Susan M Zbikowski
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Utilization of services in a randomized trial testing phone- and web-based interventions for smoking cessationSusan M Zbikowski
Free and Clear, Inc, Clinical and Behavioral Sciences, Seattle, WA, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:319-27. 2011..Understanding how utilization varies by mode, the impact of utilization on outcomes, and predictors of utilization across each mode could lead to improved treatments...
- Phone and web-based tobacco cessation treatment: real-world utilization patterns and outcomes for 11,000 tobacco usersSusan M Zbikowski
Free and Clear, Inc, 999 Third Avenue, Suite 2100, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e41. 2008..Many cessation treatments are commercially available, but few integrate the phone and Web for delivery and no published studies exist for integrated programs...
- Impact of symptoms experienced by varenicline users on tobacco treatment in a real world settingAbigail C Halperin
University of Washington, Seattle, 1107 NE 45th Street, Suite 345, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 36:428-34. 2009..21%, p < .01). Counseling may improve tolerance of this medication and reduce the rate of discontinuation due to side effects...
- Adherence to varenicline in the COMPASS smoking cessation intervention trialSheryl L Catz
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:361-8. 2011..It is important to understand the extent to which prescribed medications are actually taken by smokers, how this influences smoking cessation outcomes, and what factors may influence adherence...
- Smoking outcome by psychiatric history after behavioral and varenicline treatmentJennifer B McClure
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 38:394-402. 2010..Groups had similar 30-day abstinence rates at 6 months (31.5% PH+ vs. 35.4% PH-, p = .35). In sum, having a psychiatric diagnosis in this trial did not predict worse treatment outcome or worse treatment side effects...
- State quitlines and cessation patterns among adults with selected chronic diseases in 15 states, 2005-2008Terry Bush
Alere Wellbeing, Inc, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 9:E163. 2012..State tobacco cessation quitlines are available for free in every state. The objective of our study was to compare demographic characteristics, use of quitline services, and quit rates among a sample of quitline callers...
- Nicotine patches and uninsured quitline callers. A randomized trial of two versus eight weeksTimothy A McAfee
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:103-10. 2008..Because of funding limitations some provide short courses of NRT. No randomized trial has evaluated the relative benefit of short versus standard treatment...
- Mood, side-effects and smoking outcomes among persons with and without probable lifetime depression taking vareniclineJennifer B McClure
Group Health Center for Health Studies, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:563-9. 2009..Varenicline may be associated with greater mood disturbance and side-effects among smokers with psychiatric history, but empirical evidence is limited. Differential treatment effectiveness by psychiatric history may also exist...
- Reaching out, inviting back: using Interactive voice response (IVR) technology to recycle relapsed smokers back to Quitline treatment--a randomized controlled trialBeatriz H Carlini
Alere Wellbeing, Seattle, 999 Third Avenue, Suite 2100, Seattle, WA 98104 1139, USA
BMC Public Health 12:507. 2012....
- Results from an outreach program for health systems change in tobacco cessationGillian L Schauer
Alere Wellbeing, Seattle, WA, USA
Health Promot Pract 13:657-65. 2012..The outreach program uses academic detailing and online tools to increase routine identification and treatment of tobacco users. This article summarizes outcomes from the first 2 years of the program...
- Cigarette smoking and nicotine dependenceSusan M Zbikowski
Center for Health Promotion, Inc, 12401 East Marginal Way South, Tukwila, WA 98168, USA
Med Clin North Am 88:1453-65, x. 2004..This article presents a brief overview of nicotine dependence with particular emphasis placed on understanding what nicotine dependence is, why it occurs, how it is measured, and how it can be managed through effective treatments...
- Prevalence and characteristics of smokers at 30 Pacific Northwest colleges and universitiesBeti Thompson
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:429-38. 2007..Data indicate that college smokers wish and plan to quit before graduation, suggesting that efforts to assist smokers in quitting during the college years may be fruitful...
- Physician tobacco advice to preteens in a smoking-prevention randomized trial: steering clearTim McAfee
Free and Clear, 12401 East Marginal Way South, Tukwila, Washington 98168, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 30:371-6. 2005..To examine preadolescent and parental recall of tobacco prevention messages by health care providers...
- A review of smoking cessation interventions for smokers aged 50 and olderSusan M Zbikowski
Alere Wellbeing formerly Free and Clear, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Maturitas 71:131-41. 2012..Studies suggest that older smokers are motivated to quit and succeed, but few of these have been randomized controlled trials. There is a need to systematically evaluate the research on effective interventions in older smokers...
- Telephone-based tobacco-cessation treatment: re-enrollment among diverse groupsBeatriz H Carlini
Free and Clear, Inc, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:73-6. 2008..This study aimed to determine the rates of quitline re-enrollment and to compare the responses of people of varying racial/ethnic identities to invitations utilizing different communication strategies...
- Utilization of a Web-based vs integrated phone/Web cessation program among 140,000 tobacco users: an evaluation across 10 free state quitlinesChelsea M Nash
Alere Wellbeing, Research, Training and Evaluation Services, Seattle, WA, United States
J Med Internet Res 17:e36. 2015..Relatively little is known about who selects different treatment modalities and how they engage with treatments in a real-world setting...
- Impact of baseline weight on smoking cessation and weight gain in quitlinesTerry M Bush
Alere Wellbeing, 999 Third Avenue, Ste 2100, Seattle, WA, 98104, USA
Ann Behav Med 47:208-17. 2014..The use and effectiveness of tobacco quitlines by weight is still unknown...
- Smoking cessation in a blue-collar population: results from an evidence-based pilot programKnut Ringen
Stoneturn Consultants, Seattle, Washington 98166, USA
Am J Ind Med 42:367-77. 2002..The absence of evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of smoking cessation programs has kept Taft Hartley Funds from investing in smoking cessation benefits...
- Randomized trial of telephone-delivered acceptance and commitment therapy versus cognitive behavioral therapy for smoking cessation: a pilot studyJonathan B Bricker
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Nicotine Tob Res 16:1446-54. 2014..We conducted a pilot randomized trial of telephone-delivered acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) versus cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for smoking cessation...
- Use of electronic cigarettes among state tobacco cessation quitline callersKatrina A Vickerman
Research, Training and Evaluation Services, Alere Wellbeing, Seattle, WA
Nicotine Tob Res 15:1787-91. 2013..This study investigates these questions and describes differences among state quitline callers who used e-cigarettes for 1 month or more, used e-cigarettes for less than 1 month, or never tried e-cigarettes...
- Outcomes and utilization of a low intensity workplace weight loss programKelly M Carpenter
Alere Wellbeing, 999 Third Avenue, Suite 2100, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Obes 2014:414987. 2014..Although limited by the low follow-up rate, this evaluation suggests that even low intensity weight loss programs can lead to clinical weight loss for a significant number of participants. ..