Affiliation: Vanderbilt University
- McHaourab H, Kumar M, Koteiche H. Specificity of alphaA-crystallin binding to destabilized mutants of betaB1-crystallin. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:1939-43 pubmed..In the lens, where alpha-crystallin binding sites are not regenerated, this may represent an added mechanism to maintain lens transparency. ..
- Wu S, Zou P, Fuller A, Mishra S, Wang Z, Schey K, et al. Expression of Cataract-linked ?-Crystallin Variants in Zebrafish Reveals a Proteostasis Network That Senses Protein Stability. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:25387-25397 pubmed..Furthermore, our work implicates additional inputs/factors in this underlying proteostasis network and demonstrates the utility of zebrafish as a platform to delineate mechanisms of cataract. ..
- Kazmier K, Claxton D, McHaourab H. Alternating access mechanisms of LeuT-fold transporters: trailblazing towards the promised energy landscapes. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2017;45:100-108 pubmed publisher..Although these studies have illuminated multiple aspects of transporter structures and dynamics, a number of questions remain unresolved that so far hinder understanding transport mechanisms in an energy landscape perspective. ..
- Collauto A, Mishra S, Litvinov A, McHaourab H, Goldfarb D. Direct Spectroscopic Detection of ATP Turnover Reveals Mechanistic Divergence of ABC Exporters. Structure. 2017;25:1264-1274.e3 pubmed publisher..The integrated spectroscopic approach presented here, which link energy input to conformational dynamics, can be applied to a variety of systems powered by ATP turnover. ..
- Mishra S, Verhalen B, Stein R, Wen P, Tajkhorshid E, McHaourab H. Conformational dynamics of the nucleotide binding domains and the power stroke of a heterodimeric ABC transporter. elife. 2014;3:e02740 pubmed publisher..These findings provide direct evidence of divergence in the mechanism of ABC exporters.DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.02740.001. ..
- McHaourab H, Steed P, Kazmier K. Toward the fourth dimension of membrane protein structure: insight into dynamics from spin-labeling EPR spectroscopy. Structure. 2011;19:1549-61 pubmed publisher..Efforts to develop methods for determining structures from EPR restraints and to increase sensitivity and throughput promise to expand spin labeling applications in membrane protein structural biology. ..
- McHaourab H, Mishra S, Koteiche H, Amadi S. Role of sequence bias in the topology of the multidrug transporter EmrE. Biochemistry. 2008;47:7980-2 pubmed publisher..We propose a coupled insertion and assembly model for EmrE in which the favorable energetics of the parallel dimer interface override topological constraints arising from weak asymmetry in positive charge distribution. ..