Genomes and Genes
Nipun B Merchant
Affiliation: Vanderbilt University
- Survival Benefit of Adjuvant Radiation Therapy for Gastric Cancer following Gastrectomy and Extended LymphadenectomyR A Snyder
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Int J Surg Oncol 2012:307670. 2012..Furthermore, removal of >25 LNs results in improved OS and DSS compared with patients who have fewer LNs resected...
- 53BP1 expression is a modifier of the prognostic value of lymph node ratio and CA 19-9 in pancreatic adenocarcinomaNatalie L Ausborn
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Starling Loving, 300 W 10th Avenue, Columbus, OH, 43210, USA
BMC Cancer 13:155. 2013..The role of 53BP1 in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) has yet to be determined. We aimed to investigate whether 53BP1 levels interact with established prognostic factors in PDAC...
- Evidence for enhanced telomerase activity in Barrett's esophagus with dysplasia and adenocarcinomaNipun B Merchant
Surgery and Cancer Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 14:679-83. 2013..The aim of the current study was to correlate increased telomerase activity (TA) with dysplasia and adenocarcinoma occurring in the setting of BE...
- Ligand-dependent activation of the epidermal growth factor receptor by secondary bile acids in polarizing colon cancer cellsNipun B Merchant
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232 8680, USA
Surgery 138:415-21. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the mechanism by which DCA activates EGFR in human polarizing CRC cell lines HCA-7 and HCT-8...
- Should all distal pancreatectomies be performed laparoscopically?Nipun B Merchant
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 597 Preston Research Building, 2220 Pierce Avenue, Nashville, TN 37232 6860, USA
Adv Surg 43:283-300. 2009..This technology must clear several hurdles before it is cancer ready; however, technology is moving at a rapid pace...
- Experimentally derived metastasis gene expression profile predicts recurrence and death in patients with colon cancerJ Joshua Smith
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Gastroenterology 138:958-68. 2010..We used a gene expression profile derived from invasive, murine colon cancer cells that were highly metastatic in an immunocompetent mouse model to identify patients with colon cancer at risk of recurrence...
- Analysis of 6,747 pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors for a proposed staging systemRobert C G Martin
Department of Surgery, University of Louisville Hospital, Louisville, KY, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 15:175-83. 2011..The aim of this study was to devise a staging system of relevant prognostic factors to better predict overall survival in PNET...
- Combined blockade of Src kinase and epidermal growth factor receptor with gemcitabine overcomes STAT3-mediated resistance of inhibition of pancreatic tumor growthNagathihalli S Nagaraj
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:483-93. 2011..The purpose of this study was to translate the current understanding of complementary activated tyrosine kinase signaling pathways by targeting Src kinase and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)...
- Perioperative blood transfusion is associated with decreased survival in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a multi-institutional studyJeffrey M Sutton
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 234 Goodman Street, ML 0772, Cincinnati, OH, 45219, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 18:1575-87. 2014....
- Four jointed box 1 promotes angiogenesis and is associated with poor patient survival in colorectal carcinomaNicole T Al-Greene
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e69660. 2013..Taken together our results support the conclusion that FJX1 is a novel regulator of tumor progression, due in part, to its effect on tumor vascularization. ..
- Vein involvement during pancreaticoduodenectomy: is there a need for redefinition of "borderline resectable disease"?Kaitlyn J Kelly
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 17:1209-17; discussion 1217. 2013..This study compares the outcome of patients who underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy with or without vein resection without neoadjuvant therapy...
- Factors influencing readmission after pancreaticoduodenectomy: a multi-institutional study of 1302 patientsSyed A Ahmad
Central Pancreas Consortium, Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Ann Surg 256:529-37. 2012..Despite this progress, early readmission rates after PD have been reported as high as 50%. Few reports have delineated factors associated with readmission after PD...
- A multicenter analysis of distal pancreatectomy for adenocarcinoma: is laparoscopic resection appropriate?David A Kooby
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:779-85, 786-7. 2010..As compared with open distal pancreatectomy (ODP), laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy (LDP) affords improved perioperative outcomes. The role of LDP for patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) is not defined...
- TACE/ADAM-17: a component of the epidermal growth factor receptor axis and a promising therapeutic target in colorectal cancerNipun B Merchant
Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 8355, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:1182-91. 2008..TACE/ADAM-17 (tumor necrosis factor-alpha converting enzyme/a disintegrin and metalloprotease) has been implicated in ectodomain cleavage of TGF-alpha and amphiregulin...
- Targeted inhibition of SRC kinase signaling attenuates pancreatic tumorigenesisNagathihalli S Nagaraj
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:2322-32. 2010..These results establish a mechanistic rationale for Src inhibition with dasatinib as a therapeutic target in the treatment of pancreatic cancer and identify potential biomarkers of resistance to Src inhibition...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor signaling pathway is frequently altered in ampullary carcinoma at protein and genetic levelsKaidi Mikhitarian
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Mod Pathol 27:665-74. 2014..Mutational analysis of the EGFR pathway genes may provide important insights into personalized treatment for patients with ampullary carcinoma. ..
- Proteomics: a strategy to understand the novel targets in protein misfolding and cancer therapyNagathihalli S Nagaraj
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Expert Rev Proteomics 7:613-23. 2010..The possibility of targeting the targets to repair or degrade protein misfolding in cancer therapy is discussed...
- Administration of oxaliplatin to a pregnant woman with rectal cancerMichael Gensheimer
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 63:371-3. 2009..The platinum agent oxaliplatin could be useful in treatment of cancer in pregnant women, but it is fetotoxic in rats and its effect on the human fetus is unknown...
- Genomics and proteomics in predicting cancer outcomesAlexander A Parikh
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 597 PRB, 2220 Pierce Avenue, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 17:257-77, vii. 2008..This article provides a summary of technologies, potential clinical applications, and challenges...
- Advances in the Surgical Management of Resectable and Borderline Resectable Pancreas CancerBeth A Helmink
Division of Surgical Oncology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 597 PRB, 2220 Pierce Avenue, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 25:287-310. 2016..Furthermore, common pancreatic resection-specific postoperative complications and their management are reviewed. ..
- Endoscopic ultrasound and computed tomography predictors of pancreatic cancer resectabilityPhilip Q Bao
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, D 4314 MCN, 1161 21st Ave, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 12:10-6; discussion 16. 2008..This study investigates the ability of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and computed tomography (CT) to predict a margin negative (R0) resection and the need for venous resection in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD)...
- Loss of HNF6 expression correlates with human pancreatic cancer progressionKelly R Pekala
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Lab Invest 94:517-27. 2014..Insight on the role of HNF6 in pancreatic cancer development could lead to its use as a biomarker for early detection and prognosis. ..
- Molecular imaging of therapeutic response to epidermal growth factor receptor blockade in colorectal cancerH Charles Manning
Vanderbilt Institute of Imaging Science, Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:7413-22. 2008..The correlation between molecular imaging and immunohistochemical analysis to quantify epidermal growth factor (EGF) binding, apoptosis, and proliferation was evaluated in treated and untreated tumor-bearing cohorts...
- Adjuvant chemoradiation therapy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: who really benefits?Nipun B Merchant
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232 6860, USA
J Am Coll Surg 208:829-38; discussion 838-41. 2009..The primary aim of this study was to determine if CRT improved survival in patients with resected pancreatic cancer in a large, multiinstitutional cohort of patients...
- Improvement of survival with response to neoadjuvant radiation therapy for rectal cancerEric T Castaldo
Division of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2220 Pierce Ave, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Arch Surg 144:129-34; discussion 134-5. 2009....
- Gastric schwannomaRebecca A Snyder
Division of Surgical Oncology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6860, USA
Am Surg 74:753-6. 2008
- Src-mediated regulation of E-cadherin and EMT in pancreatic cancerNagaraj S Nagathihalli
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 6860, USA
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 17:2059-69. 2012..Here we highlight recent work that advances our understanding of Src signaling as it relates to E-cadherin associated regulation and EMT in PDAC...
- Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3, Mediated Remodeling of the Tumor Microenvironment Results in Enhanced Tumor Drug Delivery in a Mouse Model of Pancreatic CancerNagaraj S Nagathihalli
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, Florida
Gastroenterology 149:1932-1943.e9. 2015..The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of targeting STAT3 on the PDAC stroma and on therapeutic resistance...
- Peri-operative risk factors for delayed gastric emptying after a pancreaticoduodenectomyJamie R Robinson
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
HPB (Oxford) 17:495-501. 2015..Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) is a frequent cause of morbidity, prolonged hospital stay and readmission after a pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD). We sought to evaluate predictive peri-operative factors for DGE after a PD...
- Trends in the use of evidence-based therapy for resectable gastric cancerRebecca A Snyder
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
J Surg Oncol 110:285-90. 2014..The purpose of this study was to determine utilization rates of these treatment regimens in the United States and to identify factors associated with receipt of evidence-based care...
- Multi-institutional analysis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma demonstrating the effect of diabetes status on survival after resectionRobert M Cannon
Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
HPB (Oxford) 14:228-35. 2012..The effect of diabetes on survival after resection pancreatic ductal carcinoma (PDAC) is unclear. The present study was undertaken to determine whether pre-operative diabetes has any predictive value for survival...
- Organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B3 (OATP1B3) is overexpressed in colorectal tumors and is a predictor of clinical outcomeAlbert Craig Lockhart
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Clin Exp Gastroenterol 1:1-7. 2008..OATP1B3 is an organic anion transporting polypeptide (OATP) that functions as a multispecific transporter in the normal liver. We examined the expression and clinical significance of OATP1B3 in colon cancers in tissue microarrays...
- Urine PGE-M: A metabolite of prostaglandin E2 as a potential biomarker of advanced colorectal neoplasiaJ Chad Johnson
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:1358-65. 2006..The purpose of this pre-validation study was to determine if urinary PGE-M levels can be used as a biomarker to discriminate between healthy patients and those with colorectal disease...
- Proteome analysis of human colon cancer by two-dimensional difference gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometryDavid B Friedman
Mass Spectrometry Research Center, Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232 8575, USA
Proteomics 4:793-811. 2004..Without the benefit of the Cy2-labeled 12 sample mixture internal standard, 42 of these proteins would have been overlooked due to the large degree of variation inherent between normal and tumor samples...
- Full-dose gemcitabine with concurrent radiation therapy in patients with nonmetastatic pancreatic cancer: a multicenter phase II trialWilliam Small
Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, 251 East Huron St, LC 178, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:942-7. 2008..This study assessed safety and efficacy of full-dose gemcitabine administered before and during concurrent three-dimensional conformal radiation (3D-CRT) in patients with nonmetastatic pancreatic cancer...