Affiliation: University of Michigan
- On-line social interactions and executive functionsOscar Ybarra
Adaptive Social Cognition Lab, Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Front Hum Neurosci 6:75. 2012..We review this literature and highlight its connection with evolutionary and cultural theories emphasizing links between intelligence and sociality...
- Supportive social relationships attenuate the appeal of choiceOscar Ybarra
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Psychol Sci 23:1186-92. 2012..This finding offers one possible explanation for the reduced desire for options when people are reminded of supportive relationships...
- Naive causal understanding of valenced behaviors and its implications for social information processingOscar Ybarra
Department of Psycholgoy, Research Center for Group Dynamics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 1109, USA
Psychol Bull 128:421-41. 2002..Comparisons to other models of social inference are considered, implications of the frame-work are examined, and the framework is situated within a general model of the attribution process...
- Disconfirmation of person expectations by older and younger adults: implications for social vigilanceOscar Ybarra
Department of Psychology and Research Center for Group Dynamics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1109, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 57:P435-43. 2002....
- Mental exercising through simple socializing: social interaction promotes general cognitive functioningOscar Ybarra
Department of Psychology, Research Center for Group Dynamics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1109, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 34:248-59. 2008..The findings are discussed in the context of the benefits social relationships have for so many aspects of people's lives...
- Facebook use predicts declines in subjective well-being in young adultsEthan Kross
Psychology Department, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e69841. 2013..On the surface, Facebook provides an invaluable resource for fulfilling the basic human need for social connection. Rather than enhancing well-being, however, these findings suggest that Facebook may undermine it. ..
- Predicting whether multiculturalism positively or negatively influences White Americans' intergroup attitudes: the role of ethnic identificationKimberly Rios Morrison
Department of Psychology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 36:1648-61. 2010..The results are discussed in terms of their implications for threat perceptions, ethnic identification, and conceptions of diversity...
- A warm heart and a clear head. The contingent effects of weather on mood and cognitionMatthew C Keller
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Richmond, VA 23219, USA
Psychol Sci 16:724-31. 2005..These results are consistent with findings on seasonal affective disorder, and suggest that pleasant weather improves mood and broadens cognition in the spring because people have been deprived of such weather during the winter...