Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Vanderbilt University
- Manifestation of the limb prepattern: limb development in the absence of sonic hedgehog functionC Chiang
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Dev Biol 236:421-35. 2001..According to this model, the limb bud signaling centers, including the zone of polarizing activity (ZPA) acting through Shh, are required to elaborate upon the axial information provided by the native limb field prepattern...
- Specification of ventral neuron types is mediated by an antagonistic interaction between Shh and Gli3Y Litingtung
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, B2120 MCN, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Nat Neurosci 3:979-85. 2000..Differences between rostral and caudal regions suggest that other signaling molecules-in addition to Shh-may be involved in specifying ventral fates, particularly in the caudal region of the spinal cord...
- Sonic hedgehog controls epaxial muscle determination through Myf5 activationA G Borycki
Department of Cell Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6058, USA
Development 126:4053-63. 1999....
- Sonic hedgehog is essential to foregut developmentY Litingtung
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175, USA
Nat Genet 20:58-61. 1998..These results indicate that Shh is required for the growth and differentiation of the oesophagus, trachea and lung, and suggest that mutations in SHH and its signalling components may be involved in foregut defects in humans...
- A sonic hedgehog-independent, retinoid-activated pathway of neurogenesis in the ventral spinal cordA Pierani
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Cell 97:903-15. 1999..Retinoids appear to mediate this parallel pathway. These findings reveal an unanticipated Shh-independent signaling pathway that controls progenitor cell identity and interneuron diversity in the ventral spinal cord...
- Essential role for Sonic hedgehog during hair follicle morphogenesisC Chiang
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892, USA
Dev Biol 205:1-9. 1999..Our findings reveal an essential role for Shh during hair follicle morphogenesis, where it is required for normal advancement beyond the hair germ stage of development...
- Products, genetic linkage and limb patterning activity of a murine hedgehog geneD T Chang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
Development 120:3339-53. 1994..The significance of Hhg-1 genetic linkage, patterning activity and proteolytic processing in Drosophila and chick embryos is discussed...
- Mediolateral patterning of somites: multiple axial signals, including Sonic hedgehog, regulate Nkx-3.1 expressionL Kos
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, NICHD, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mech Dev 70:25-34. 1998....
- Hoxd-12 differentially affects preaxial and postaxial chondrogenic branches in the limb and regulates Sonic hedgehog in a positive feedback loopV Knezevic
Laboratory of Pathology, NCI, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 124:4523-36. 1997..Together these results suggest that certain 5' Hoxd genes directly amplify the posterior Shh polarizing signal in a reinforcing positive feedback loop during limb bud outgrowth...
- Floor plate and motor neuron induction by different concentrations of the amino-terminal cleavage product of sonic hedgehog autoproteolysisH Roelink
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Cell 81:445-55. 1995....
- Cyclopia and defective axial patterning in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog gene functionC Chiang
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 383:407-13. 1996..Defects in all tissues extend beyond the normal sites of Shh transcription, confirming the proposed role of Shh proteins as an extracellular signal required for the tissue-organizing properties of several vertebrate patterning centres...
- Anorectal malformations caused by defects in sonic hedgehog signalingR Mo
Program in Developmental Biology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 159:765-74. 2001....
- Coordinate regulation and synergistic actions of BMP4, SHH and FGF8 in the rostral prosencephalon regulate morphogenesis of the telencephalic and optic vesiclesY Ohkubo
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, LPPI, University of California, San Francisco, 401 Parnassus, P O Box 0984, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Neuroscience 111:1-17. 2002....
- Involvement of neurogranin in the modulation of calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II, synaptic plasticity, and spatial learning: a study with knockout miceJ H Pak
Endocrinology and Reproduction Research Branch and Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:11232-7. 2000..These results indicate a central role of Ng in the regulation of CaMKII activity with decisive influences on synaptic plasticity and spatial learning...
- Induction of midbrain dopaminergic neurons by Sonic hedgehogM Hynes
Department of Neuroscience, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Neuron 15:35-44. 1995..Our results also provide the basis for a potential cell transplantation therapy for Parkinson's disease...
- Expression of murine Lhx5 suggests a role in specifying the forebrainH Z Sheng
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Dev Dyn 208:266-77. 1997..5 of gestation. The early, persistent, and dynamic expression of Lhx5 suggests a regulatory function in forebrain formation...
- Control of Drosophila tracheal branching by the novel homeodomain gene unplugged, a regulatory target for genes of the bithorax complexC Chiang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Development 121:3901-12. 1995....
- The novel homeodomain gene buttonless specifies differentiation and axonal guidance functions of Drosophila dorsal median cellsC Chiang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205
Development 120:3581-93. 1994..The btn mutation thus specifically eliminates the DM cells, and this genetic ablation in turn reveals a requirement for DM cells as cellular cues for axonal guidance during transverse nerve outgrowth and bifurcation of the median nerve...
- Sonic hedgehog regulates otic capsule chondrogenesis and inner ear development in the mouse embryoW Liu
Department of Otolaryngology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Dev Biol 248:240-50. 2002..Our results support a role for Shh as a regulator of otic capsule formation and inner ear development during mammalian embryogenesis...