Constance R Uphold
- US hospital care for patients with HIV infection and pneumonia: the role of public, private, and Veterans Affairs hospitals in the early highly active antiretroviral therapy eraConstance R Uphold
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System, Research Department, Stop 151, 1601 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Chest 125:548-56. 2004....
- Review: use of health care services among persons living with HIV infection: state of the science and future directionsConstance R Uphold
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32608 1197, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:473-85. 2005..Understanding the patterns and predictors of resource use can facilitate health professionals' efforts in improving the health care delivery system for individuals with HIV infection...
- Mental health differences between rural and urban men living with HIV infection in various age groupsConstance R Uphold
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System, Research Department, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
J Community Health 30:355-75. 2005..Rural men had higher levels of non-AIDS-related stress only when the US Census Bureau's categorization was used, which highlights the importance of carefully selecting and describing methods to categorize rural versus urban residence...
- A further investigation of health-related quality of life over time among men with HIV infection in the HAART eraHuanguang Jia
Department of Veterans Affairs Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Qual Life Res 16:961-8. 2007..e., CD4 cell count) may have differential quality of life implications for patients at various times in their disease trajectories...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant capacity in smoking and nonsmoking men with HIV/acquired immunodeficiency syndromeSuzanne B Cole
Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 20:662-7. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine whether subjects with HIV/AIDS who smoke cigarettes have increased oxidative stress and decreased antioxidant status compared with nonsmokers with HIV/AIDS...
- Predictors of changes in health-related quality of life among men with HIV infection in the HAART eraHuanguang Jia
VA Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, Gainesville, Florida 32608 1197, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:395-405. 2005..These findings underline the importance of enhancing family social support, identifying and treating depression, and improving immune function to optimize HRQOL among men with HIV infection...
- Healthy lifestyles and health-related quality of life among men living with HIV infectionConstance R Uphold
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center Geriatrics Research Education and Clinical Center, North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:54-66. 2007..Relatively simple, straightforward changes in lifestyles such as eating well, remaining active, and avoiding stressful life events may result in improvements in HRQOL...
- Severe stress events and use of stress-management behaviors are associated with nutrition-related parameters in men with HIV/AIDSStephanie M Tromble-Hoke
Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611 0370, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:1541-8; quiz 1550. 2005..To determine whether severe stress events and more frequent use of stress-management behaviors among men with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection are associated with more desirable nutrition-related parameters...
- A longitudinal analysis of sociodemographic and health correlates of sexual health among HIV-infected men in the USAWilliam L Jeffries
Department of Sociology and Criminology and Law, University of Florida, PO Box 117330, Gainesville, FL 32611 7330, USA
Sex Health 6:285-92. 2009..The present paper examines temporal changes in sexual health based on measures of sexual activity, erectile function, sex drive, and sex life satisfaction...
- Theoretical and methodological issues in conducting research related to health care utilization among individuals with HIV infectionWilliam N Mkanta
Department of Health Services Research, Management and Policy, University of Florida, Health Science Center, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0185, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 20:293-303. 2006....
- Emotional bonds and social support exchange between men living with HIV infection and their mothersConstance R Uphold
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Am J Mens Health 6:97-107. 2012..Men who disclosed their HIV-positive status to their mothers rated the importance of the help they received from their mothers in managing their illnesses higher than men who had not disclosed...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use among HIV-infected patients attending three outpatient clinics in the Southeastern United StatesMary Ann Burg
Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, University of Florida, USA
Int J STD AIDS 16:112-6. 2005
- Health-related quality of life among men with HIV infection: effects of social support, coping, and depressionHuanguang Jia
VA Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, Gainesville, Florida, 32608 1197, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 18:594-603. 2004..In the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), when quality of life issues are of paramount importance, strategies to improve social support, coping, and particularly, depressive symptoms are strongly encouraged...
- Unmet health services needs experienced by Puerto Rican OEF/OIF veterans and families post deploymentElizabeth M Hannold
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center Research Enhancement Award Program REAP, 151 B, NF SG VA Medical Center, 1601 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Mil Med 176:381-8. 2011..This study examined perceptions of unmet health services needs among native Puerto Rican Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF)/Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Veterans and family members (FMs) post deployment...
- The impact of war on Puerto Rican families: challenges and strengthened family relationshipsI Magaly Freytes
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center Research Enhancement Award Program REAP, 151 B, NF SG Veterans Healthcare System, 1601 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Community Ment Health J 49:466-76. 2013..Despite these challenges, some Veterans and family members strengthened their relationships and renewed their appreciation for one another. ..
- HIV and older adults: clinical outcomes in the era of HAARTConstance R Uphold
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 30:16-24; quiz 55-6. 2004..Nurses need to individualize their care to patients of all ages rather than develop specific clinical guidelines for older adults with HIV...
- HIV-related pneumonia care in older patients hospitalized in the early HAART eraAshish Sureka
Buehler Center on Aging, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 18:99-107. 2004..Physicians should develop strategies that increase awareness of the possibility of HIV infection in older individuals...