Joshua F Yarrow
Affiliation: University of Florida
- Training augments resistance exercise induced elevation of circulating brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)Joshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center GRECC, Gainesville, FL 32608, United States
Neurosci Lett 479:161-5. 2010....
- Neuroendocrine responses to an acute bout of eccentric-enhanced resistance exerciseJoshua F Yarrow
University of Florida, Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Center for Exercise Science, Gainesville, FL 32611 8206, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:941-7. 2007....
- Invalidation of a commercially available human 5α-dihydrotestosterone immunoassayJoshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608, United States Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, United States Electronic address
Steroids 78:1220-5. 2013..The cross-reactivity of testosterone is particularly concerning because testsoterone is present in 100-fold greater concentrations than is DHT within the circulation...
- A rehabilitation exercise program induces severe bone mineral deficits in estrogen-deficient rats after extended disuseJoshua F Yarrow
1VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32607, USA
Menopause 19:1267-76. 2012..The aim of this study was to determine whether estradiol (E2) influences early-phase bone adaptations to reambulation (REAMB) and/or rehabilitation exercises after hindlimb unloading (HLU) of ovariectomized rats...
- Influence of androgens on circulating adiponectin in male and female rodentsJoshua F Yarrow
Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, FL, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e47315. 2012....
- Intracrine and myotrophic roles of 5α-reductase and androgens: a reviewJoshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 44:818-26. 2012..The intramuscular expression of these enzymes suggests that skeletal muscle is capable of synthesizing bioactive androgens, which could induce myotrophic effects via intracrine action...
- 17β-Hydroxyestra-4,9,11-trien-3-one (trenbolone) exhibits tissue selective anabolic activity: effects on muscle, bone, adiposity, hemoglobin, and prostateJoshua F Yarrow
VA Medical Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32608 1197, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 300:E650-60. 2011..Our findings indicate that TREN has advantages over supraphysiological testosterone and supports the need for future preclinical studies examining the viability of TREN as an option for androgen replacement therapy...
- Tissue selectivity and potential clinical applications of trenbolone (17beta-hydroxyestra-4,9,11-trien-3-one): A potent anabolic steroid with reduced androgenic and estrogenic activityJoshua F Yarrow
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608, United States
Steroids 75:377-89. 2010....
- Early-phase neuroendocrine responses and strength adaptations following eccentric-enhanced resistance trainingJoshua F Yarrow
Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Center for Exercise Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Strength Cond Res 22:1205-14. 2008..In conclusion, TRAD training and ECC+ training appear to result in similar muscular strength adaptations and neuroendocrine responses, while postexercise lactate clearance is enhanced following ECC+ training...
- The effects of short-term alpha-ketoisocaproic acid supplementation on exercise performance: a randomized controlled trialJoshua F Yarrow
University of Florida, Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Center for Exercise Science, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Int Soc Sports Nutr 4:2. 2007..abstract:..
- 17β-Hydroxyestra-4,9,11-trien-3-one (Trenbolone) preserves bone mineral density in skeletally mature orchiectomized rats without prostate enlargementSean C McCoy
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Bone 51:667-73. 2012..These findings indicate that TREN may be an advantageous agent for future clinical trials evaluating agents capable of preventing bone loss resulting from androgen deficiency...
- Supraphysiological testosterone enanthate administration prevents bone loss and augments bone strength in gonadectomized male and female ratsJoshua F Yarrow
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1213-22. 2008..In conclusion, TE administration appears protective of cancellous bone in male rats and augments cortical bone strength in both sexes...
- Methods to quantify sex steroid hormones in bone: applications to the study of androgen ablation and administrationJoshua F Yarrow
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 299:E841-7. 2010..We report the validation of a novel method for measuring intraskeletal sex hormones. Our findings demonstrate that the intraskeletal sex steroid reservoirs are modifiable and only partially influenced by circulating sex hormones...
- Musculoskeletal and prostate effects of combined testosterone and finasteride administration in older hypogonadal men: a randomized, controlled trialStephen E Borst
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 306:E433-42. 2014..These results demonstrate that elevated DHT mediates testosterone-induced prostate enlargement but is not required for benefits in musculoskeletal or adipose tissue. ..
- Influence of aromatase inhibition on the bone-protective effects of testosteroneDarren T Beck
Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center, Gainesville, FL, USA Department of Kinesiology, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, USA
J Bone Miner Res 29:2405-13. 2014..AN co-administration did not alter androgen-induced effects on muscle or fat. In conclusion, androgens are able to induce direct effects on musculoskeletal and adipose tissue, independent of aromatase activity...
- Cognitive effects of testosterone and finasteride administration in older hypogonadal menStephen E Borst
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Gainesville Florida
Clin Interv Aging 9:1327-33. 2014..In total, major improvements in cognition were not observed either with testosterone or finasteride. Further studies are warranted to determine if testosterone replacement may improve cognition in other domains...
- Cardiovascular risks and elevation of serum DHT vary by route of testosterone administration: a systematic review and meta-analysisStephen E Borst
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Malcom Randall VA Medical Center, 1601 SW Archer Rd, Gainesville 32605 1197, FL, USA
BMC Med 12:211. 2014..Potential cardiovascular (CV) risks of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) are currently a topic of intense interest. However, no studies have addressed CV risk as a function of the route of administration of TRT...
- Transcriptional regulation of myotrophic actions by testosterone and trenbolone on androgen-responsive muscleFan Ye
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Medical Center, Gainesville, FL, United States Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, United States Electronic address
Steroids 87:59-66. 2014..In addition, testosterone increased WISP-2 protein levels. Together, these findings identify specific mechanisms by which testosterone and trenbolone may regulate skeletal muscle maintenance and growth. ..
- Growth hormone responses to acute resistance exercise with vascular restriction in young and old menTodd M Manini
University of Florida, Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, Gainesville, USA
Growth Horm IGF Res 22:167-72. 2012..We hypothesized that low-load RE with vascular restriction would attenuate the known age-related reduction in GH response to RE...
- Symptomatic and functional responses to concentric-eccentric isokinetic versus eccentric-only isotonic exerciseJeffrey J Parr
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 8206, USA
J Athl Train 44:462-8. 2009..The mode of eccentric exercise (isokinetic versus isotonic) may be an important factor in limiting symptoms of delayed-onset muscle soreness and in improving muscle function after training...
- Testosterone dose dependently prevents bone and muscle loss in rodents after spinal cord injuryJoshua F Yarrow
1 VA Medical Center, Research Service, VA Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
J Neurotrauma 31:834-45. 2014..Testosterone-induced prostate enlargement, however, represents a potential barrier to the clinical implementation of high-dose TE as a means of preserving musculoskeletal tissue after SCI...
- Growth hormone isoform responses to GABA ingestion at rest and after exerciseMichael E Powers
Division of Athletic Training, Shenendoah University, Winchester, VA 22601, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:104-10. 2008..Oral administration of the amino acid/inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) reportedly elevates resting serum growth hormone (GH) concentrations...