Affiliation: University of Utah
- Mobilization of peripheral blood stem cells in myeloma with either pegfilgrastim or filgrastim following chemotherapyGuido Tricot
University of Utah School of Medicine, 30N 1900E, 5C402, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 USA
Haematologica 93:1739-42. 2008..001) and (v) platelet recovery was faster after first transplant (when less stem cells were infused) (p=0.01). Pegfilgrastim may be considered the standard of care for stem cell mobilization...
- Mechanisms of thrombosis in paraproteinemias: the effects of immunomodulatory drugsMaurizio Zangari
Myeloma Program, Division of Hematology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84132, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 38:768-79. 2012..In this review we will focus on IMiD-associated effects on specific thrombotic mechanisms...
- Impact of bortezomib on bone health in myeloma: a review of current evidenceMaurizio Zangari
Stem Cell Transplant and Myeloma Program, University of Utah, UT 84132, USA
Cancer Treat Rev 38:968-80. 2012..As reviewed here, a growing body of evidence indicates that bortezomib exerts a positive effect on bone metabolism in MM and has a bone anabolic effect...
- Low venous thromboembolic risk with bortezomib in multiple myeloma and potential protective effect with thalidomide/lenalidomide-based therapy: review of data from phase 3 trials and studies of novel combination regimensMaurizio Zangari
Blood Marrow Transplant and Myeloma Program, Division of Hematology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 11:228-36. 2011..Taken together, these data confirm the low VTE risk associated with bortezomib and support a potential protective effect of bortezomib in combination with IMiD-based regimens associated with elevated VTE risk...
- Activated protein C resistance as measured by residual factor V after Russell's viper venom and activated protein C treatment analyzed as a continuous variable in multiple myeloma and normal controlsMaurizio Zangari
Myeloma Program, Division of Hematology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 22:420-3. 2011..045) serum levels and a direct correlation with prothrombin time value (P=0.034). The Pefakit APC-R test measured as continuous variable shows a statistically significant decrease in patients with myeloma compared to normal individuals...
- Alkaline phosphatase variation during carfilzomib treatment is associated with best response in multiple myeloma patientsMaurizio Zangari
Division of Hematology, University of Utah, Blood Marrow Transplant and Myeloma Program, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Eur J Haematol 86:484-7. 2011..This retrospective analysis of patients with relapsed or refractory myeloma treated with single-agent carfilzomib indicates that early elevation in ALP is associated with subsequent myeloma response...
- A prospective evaluation of the biochemical, metabolic, hormonal and structural bone changes associated with bortezomib response in multiple myeloma patientsMaurizio Zangari
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Haematologica 96:333-6. 2011..04 on days 11, 21, 33) in responding individuals. This study demonstrates that the myeloma control produced by proteasome inhibition is associated with bone changes and to a discrete pattern of hormonal variation...
- Survival effect of venous thromboembolism in patients with multiple myeloma treated with lenalidomide and high-dose dexamethasoneMaurizio Zangari
Division of Hematology, Blood Marrow Transplant and Myeloma Program, 30 N 1900 E, 5C402, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:132-5. 2010..7, time to progression P = .1). CONCLUSION Patients with MM treated with lenalidomide and high-dose dexamethasone who developed a VTE did not experience shorter overall survival or time to progression...
- Thrombotic events in patients with cancer receiving antiangiogenesis agentsMaurizio Zangari
University of Utah, Division of Hematology, Blood Marrow Transplant and Myeloma Program, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:4865-73. 2009..Close attention to hemostatic complications during antiangiogenic treatment is warranted. Further studies are required to better understand the pathophysiologic mechanisms involved and to define a safe prophylactic strategy...
- Cytomegalovirus reactivation following autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for multiple myeloma in the era of novel chemotherapeutics and tandem transplantationJong Hun Kim
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 18:1753-8. 2012..CMV surveillance should be considered, especially when tandem transplantation is performed using combination chemotherapy with high-dose melphalan...
- NEK2 induces drug resistance mainly through activation of efflux drug pumps and is associated with poor prognosis in myeloma and other cancersWen Zhou
Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Cancer Cell 23:48-62. 2013..High expression of NEK2 induced drug resistance mainly through activation of the efflux pumps. Thus, NEK2 represents a strong predictor for drug resistance and poor prognosis in cancer and could be an important target for cancer therapy...
- Bone and paraproteinemiasMaurizio Zangari
University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 4:195-9. 2010..Bone has always been considered a target organ for neoplastic disorder. This review analyzed the close interaction between bone microenvironment and paraproteinemias...
- Over-expression of CKS1B activates both MEK/ERK and JAK/STAT3 signaling pathways and promotes myeloma cell drug-resistanceLei Shi
Division of Hematology BMT myeloma Program, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Oncotarget 1:22-33. 2010..Thus, our findings provide a rationale for targeting STAT3 and MEK/ERK/BCL2 signaling in aggressive CKS1B-overexpressing MM...
- Could hypoxia increase the prevalence of thrombotic complications in polycythemia vera?Maurizio Zangari
Division of Hematology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 24:311-6. 2013..This retrospective study suggests that even moderate hypoxia associated with 5000 feet elevation should be considered as an independent prothrombotic risk factor. This observation needs to be confirmed by prospective studies...
- Low-risk identification in multiple myeloma using a new 14-gene modelTiehua Chen
Molecular Medicine Program, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Eur J Haematol 89:28-36. 2012..We have developed a new gene model (MMSI14) for defining low-risk, newly diagnosed MM. The multivariate comparative analysis confirmed that MMSI14 is the best available model to predict clinical outcome in MM patients...
- Progress in myeloma stem cellsRichard Dela Cruz
Division of Hematology, Blood Marrow Transplant and Myeloma Program 30 N 1900 E, 5C417, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Am J Blood Res 1:135-45. 2011..In this review, we report recent progress of cell surface markers in cancer stem cells, especially in myeloma and the molecular mechanisms related to drug resistance and myeloma disease progression...