Donna M Wolk
Affiliation: University of Arizona
- PCR-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry: the potential to change infectious disease diagnostics in clinical and public health laboratoriesDonna M Wolk
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Department of Pathology BIO5 Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Mol Diagn 14:295-304. 2012..This review considers the breadth of the published literature and explores the possibilities, advantages, and limitations for implementation of PCR-ESI/MS in diagnostic laboratories...
- Multicenter evaluation of the Cepheid Xpert methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) test as a rapid screening method for detection of MRSA in naresD M Wolk
The University of Arizona BIO5 Institute, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5059, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:758-64. 2009..From this large-scale, multicenter clinical comparison, we conclude that the Xpert MRSA assay is a simple, rapid, and accurate method for performing active surveillance for MRSA in a variety of health care populations...
- Rapid detection of Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) in wound specimens and blood cultures: multicenter preclinical evaluation of the Cepheid Xpert MRSA/SA skin and soft tissue and blood culture assaysD M Wolk
University of Arizona BIO5 Institute, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5059, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:823-6. 2009..aureus. Sensitivity was 97.1% and 98.3% for MRSA in wound and blood culture specimens, respectively. Sensitivity was 100% for S. aureus from both specimen types...
- Pathogen profiling: rapid molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus by PCR/electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry and correlation with phenotypeDonna M Wolk
University of Arizona, BIO5 Institute, Department of Pathology, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 5059, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:3129-37. 2009..The high-throughput PCR/ESI-MS assay should improve clinical management of staphylococcal infections...
- Comparison of MRSASelect Agar, CHROMagar Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) Medium, and Xpert MRSA PCR for detection of MRSA in Nares: diagnostic accuracy for surveillance samples with various bacterial densitiesD M Wolk
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:3933-6. 2009..In this active-surveillance convenience sample, the use of broth enrichment followed by subculture to MS offered a low-cost but sensitive method for MRSA screening, with performance similar to that of Xpert MRSA PCR...
- Comparative analysis of PCR-electrospray ionization/mass spectrometry (MS) and MALDI-TOF/MS for the identification of bacteria and yeast from positive blood culture bottlesErin J Kaleta
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Clin Chem 57:1057-67. 2011..A positive challenge set of blood culture bottles was used to compare PCR-ESI/MS and MALDI-TOF/MS performance on a matched set of samples...
- Use of PCR coupled with electrospray ionization mass spectrometry for rapid identification of bacterial and yeast bloodstream pathogens from blood culture bottlesErin J Kaleta
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5059, USA
J Clin Microbiol 49:345-53. 2011....
- Diagnostic accuracy of the Cepheid GeneXpert vanA/vanB assay ver. 1.0 to detect the vanA and vanB vancomycin resistance genes in Enterococcus from perianal specimensErin S Marner
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5059, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 69:382-9. 2011..In summary, the GeneXpert vanA/vanB assay is a rapid and accurate method to identify vanA/vanB-colonized patients for VRE screening programs that use perianal swab specimens...
- Diabetic foot infections: A need for innovative assessmentsTimothy K Fisher
University of Arizona, Tucson, 85724, USA
Int J Low Extrem Wounds 9:31-6. 2010..Adopting these advances in diagnosis and treatment may help with overall prognosis and reduce health care costs...
- Laboratory diagnosis of viral hepatitisD M Wolk
Molecular Diagnostic Laboratories, Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, Department of Pathology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 15:1109-26. 2001..Both qualitative and quantitative molecular assays are available, and their efficient use requires familiarity with the sensitivity and dynamic ranges of each method...