Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Woetmann A, Raghunath P, Odum N, Wasik M. STAT3 induces transcription of the DNA methyltransferase 1 gene (DNMT1) in malignant T lymphocytes. Blood. 2006;108:1058-64 pubmed..Finally, these data provide further rationale for therapeutically targeting STAT3 in T-cell lymphomas and, possibly, other malignancies. ..
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Liu X, Wasik M. STAT5A is epigenetically silenced by the tyrosine kinase NPM1-ALK and acts as a tumor suppressor by reciprocally inhibiting NPM1-ALK expression. Nat Med. 2007;13:1341-8 pubmed..These results show that NPM1-ALK induces epigenetic silencing of STAT5A gene and that STAT5A protein can act as a key tumor suppressor by reciprocally inhibiting expression of NPM1-ALK. ..
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Bhutani G, Liu X, Paessler M, Tobias J, et al. Lack of TNFalpha expression protects anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive T-cell lymphoma (ALK+ TCL) cells from apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:15843-8 pubmed publisher..These findings provide additional rationale for the therapeutic inhibition of DNA methyltransferases in ALK+ TCL. They also suggest that treatment with TNFalpha may be highly effective in this type of lymphoma. ..
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Liu X, Bhutani G, Kantekure K, Wasik M. IL-2R common gamma-chain is epigenetically silenced by nucleophosphin-anaplastic lymphoma kinase (NPM-ALK) and acts as a tumor suppressor by targeting NPM-ALK. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:11977-82 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the oncogenic tyrosine kinase NPM-ALK induces epigenetic silencing of the IL-2R? gene and that IL-2R? acts as a tumor suppressor by reciprocally inhibiting expression of NPM-ALK. ..
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Kantekure K, Paterson J, Liu X, Schaffer A, et al. Oncogenic tyrosine kinase NPM-ALK induces expression of the growth-promoting receptor ICOS. Blood. 2011;118:3062-71 pubmed publisher..These data also show that the DNA methylation status of the intronic CpG island affects transcriptional activity of the ICOS gene and, consequently, modulates the concentration of the expressed ICOS protein. ..
- Werner M, Zhang Q, Wasik M. From Pathology to Precision Medicine in Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Expressing Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase (ALK+ ALCL). Cancers (Basel). 2017;9: pubmed publisher..We discuss the molecular mechanisms underlying ALK+ ALCL pathology and the questions that remain in the field. Finally, we visit how decades of ALK+ ALCL research has yielded more precise drugs that hold promise for the future. ..