Carlton J Young
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Are there still roles for exocrine bladder drainage and portal venous drainage for pancreatic allografts?Carlton J Young
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 14:90-4. 2009....
- Health disparities in transplantation: focus on the complexity and challenge of renal transplantation in African AmericansCarlton J Young
Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Lyons Harrison Research Building, LHRB 728, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
Med Clin North Am 89:1003-31, ix. 2005..Factors that predispose African Americans for ESRD, impede this ethnic group from timely transplantation, and negatively influence graft survival are examined. Possible solutions to these persistent problems are offered...
- Suppression of the c-Jun N-terminal kinase pathway by 17beta-estradiol can preserve human islet functional mass from proinflammatory cytokine-induced destructionDevin E Eckhoff
Division of Transplantation, and Transplant Center, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Surgery 134:169-79. 2003..Previous studies demonstrated that 17beta-estradiol modulates the activity of JNK; therefore we assessed the effects of 17beta-estradiol on JNK activation on islet survival and function after transplantation...
- Brain death significantly reduces isolated pancreatic islet yields and functionality in vitro and in vivo after transplantation in ratsJuan L Contreras
Division of Transplantation, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Diabetes 52:2935-42. 2003..In conclusion, brain death significantly reduced islet yields and functionality. These observations may lead to strategies to reduce the effects of brain death on pancreatic islets and improve the results in clinical transplantation...
- Enhanced isolated pancreatic islet recovery and functionality in rats by 17beta-estradiol treatment of brain death donorsDevin E Eckhoff
Division of Transplantation and Transplant Center, Department of Surgery Prosthodontics and Biomaterials, University of Alabama School of Dentistry, Birmingham, AL, USA
Surgery 136:336-45. 2004..Furthermore, inhibition of PIC release has been demonstrated after E2 treatment. In the present study, we evaluated if E2 treatment to BD donors would improve pancreatic islet recovery and functionality...
- A novel approach to xenotransplantation combining surface engineering and genetic modification of isolated adult porcine isletsJuan L Contreras
Department of Surgery, Division of Human Gene Therapy and Gene Therapy Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Surgery 136:537-47. 2004..In this study, we assessed survival and function of surface-engineered porcine islets genetically modified to overexpress Bcl-2...
- Double genetic modification of adenovirus fiber with RGD polylysine motifs significantly enhances gene transfer to isolated human pancreatic isletsJuan L Contreras
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Transplantation 76:252-61. 2003....
- 17beta-Estradiol protects isolated human pancreatic islets against proinflammatory cytokine-induced cell death: molecular mechanisms and islet functionalityJuan L Contreras
Transplant Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Transplantation 74:1252-9. 2002..In this study, we evaluated the effects of estradiol on isolated human pancreatic islet (IHPI) survival after exposure to PIC and analyzed potential mechanisms of action...
- Peripheral mobilization of recipient bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells enhances pancreatic islet revascularization and engraftment after intraportal transplantationJuan L Contreras
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35295, USA
Surgery 134:390-8. 2003..Therefore, we investigated the therapeutic potential of angioblast mobilization for stimulation of islet revascularization and therefore engraftment after transplantation...
- Coupling endoplasmic reticulum stress to cell death program in isolated human pancreatic islets: effects of gene transfer of Bcl-2Juan L Contreras
Division of Transplantation, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 748 Lyons Harrison Research Building, 701 19th Street South, AL 35294, Birmingham, USA
Transpl Int 16:537-42. 2003..We can conclude that the current studies highlight the importance of Bcl-2 as an anti-apoptotic protein, and shed new light on the mechanisms underlying its cytoprotective effects on pancreatic islets...
- Outcomes of brachiocephalic fistulas, transposed brachiobasilic fistulas, and upper arm graftsIvan D Maya
Division of Nephrology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:86-92. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare the outcomes of three upper arm access types: brachiocephalic fistulas, transposed brachiobasilic fistulas, and grafts...
- Racial disparities in renal allograft survival: a public health issue?Devin E Eckhoff
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:894-902; discussion 902-3. 2007..The purpose of this study was to examine both immunologic and nonimmunologic risk factors for allograft loss with a goal of defining targeted strategies to improve outcomes among African Americans...
- Is surgical salvage of arteriovenous grafts feasible after unsuccessful percutaneous mechanical thrombectomy?Ivan D Maya
Division of Nephrology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Semin Dial 21:174-7. 2008..Surgical salvage of a thrombosed AV graft after an unsuccessful percutaneous intervention is rarely feasible. Most patients have a severe anatomic lesion that cannot be repaired, and require creation of a new vascular access...
- Retrograde stenting for obstruction of the renal transplant ureterEdward R Gerrard
Division of Urology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 3411, USA
Urology 66:256-60; discussion 260. 2005..To present our experience with retrograde stent placement and stent exchange for transplant ureteral obstruction...
- Increased risk of infection associated with polyurethane dialysis graftsIvan D Maya
Division of Nephrology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Semin Dial 20:616-20. 2007..In patients with an access emergency, implantation of a polyurethane graft incurs a tradeoff between earlier cannulation and a higher risk of infection...
- Emerging antibody therapy in organ transplantationMario Vilatoba
Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Curr Surg 62:553-62, quiz 562-3. 2005
- Arteriovenous access outcomes in haemodialysis patients with HIV infectionDana Mitchell
Division of Nephrology, 728 Richard Arrington Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:465-70. 2007..Arteriovenous (AV) grafts in haemodialysis patients usually fail due to thrombosis or infection. There is limited information on whether graft outcomes in HIV-positive haemodialysis patients differ from those in HIV-negative controls...
- African Americans and renal transplantation: disproportionate need, limited access, and impaired outcomesCarlton J Young
Department of Surgery, Division of Transplantation, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0006, USA
Am J Med Sci 323:94-9. 2002..This imbalance, coupled with AA disproportionately representing those with ESRD, has kept AA disadvantaged compared with other races, especially whites...
- Medial fibrosis, vascular calcification, intimal hyperplasia, and arteriovenous fistula maturationMichael Allon
Division of Nephrology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 58:437-43. 2011..The pathogenesis of AVF nonmaturation may be related to pre-existing vascular pathologic states: medial fibrosis or microcalcification may limit arterial dilation, and intimal hyperplasia may cause stenosis...
- Donor nephrectomy: A comparison of techniques and results of open, hand assisted and full laparoscopic nephrectomyRizk El-Galley
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 3411, USA
J Urol 171:40-3. 2004..There have been some concerns about the function of kidney grafts harvested by laparoscopic procedures. We report our results of LAP...
- Simvastatin induces activation of the serine-threonine protein kinase AKT and increases survival of isolated human pancreatic isletsJuan L Contreras
Transplant Center, Division of Transplantation, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 748 Lyons Harrison Research Building, 701 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Transplantation 74:1063-9. 2002..Simvastatin activates Akt in mammalian cells; therefore, we investigated the role of simvastatin on human pancreatic islets (HPI) survival...
- Hemodialysis arteriovenous fistula maturity: US evaluationMichelle L Robbin
Department of Radiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 19th St S, JTN350, Birmingham, AL 35249 6830, USA
Radiology 225:59-64. 2002..To compare various objective ultrasonographic (US) criteria for native arteriovenous fistula (AVF) maturation with subsequent fistula outcomes and clinical evaluation by experienced dialysis nurses...
- Understanding the influence of ethnicity on renal allograft survivalCarlton J Young
Am J Transplant 5:2603-4. 2005