Bessie Ann Young
Affiliation: University of Washington
- How to overcome barriers and establish a successful home HD programBessie A Young
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Kidney Research Institute, Division of Nephrology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:2023-32. 2012..This in-depth review describes barriers to home HD, focusing on patients, individual physicians and practices, and dialysis facilities, and offers suggestions for how to overcome these barriers and establish a successful home HD program...
- Physician support for diabetes patients and clinical outcomesJochen Gensichen
Institute for General Practice, University Hospital Jena, Jena, Germany
BMC Public Health 9:367. 2009..Physician practical support (e.g. setting goals, pro-active follow-up) and communicative support (e.g., empathic listening, eliciting preferences) have been hypothesized to influence diabetes outcomes...
- Prevention of sudden cardiac arrest in dialysis patients: can we do more to improve outcomes?Bessie A Young
Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Seattle VA Puget Sound Healthcare System, Seattle, Washington, USA
Kidney Int 79:147-9. 2011..Observational studies suggest that modification of the dialysis prescription may be one place to intervene. Prospective research is needed to determine mechanisms of SCA in hemodialysis patients...
- Association of major depression and mortality in Stage 5 diabetic chronic kidney diseaseBessie A Young
Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 32:119-24. 2010..Depression is the most common psychiatric disorder in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD). We sought to determine the association of major depression with mortality among diabetic patients with late stage CKD...
- Effects of ethnicity and nephropathy on lower-extremity amputation risk among diabetic veteransBessie A Young
Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Department of Veterans Affairs, Seattle Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Diabetes Care 26:495-501. 2003..To describe ethnic differences in the risk of amputation in diabetic patients with diabetic nephropathy...
- Diabetes complications severity index and risk of mortality, hospitalization, and healthcare utilizationBessie Ann Young
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System 152 E, Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:15-23. 2008..To determine whether the number and severity of diabetes complications are associated with increased risk of mortality and hospitalizations...
- Racial and ethnic differences in incident myocardial infarction in end-stage renal disease patients: The USRDSB A Young
Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington, USA
Kidney Int 69:1691-8. 2006..We conclude that in a national setting where comparable access to dialysis and associated medical care, exist, racial/ethnic minorities were found to have a lower risk of non-fatal and fatal MI than Caucasians...
- Diabetes and renal disease in veteransBessie A Young
Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Department of Veterans Affairs, Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 27:B45-9. 2004..To describe the frequency and sequelae of diabetic renal disease in veterans who receive health care from the Veterans Administration (VA)...
- Racial and ethnic differences in microalbuminuria prevalence in a diabetes population: the pathways studyBessie A Young
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:219-28. 2005..In this setting, racial/ethnic differences in early diabetic nephropathy were observed despite comparable access to diabetes care...
- Racial differences in diabetic nephropathy, cardiovascular disease, and mortality in a national population of veteransBessie A Young
Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Diabetes Care 26:2392-9. 2003..To determine racial differences in the prevalence of diabetic nephropathy, cardiovascular disease (CVD), and risk of mortality in a national health care system...
- Depression and advanced complications of diabetes: a prospective cohort studyElizabeth H B Lin
Group Health Research Institute, Group Health, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 33:264-9. 2010..To prospectively examine the association of depression with risks for advanced macrovascular and microvascular complications among patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Racial and ethnic variations in albuminuria in the US Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) population: associations with diabetes and level of CKDChris L Bryson
Epidemiologic Research and Information Center and Northwest Center of Excellence, Health Services Research and Development, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 48:720-6. 2006..CONCLUSION: Racial and ethnic minorities have greater odds of albuminuria than whites with and without diabetes, which persists primarily for those with an eGFR less than 60 mL/min/1.73 m(2)...
- Relationship styles and mortality in patients with diabetesPaul Ciechanowski
Department of Psychiatry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 33:539-44. 2010..Further research is needed to examine possible mechanisms for this relationship and to develop appropriate interventions...
- Race/ethnicity, social support, and associations with diabetes self-care and clinical outcomes in NHANESCourtney A Rees
Department of Health Services, University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, WA 98195 7660, USA
Diabetes Educ 36:435-45. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate how social support and race/ethnicity were associated with diabetes self-care behaviors and clinical outcomes...
- Depression and incident diabetic foot ulcers: a prospective cohort studyLISA H WILLIAMS
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash, USA
Am J Med 123:748-754.e3. 2010..To test whether depression is associated with an increased risk of incident diabetic foot ulcers...
- Correlates of patient-reported racial/ethnic health care discrimination in the Diabetes Study of Northern California (DISTANCE)Courtney R Lyles
University of Washington, Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 22:211-25. 2011..We examined possible determinants of self-reported health care discrimination...
- Association between alcohol consumption and diabetes preventive practicesLisa D Chew
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA
Fam Med 37:589-94. 2005..Little is known about the effect of alcohol consumption on the quality of care among patients with diabetes. We evaluated the association between alcohol consumption and diabetes preventive practices...
- The association of patient relationship style and outcomes in collaborative care treatment for depression in patients with diabetesPaul S Ciechanowski
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195 6560, USA
Med Care 44:283-91. 2006..We sought to determine whether relationship style in patients with diabetes receiving depression treatment is associated with differential quality of care and depression outcomes...
- Depression and increased mortality in diabetes: unexpected causes of deathElizabeth H B Lin
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Ann Fam Med 7:414-21. 2009..Recent evidence suggests that depression is linked to increased mortality among patients with diabetes. This study examines the association of depression with all-cause and cause-specific mortality in diabetes...
- Diabetes complications and depression as predictors of health service costsGregory E Simon
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 27:344-51. 2005..The aim of this study was to assess the relative contributions of diabetes complications, depression and comorbid medical disorders to health service costs in adults with diabetes...
- How does change in depressive symptomatology influence weight change in patients with diabetes? Observational results from the Pathways longitudinal cohortEvette J Ludman
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65:93-8. 2010..Little is known about how change in depressive symptoms over time is associated with change in weight...
- Telmisartan is more effective than losartan in reducing proteinuria in patients with diabetic nephropathyGeorge Bakris
Department of Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kidney Int 74:364-9. 2008..We conclude that telmisartan is superior to losartan in reducing proteinuria in hypertensive patients with diabetic nephropathy, despite a similar reduction in blood pressure...
- Health disparities in chronic kidney disease: are we making any progress?Bessie A Young
Veterans Affairs, Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, USA
Nephrol News Issues 23:48, 50-1. 2009....
- Effects of race on survival after stem cell transplantationMarco Mielcarek
Division of Clinical Research, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:231-9. 2005..We cannot exclude the possibility that the increased mortality risk among blacks after discharge from the transplant center might in part be related to unidentified sociocultural differences that influence medical care...
- Cost-effectiveness of systematic depression treatment among people with diabetes mellitusGregory E Simon
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:65-72. 2007..Depression co-occurring with diabetes mellitus is associated with higher health services costs, suggesting that more effective depression treatment might reduce use of other medical services...
- Clinical problem-solving. Variations on a themeZachary D Goldberger
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and the University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1502-7. 2008
- Cardiovascular risk factors and incident acute renal failure in older adults: the cardiovascular health studyAnuja Mittalhenkle
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, Mail Code MQ360, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 S W Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:450-6. 2008..Although the elderly are at increased risk for acute renal failure, few prospective studies have identified risk factors for acute renal failure in the elderly...
- Comparison of survival between short-daily hemodialysis and conventional hemodialysis using the standardized mortality ratioChristopher R Blagg
University of Washington and Northwest Kidney Centers, Seattle, Washington, USA
Hemodial Int 10:371-4. 2006..Patients treated by short-daily hemodialysis have a better survival rate than comparable populations treated by conventional hemodialysis...
- Body mass index is associated with increased creatinine clearance by a mechanism independent of body fat distributionFernando Gerchman
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, VA Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:3781-8. 2009..Although obesity has been, in general, associated with glomerular hyperfiltration, visceral adiposity has been suggested to be associated with reduced glomerular filtration...
- Research profile. Kidney disease. Is race a factor?Patty Walsh
Diabetes Forecast 55:88-90. 2002
- The Increasing Kidney Disease Awareness Network (IKAN) Transplant ProtectBessie A Young; Fiscal Year: 2010..The successful completion of this project will provide culturally competent educational material that can be utilized to increase transplantation and CKD risk factor reduction education ..
- The Increasing Kidney Disease Awareness Network (IKAN) Transplant ProtectBessie Young; Fiscal Year: 2009..The successful completion of this project will provide culturally competent educational material that can be utilized to increase transplantation and CKD risk factor reduction education ..