ROBERT ALPERT ZUCKER
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Conceptualizing and scaling the developmental structure of behavior disorder: the Lifetime Alcohol Problems Score as an exampleR A Zucker
University of Michigan Alcohol Research Center, Ann Arbor 48108 3318, USA
Dev Psychopathol 9:453-71. 1997..The utility of the paradigm as a framework within which to conceptualize the emergence, ebb, and flow of other behavior disorders is also discussed...
- Predicting risky drinking outcomes longitudinally: what kind of advance notice can we get?Robert A Zucker
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:243-52. 2006..Finally, Robert Zucker examines the degree to which the core symposium questions are answered and comments on next step research and clinical practice changes that are called for by these findings...
- An important new phenotype and some next-step questions: commentary on Sartor et al. (2007)Robert A Zucker
Addiction Research Center and Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, Rachel Upjohn Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Addiction 102:187-8; discussion 189-90. 2007
- Early developmental processes and the continuity of risk for underage drinking and problem drinkingRobert A Zucker
Department of Psychiatry, and Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Rachel Upjohn Building, 4250 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5740, USA
Pediatrics 121:S252-72. 2008..Implications of this evidence for policy, intervention, and future research are discussed...
- Anticipating problem alcohol use developmentally from childhood into middle adulthood: what have we learned?Robert A Zucker
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, Rachel, Upjohn Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5740, USA
Addiction 103:100-8. 2008....
- Prevention for children of alcoholics and other high risk groupsRobert A Zucker
Addiction Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105 2194, USA
Recent Dev Alcohol 17:299-320. 2005
- The developmental behavior genetics of drug involvement: overview and commentsRobert A Zucker
Department of Psychiatry, Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 2194, USA
Behav Genet 36:616-25. 2006....
- Addiction research centres and the nurturing of creativity. University of Michigan Addiction Research Center (UMARC): development, evolution, and directionRobert A Zucker
Department of Psychiatry, Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
Addiction 105:966-73. 2010....
- Self-concept disturbances: cognitive vulnerability for early drinking and early drunkenness in adolescents at high risk for alcohol problemsColleen Corte
University of Michigan, USA
Addict Behav 33:1282-90. 2008..Self-schemas appear to be an additional risk factor in the pathway to problem alcohol involvement in adolescence, above and beyond the contributions of such known risk factors as antisocial behavior and parental alcoholism...
- Trajectories of childhood aggression and inattention/hyperactivity: differential effects on substance abuse in adolescenceJennifer M Jester
Addiction Research Center and Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:1158-65. 2008..The present study disaggregated these two domains developmentally and examined the relation between childhood behavior trajectories and adolescent substance use...
- Feasibility of using interactive voice response to monitor daily drinking, moods, and relationship processes on a daily basis in alcoholic couplesJames A Cranford
Department of Psychiatry, Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2700, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 34:499-508. 2010..This study tested the feasibility of using IVR with n = 54 ALC couples...
- Parental alcohol involvement and adolescent alcohol expectancies predict alcohol involvement in male adolescentsJames A Cranford
Addiction Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 24:386-96. 2010..Alternative pathways for the influence of maternal and paternal alcohol involvement and implications for expectancy models of adolescent drinking behavior were discussed...
- The prospective relationship between binge drinking and physician visits among older adultsKristi Rahrig Jenkins
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, Ann Arbor 48104, USA
J Aging Health 22:1099-113. 2010..The objectives are to (a) determine if binge drinking is related to physician visits and (b) estimate the degree to which the relationship between binge drinking and physician visits can be explained by other health characteristics...
- Alcoholism effects on social migration and neighborhood effects on alcoholism over the course of 12 yearsAnne Buu
Department of Psychiatry and Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:1545-51. 2007..We test the alcoholism effect on place of residence, and we also attempt to replicate the neighborhood-to-alcoholism effect...
- Striatal dysfunction marks preexisting risk and medial prefrontal dysfunction is related to problem drinking in children of alcoholicsMary M Heitzeg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Biol Psychiatry 68:287-95. 2010..However, it remains controversial whether these alterations reflect preexisting traits predisposing to problem alcohol use or are secondary to alcohol involvement...
- Effects of alcoholism severity and smoking on executive neurocognitive functionJennifer M Glass
University of Michigan, Department of Psychiatry, Substance Abuse Section, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
Addiction 104:38-48. 2009..We examined whether chronic alcoholism and chronic smoking have effects on executive function...
- A randomized double-blind pilot trial of gabapentin versus placebo to treat alcohol dependence and comorbid insomniaKirk J Brower
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5740, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:1429-38. 2008..The purpose of this pilot study was to compare gabapentin versus placebo for the treatment of insomnia and prevention of relapse in alcohol-dependent patients...
- Parent, family, and neighborhood effects on the development of child substance use and other psychopathology from preschool to the start of adulthoodAnne Buu
Department of Psychiatry and Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 70:489-98. 2009..We examined the long-term effects of childhood familial and neighborhood risk on adolescent substance use and psychiatric symptomatology...
- Intergenerational transmission of neuropsychological executive functioningJennifer M Jester
Department of Psychiatry and Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Box 5740, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Brain Cogn 70:145-53. 2009..This work supports the utility of the construct of executive function in further study of the mechanisms and etiology of externalizing psychopathologies...
- Smoking is associated with neurocognitive deficits in alcoholismJennifer M Glass
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Addiction Research Center, 2025 Traverwood, Suite A, Ann Arbor, 48105 2194, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 82:119-26. 2006....
- Affective circuitry and risk for alcoholism in late adolescence: differences in frontostriatal responses between vulnerable and resilient children of alcoholic parentsMary M Heitzeg
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0720, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:414-26. 2008....
- Serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism, peripheral indexes of serotonin function, and personality measures in families with alcoholismScott F Stoltenberg
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center and Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, USA
Am J Med Genet 114:230-4. 2002..The results of this pilot study suggest that further work should examine the mediation of the genetic effects on personality traits by biochemical measures and their moderation by gender...
- Parental ratings of son's behavior problems in high-risk families: convergent validity, internal structure, and interparent agreementC Raymond Bingham
Department of Veterans Affairs, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Pers Assess 80:237-51. 2003..These results demonstrate the validity of the CBCL for use by parent raters with alcoholism and their sons and emphasize the importance of including both versus only 1 parent in research using the CBCL...
- Sleep problems in early childhood and early onset of alcohol and other drug use in adolescenceMaria M Wong
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:578-87. 2004....
- Inattention/hyperactivity and aggression from early childhood to adolescence: heterogeneity of trajectories and differential influence of family environment characteristicsJennifer M Jester
University of Michigan, Department of Psychiatry, Addiction Research Center, 400 E Eisenhower Parkway, Suite 2A, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Dev Psychopathol 17:99-125. 2005..The implications of these findings for the development of inattention/hyperactivity and for the development of risk for the emergence of substance use disorders are discussed...
- Husbands' and wives' alcohol use disorders and marital interactions as longitudinal predictors of marital adjustmentJames A Cranford
Addiction Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Rachel Upjohn Building, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5740, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 120:210-22. 2011..Findings indicate that marital adjustment in alcoholic couples may be driven more by the wives' than the husbands' AUD and marital behavior. Implications for intervention with alcoholic couples were discussed...
- Changes in women's alcoholic, antisocial, and depressive symptomatology over 12 years: a multilevel network of individual, familial, and neighborhood influencesAnne Buu
Addiction Research Center and Substance Abuse Section, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Dev Psychopathol 23:325-37. 2011..Intervention efforts might target women with young children by improving social support, educational or professional training opportunity, access to family counseling, and neighborhood environment...
- Individual and partner predictors of recovery from alcohol-use disorder over a nine-year interval: findings from a community sample of alcoholic married menMary J McAweeney
Department of Psychiatry and Addiction Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Stud Alcohol 66:220-8. 2005..This prospective study evaluates the role of psychological and social factors in a community sample of both alcoholics and their partners in predicting recovery over a 9-year interval...
- Depressive symptoms over time in women partners of men with and without alcohol problemsSusan Nolen-Hoeksema
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 115:601-9. 2006..The women's antisociality and family conflict most strongly predicted increases in the women's depressive symptoms over time. In addition, family conflict mediated the effects of maternal antisociality on the women's depressive symptoms...
- Edith Silverglied Lisansky Gomberg, PhD 1920-2005Robert A Zucker
University of Michigan Addiction Research Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:178-9. 2006
- Social competence in children of alcoholic parents over timeAndrea M Hussong
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Dev Psychol 41:747-59. 2005..Implications of these findings for understanding the development of social competence in children, and at-risk children in particular, are discussed...
- Marital interaction in alcoholic and nonalcoholic couples: alcoholic subtype variations and wives' alcoholism statusFrank J Floyd
Department of Psychology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 5010, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 115:121-30. 2006..Discussion focuses on possible mechanisms linking antisocial alcoholism and discrepant alcoholic diagnoses to poorer marital outcomes...
- Predictors of aggression across three generations among sons of alcoholics: relationships involving grandparental and parental alcoholism, child aggression, marital aggression and parenting practicesBret E Fuller
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Parkway, Mail Code CB 669, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Stud Alcohol 64:472-83. 2003..Given the importance of aggressive, undercontrolled behavior in the etiology of alcoholism, the purpose of this study was to construct a statistical model of intergenerational aggression and alcoholism among family members...
- [Influence of impulsivity, suicidality and serotonin genes on treatment outcomes in alcohol dependence]Marcin Wojnar
Katedra i Klinika Psychiatryczna AM w Warszawie
Psychiatr Pol 40:985-94. 2006..The aim of the study was to identify risk factors of relapse by investigating relationships among suicidality, impulsivity, genetic markers of serotonin activity, and relapse in alcohol-dependent patients...
- Developmental trajectories of disruptive behavior problems among sons of alcoholics: effects of parent psychopathology, family conflict, and child undercontrolAlexandra Loukas
Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 112:119-31. 2003..Low levels of undercontrol protected sons of ASPD parents from experiencing heightened levels of disruptive behaviors both at school entry and increasingly as sons grew older. Implications for subsequent maladjustment are discussed...
- Antisocial alcoholism and serotonin-related polymorphisms: association testsElizabeth M Hill
Department of Psychology, University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, Michigan 48219, USA
Psychiatr Genet 12:143-53. 2002..Future studies are needed to examine joint and interactive effects of serotonin-related markers...
- Behavioral control and resiliency in the onset of alcohol and illicit drug use: a prospective study from preschool to adolescenceMaria M Wong
Department of Psychology, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 8112, USA
Child Dev 77:1016-33. 2006..32, SD=0.89). Children with slower rates of increase in behavioral control were more likely to use alcohol and other drugs in adolescence. Children with higher initial levels of resiliency were less likely to begin using alcohol...
- Really underage drinkers: alcohol use among elementary studentsJohn E Donovan
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:341-9. 2004....
- Neuropsychological executive functioning in children at elevated risk for alcoholism: findings in early adolescenceJoel T Nigg
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 113:302-14. 2004..Results suggest that executive deficits are not part of the highest risk, antisocial pathway to alcoholism but that some executive function weaknesses may contribute to a secondary risk pathway...
- Genotype and neuropsychological response inhibition as resilience promoters for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, and conduct disorder under conditions of psychosocial adversityJoel Nigg
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1116, USA
Dev Psychopathol 19:767-86. 2007..Results illustrate potential neurobiological protective factors related to development of prefrontal cortex that may enable children to avoid developing ADHD and CD in the presence of psychosocial adversity...
- Defining risk heterogeneity for internalizing symptoms among children of alcoholic parentsAndrea M Hussong
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3270, USA
Dev Psychopathol 20:165-93. 2008....
- Social environmental influences on the development and resolution of alcohol problemsBarbara S McCrady
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:688-99. 2006..Kaskutas), and the influence of the occupational environment (Dr. Ames). Dr. Longabaugh, the symposium discussant, addressed models for understanding the relationships between social influences and drinking problems...
- Pooling data from multiple longitudinal studies: the role of item response theory in integrative data analysisPatrick J Curran
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3270, USA
Dev Psychol 44:365-80. 2008..The authors describe and demonstrate each step in the analysis and conclude with a discussion of potential limitations and directions for future research...
- Underage drinking: a developmental frameworkAnn S Masten
Institute of Child Development, University of Minnesota, 51 East River Rd, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Pediatrics 121:S235-51. 2008..Strategic, sensitive, and effective efforts to address the problem of underage drinking will require a developmentally informed approach to research, prevention, and treatment...
- Childhood and adolescent resiliency, regulation, and executive functioning in relation to adolescent problems and competence in a high-risk sampleMichelle M Martel
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1116, USA
Dev Psychopathol 19:541-63. 2007..Results are discussed in relation to recent trait models of regulation and the scaffolded development of competence and problems in childhood and adolescence...
- Poor response inhibition as a predictor of problem drinking and illicit drug use in adolescents at risk for alcoholism and other substance use disordersJoel T Nigg
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 116, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:468-75. 2006..To evaluate the predictive power of executive functions, in particular, response inhibition, in relation to alcohol-related problems and illicit drug use in adolescence...
- Forgiveness and alcohol problems among people entering substance abuse treatmentJon R Webb
East Tennessee State University, Department of Psychology, Campus Box 70649, Johnson City, TN 37614, USA
J Addict Dis 25:55-67. 2006..ForSelf may be most difficult to achieve and thus most important to recovery, thereby preventing full recovery and fostering relapses...
- Normative Symbol Digit Modalities Test performance in a community-based sampleLaura K Sheridan
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA
Arch Clin Neuropsychol 21:23-8. 2006..In a multivariate model, these four variables did not impact test performance. These results support the utilization of the SDMT as a robust screening test for adult neuropsychological impairment...