Irene H Yen
Affiliation: University of California
- Women's perceptions of neighborhood resources and hazards related to diet, physical activity, and smoking: focus group results from economically distinct neighborhoods in a mid-sized U.S. cityIrene H Yen
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street Suite 335, San Francisco, CA 94143 0856, USA
Am J Health Promot 22:98-106. 2007..To investigate women's perceptions of neighborhood resources and hazards associated with poor diet, physical inactivity, and cigarette smoking...
- How design of places promotes or inhibits mobility of older adults: realist synthesis of 20 years of researchIrene H Yen
University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Aging Health 26:1340-72. 2014..The objective of this study was to determine the environmental features that best support aging in place...
- Older people and social connectedness: how place and activities keep people engagedIrene H Yen
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 335, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
J Aging Res 2012:139523. 2012..Multiple locations influence older adults' health, including residential neighborhoods. Older adults value mobility, active lives, and social connections...
- Built environment and mobility of older adults: important policy and practice effortsIrene H Yen
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94118, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:951-6. 2012..Given the importance of mobility concerns to older adults, it must be determined without delay which design features support mobility and how local areas can better prepare to support the health of their aging populations...
- Measuring the neighborhood environment: associations with young girls' energy intake and expenditure in a cross-sectional studyCindy W Leung
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 335, Box 0856, San Francisco, CA 94143 0856 USA
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 7:52. 2010..abstract:..
- Neighborhood environment in studies of health of older adults: a systematic reviewIrene H Yen
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0856, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:455-63. 2009..The health of older adults may be more influenced by their neighborhoods as a result of decreased mobility. However, research on neighborhood's influence on older adults' health, specifically, is limited...
- Impact of perceived neighborhood problems on change in asthma-related health outcomes between baseline and follow-upIrene H Yen
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 335, San Francisco, CA 94143 0856, USA
Health Place 14:468-77. 2008..34; 95% confidence interval: 1.09-5.00). NP did not predict decline in QOL. Analyses adjusted for demographics, asthma severity, and baseline value of the health outcome...
- Perceived neighborhood problems and quality of life, physical functioning, and depressive symptoms among adults with asthmaIrene H Yen
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 335, San Francisco, CA 94143 0856, USA
Am J Public Health 96:873-9. 2006..We investigated associations between perceived neighborhood problems and quality of life (QOL), physical functioning, and depressive symptoms among adults with asthma...
- Does neighborhood environment influence girls' pubertal onset? findings from a cohort studyJulianna Deardorff
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
BMC Pediatr 12:27. 2012..The current study prospectively examined associations between neighborhood environment and timing of pubertal onset in a multi-ethnic cohort of girls. Body mass index (BMI) was examined as a mediator of these associations...
- The association of socioeconomic status and psychosocial and physical workplace factors with musculoskeletal injury in hospital workersMarion Gillen
Department of Community Health Systems, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0608, USA
Am J Ind Med 50:245-60. 2007....
- Impact of the home indoor environment on adult asthma and rhinitisPaul D Blanc
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
J Occup Environ Med 47:362-72. 2005..We sought to study the combined effects of multiple home indoor environmental exposures in adult asthma and rhinitis...
- Small food stores and availability of nutritious foods: a comparison of database and in-store measures, Northern California, 2009Ellen Kersten
Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management, University of California, Berkeley, 137 Mulford Hall No 3114, Berkeley, California 94720 3114, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 9:E127. 2012....
- From homeless to hopeless and healthless?: the health impacts of housing challenges among former foster care youth transitioning to adulthood in CaliforniaIrene H Yen
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94143 0856, USA
Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs 32:77-93. 2009....
- Integrating qualitative research into occupational health: a case study among hospital workersDeborah R Gordon
Department of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Occup Environ Med 47:399-409. 2005..We sought to better use qualitative approaches in occupational health research and integrate them with quantitative methods...
- Childhood obesity and the built environmentMaida P Galvez
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 22:202-7. 2010..Whereas studies on the impacts of neighborhood factors on adult obesity are relatively common, studies examining these same factors on childhood obesity are far fewer...
- Predictors of pneumonia severity in HIV-infected adults admitted to an Urban public hospitalKara W Chew
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 25:273-7. 2011..Lack of stable housing was not associated with worse outcomes. The PORT score may be a valid tool to predict mortality and need for hospital admission in HIV-infected patients with CAP...
- Homelessness and health care access after emancipation: results from the Midwest Evaluation of Adult Functioning of Former Foster YouthMargot B Kushel
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, and San Francisco General Hospital, Box 1364, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:986-93. 2007..To estimate the association between housing status and health care access and outcomes among young adults aging out of the child welfare system...
- The psychosocial work environment and musculoskeletal disorders: design of a comprehensive interviewer-administered questionnaireReiner Rugulies
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Ind Med 45:428-39. 2004..Psychosocial working conditions are likely to contribute to work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WRMSDs), but a lack of standardized measurement tools reflects both the theoretical and methodological limitations of current research...
- The association between subjective social status and mental health among Asian immigrants: investigating the influence of age at immigrationJanxin Leu
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 1525, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:1152-64. 2008....
- A comprehensive study of the direct and indirect costs of adult asthmaMiriam G Cisternas
MGC Data Services, Carlsbad, California, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 111:1212-8. 2003..Asthma is a common and costly health condition, but most estimates of its economic effect have relied on secondary sources with limited condition-specific detail...