Joshua F Yarrow
Affiliation: University of Florida
- Training augments resistance exercise induced elevation of circulating brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)Joshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center GRECC, Gainesville, FL 32608, United States
Neurosci Lett 479:161-5. 2010....
- Neuroendocrine responses to an acute bout of eccentric-enhanced resistance exerciseJoshua F Yarrow
University of Florida, Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Center for Exercise Science, Gainesville, FL 32611 8206, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:941-7. 2007....
- Invalidation of a commercially available human 5α-dihydrotestosterone immunoassayJoshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608, United States Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, United States Electronic address
Steroids 78:1220-5. 2013..The cross-reactivity of testosterone is particularly concerning because testsoterone is present in 100-fold greater concentrations than is DHT within the circulation...
- A rehabilitation exercise program induces severe bone mineral deficits in estrogen-deficient rats after extended disuseJoshua F Yarrow
1VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32607, USA
Menopause 19:1267-76. 2012..The aim of this study was to determine whether estradiol (E2) influences early-phase bone adaptations to reambulation (REAMB) and/or rehabilitation exercises after hindlimb unloading (HLU) of ovariectomized rats...
- Influence of androgens on circulating adiponectin in male and female rodentsJoshua F Yarrow
Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, FL, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e47315. 2012....
- Intracrine and myotrophic roles of 5α-reductase and androgens: a reviewJoshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 44:818-26. 2012..The intramuscular expression of these enzymes suggests that skeletal muscle is capable of synthesizing bioactive androgens, which could induce myotrophic effects via intracrine action...
- 17β-Hydroxyestra-4,9,11-trien-3-one (trenbolone) exhibits tissue selective anabolic activity: effects on muscle, bone, adiposity, hemoglobin, and prostateJoshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32608 1197, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 300:E650-60. 2011..Our findings indicate that TREN has advantages over supraphysiological testosterone and supports the need for future preclinical studies examining the viability of TREN as an option for androgen replacement therapy...
- Tissue selectivity and potential clinical applications of trenbolone (17beta-hydroxyestra-4,9,11-trien-3-one): A potent anabolic steroid with reduced androgenic and estrogenic activityJoshua F Yarrow
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608, United States
Steroids 75:377-89. 2010....
- Early-phase neuroendocrine responses and strength adaptations following eccentric-enhanced resistance trainingJoshua F Yarrow
Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Center for Exercise Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Strength Cond Res 22:1205-14. 2008..In conclusion, TRAD training and ECC+ training appear to result in similar muscular strength adaptations and neuroendocrine responses, while postexercise lactate clearance is enhanced following ECC+ training...
- The effects of short-term alpha-ketoisocaproic acid supplementation on exercise performance: a randomized controlled trialJoshua F Yarrow
University of Florida, Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Center for Exercise Science, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Int Soc Sports Nutr 4:2. 2007..abstract:..
- 17β-Hydroxyestra-4,9,11-trien-3-one (Trenbolone) preserves bone mineral density in skeletally mature orchiectomized rats without prostate enlargementSean C McCoy
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Bone 51:667-73. 2012..These findings indicate that TREN may be an advantageous agent for future clinical trials evaluating agents capable of preventing bone loss resulting from androgen deficiency...
- Supraphysiological testosterone enanthate administration prevents bone loss and augments bone strength in gonadectomized male and female ratsJoshua F Yarrow
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1213-22. 2008..In conclusion, TE administration appears protective of cancellous bone in male rats and augments cortical bone strength in both sexes...
- Methods to quantify sex steroid hormones in bone: applications to the study of androgen ablation and administrationJoshua F Yarrow
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 299:E841-7. 2010..We report the validation of a novel method for measuring intraskeletal sex hormones. Our findings demonstrate that the intraskeletal sex steroid reservoirs are modifiable and only partially influenced by circulating sex hormones...
- Musculoskeletal and prostate effects of combined testosterone and finasteride administration in older hypogonadal men: a randomized, controlled trialStephen E Borst
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 306:E433-42. 2014..These results demonstrate that elevated DHT mediates testosterone-induced prostate enlargement but is not required for benefits in musculoskeletal or adipose tissue. ..
- Growth hormone responses to acute resistance exercise with vascular restriction in young and old menTodd M Manini
University of Florida, Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, Gainesville, USA
Growth Horm IGF Res 22:167-72. 2012..We hypothesized that low-load RE with vascular restriction would attenuate the known age-related reduction in GH response to RE...
- Symptomatic and functional responses to concentric-eccentric isokinetic versus eccentric-only isotonic exerciseJeffrey J Parr
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 8206, USA
J Athl Train 44:462-8. 2009..The mode of eccentric exercise (isokinetic versus isotonic) may be an important factor in limiting symptoms of delayed-onset muscle soreness and in improving muscle function after training...
- Testosterone dose dependently prevents bone and muscle loss in rodents after spinal cord injuryJoshua F Yarrow
1 VA Medical Center, Research Service, VA Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
J Neurotrauma 31:834-45. 2014..Testosterone-induced prostate enlargement, however, represents a potential barrier to the clinical implementation of high-dose TE as a means of preserving musculoskeletal tissue after SCI...
- Growth hormone isoform responses to GABA ingestion at rest and after exerciseMichael E Powers
Division of Athletic Training, Shenendoah University, Winchester, VA 22601, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:104-10. 2008..Oral administration of the amino acid/inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) reportedly elevates resting serum growth hormone (GH) concentrations...