashville, TN 37232 2650, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 186:892-6. 2012..With accrual of pedigree data over multiple decades, we retested this hypothesis using analyses that eliminate the truncation of data that exists with shorter duration of follow-up...
- Pulmonary hypertensionJohn H Newman
T1219 Vanderbilt Medical Center, North Nashville, TN 37232 2650
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1072-7. 2005....
- Narrative review: the enigma of pulmonary arterial hypertension: new insights from genetic studiesJohn H Newman
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2650, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:278-83. 2008..An interaction of these signaling systems with BMPR2 is a focus of research in PAH. Approaches to altering the imbalance of activation of BMPR2 and other TGF-beta receptors may yield future therapies for PAH...
- Truncating and missense BMPR2 mutations differentially affect the severity of heritable pulmonary arterial hypertensionEric D Austin
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University, Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Respir Res 10:87. 2009..We hypothesized that patients with missense BMPR2 mutations have more severe disease than those with truncating mutations...
- Penetrance of pulmonary arterial hypertension is modulated by the expression of normal BMPR2 alleleRizwan Hamid
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Medical Genetics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Hum Mutat 30:649-54. 2009..Furthermore, our study illustrates a novel application of lymphoblastoid cell lines in the study of PAH, especially important because the affected site, that is, the lung, is not available for unaffected mutation carriers...
- Synergistic heterozygosity for TGFbeta1 SNPs and BMPR2 mutations modulates the age at diagnosis and penetrance of familial pulmonary arterial hypertensionJohn A Phillips
Divisions of Medical Genetics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 27232 2578, USA
Genet Med 10:359-65. 2008....
- End tidal CO(2) tension: pulmonary arterial hypertension vs pulmonary venous hypertension and response to treatmentAnna R Hemnes
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, T1218 Medical Center N, 1161 21st Ave S, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Chest 140:1267-73. 2011....
- Serotonin transporter polymorphisms in familial and idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertensionElisabeth D Willers
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Medical Center North T 1218, Nashville, TN 37232 2650, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:798-802. 2006....
- High-altitude pulmonary hypertension in cattle (brisket disease): Candidate genes and gene expression profiling of peripheral blood mononuclear cellsJohn H Newman
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Pulm Circ 1:462-9. 2011..Further studies are needed to validate and refine these preliminary findings and to determine the role of transcribed genes in the development of HAPH...
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension: future directions: report of a National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute/Office of Rare Diseases workshopJohn H Newman
Departments of Medicine, Nashville VA Medical Center (GRECC, and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn, USA
Circulation 109:2947-52. 2004
- Pulmonary veno-occlusive disease caused by an inherited mutation in bone morphogenetic protein receptor IIJames R Runo
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, T 1217 Medical Center North, Nashville, TN 37232 2650, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:889-94. 2003..The finding of PVOD associated with a BMPR2 mutation reveals a possible pathogenetic connection with PPH...
- Association of the metabolic syndrome with pulmonary venous hypertensionIvan M Robbins
Pulmonary Vascular Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Chest 136:31-6. 2009....
- Idiopathic and heritable PAH perturb common molecular pathways, correlated with increased MSX1 expressionEric D Austin
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Pulm Circ 1:389-98. 2011..HPAH and IPAH share the majority of altered signaling pathways, suggesting that treatments developed to target the molecular etiology of HPAH will also be effective against IPAH...
- Genetic basis of pulmonary arterial hypertension: current understanding and future directionsJohn H Newman
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:33S-39S. 2004..Advances in genetic testing, presymptomatic screening, and biomarkers should permit early detection of disease in those at risk of PAH and allow trials of preventive therapy in carriers...
- Unrecognized glucose intolerance is common in pulmonary arterial hypertensionMeredith E Pugh
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2650, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 30:904-11. 2011..We aimed to define the prevalence of elevated HbA(1c) in PAH patients and to correlate HbA(1c) levels with functional assessment...
- Testosterone negatively regulates right ventricular load stress responses in miceAnna R Hemnes
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Pulm Circ 2:352-8. 2012..Further study of the role of testosterone in RV dysfunction is warranted to better understand these findings in the context of human disease...
- Constrictive bronchiolitis in soldiers returning from Iraq and AfghanistanMatthew S King
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN, USA
N Engl J Med 365:222-30. 2011..S. Army's standards for physical fitness...
- Inflammation, growth factors, and pulmonary vascular remodelingPaul M Hassoun
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 54:S10-9. 2009....
- AmbrisentanJohn H Newman
Nat Rev Drug Discov 6:697-8. 2007
- New risks for pulmonary hypertension: need for a large epidemiologic studyElisabeth D Willers
Chest 130:1633-5. 2006