Drew J Winston
Affiliation: University of California
- Elimination of Aspergillus infection in allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients with long-term itraconazole prophylaxis: prevention is better than treatmentDrew J Winston
Blood 104:1581; author reply 1582. 2004
- Maribavir prophylaxis for prevention of cytomegalovirus disease in recipients of allogeneic stem-cell transplants: a phase 3, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised trialFrancisco M Marty
Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 11:284-92. 2011..We assessed the safety, tolerability, and antiviral activity of oral maribavir in such patients...
- Efficacy and safety of maribavir dosed at 100 mg orally twice daily for the prevention of cytomegalovirus disease in liver transplant recipients: a randomized, double-blind, multicenter controlled trialD J Winston
Department of Medicine, UCLA Center for the Health Sciences, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Transplant 12:3021-30. 2012..At a dose of 100 mg twice daily, maribavir is safe but not adequate for prevention of CMV disease in liver transplant recipients at high risk for CMV disease...
- Maribavir prophylaxis for prevention of cytomegalovirus infection in allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studyDrew J Winston
University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Blood 111:5403-10. 2008..Maribavir had no adverse effect on neutrophil or platelet counts. These results show that maribavir can reduce the incidence of CMV infection and, unlike ganciclovir, does not cause myelosuppression...
- Efficacy, safety, and breakthrough infections associated with standard long-term posaconazole antifungal prophylaxis in allogeneic stem cell transplantation recipientsDrew J Winston
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 17:507-15. 2011..Thus, strategies to improve posaconazole exposure, including the use of higher doses, administration with an acidic beverage, and restriction of proton pump inhibitors, need to be considered when using prophylactic posaconazole...
- Randomized controlled trial of sequential intravenous and oral ganciclovir versus prolonged intravenous ganciclovir for long-term prophylaxis of cytomegalovirus disease in high-risk cytomegalovirus-seronegative liver transplant recipients with cytomegalovDrew J Winston
Department of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Transplantation 77:305-8. 2004....
- Intravenous and oral itraconazole versus intravenous and oral fluconazole for long-term antifungal prophylaxis in allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplant recipients. A multicenter, randomized trialDrew J Winston
Department of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, Room 42 121 CHS, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:705-13. 2003..Because of concerns about fungal resistance with fluconazole and toxicity with amphotericin B, alternative prophylactic regimens have become necessary...
- Randomized comparison of oral valacyclovir and intravenous ganciclovir for prevention of cytomegalovirus disease after allogeneic bone marrow transplantationDrew J Winston
University of California, Center for the Health Sciences, Los Angeles, USA
Clin Infect Dis 36:749-58. 2003..943; 95% CI, 0.176-21.44; P=.588). Oral valacyclovir can be an effective alternative to intravenous ganciclovir for prophylaxis of CMV disease after bone marrow transplantation...
- Pharmacokinetics of ganciclovir after oral valganciclovir versus intravenous ganciclovir in allogeneic stem cell transplant patients with graft-versus-host disease of the gastrointestinal tractDrew J Winston
Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90095, and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:635-40. 2006..48%-118.02%). Oral valganciclovir could be a useful alternative to intravenous ganciclovir in certain stable stem cell transplant patients who require prophylaxis or preemptive therapy for cytomegalovirus infection...
- Randomized controlled trial of oral ganciclovir versus oral acyclovir after induction with intravenous ganciclovir for long-term prophylaxis of cytomegalovirus disease in cytomegalovirus-seropositive liver transplant recipientsDrew J Winston
Division of Hematology-Oncology, Department of Medicine, and the Dumont-UCLA Transplant Center, Department of Surgery, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Transplantation 75:229-33. 2003..This superior protection against CMV disease extends up to 1 year after transplantation and is not associated with ganciclovir resistance...
- Treatment of Scedosporium apiospermum brain abscesses with posaconazoleIngo K Mellinghoff
Division of Hematology-Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, 90095, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1648-50. 2002..The infection progressed despite neurosurgical drainage and treatment with itraconazole, amphotericin B, and ketoconazole, but the brain abscesses completely resolved after treatment with posaconazole alone...
- Posaconazole vs. fluconazole or itraconazole prophylaxis in patients with neutropeniaOliver A Cornely
University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
N Engl J Med 356:348-59. 2007..Patients with neutropenia resulting from chemotherapy for acute myelogenous leukemia or the myelodysplastic syndrome are at high risk for difficult-to-treat and often fatal invasive fungal infections...
- [Antifungal prophylaxis in allogenic hematopoietic stem-cell transplant recipients]Yuzuru Kanakura
Jpn J Antibiot 57:421-4. 2004
- Randomized controlled trial of oral itraconazole solution versus intravenous/oral fluconazole for prevention of fungal infections in liver transplant recipientsDrew J Winston
Transplantation 74:688-95. 2002..Except for gastrointestinal side effects, oral itraconazole solution is well tolerated and has no significant hepatotoxicity...
- Voriconazole compared with liposomal amphotericin B for empirical antifungal therapy in patients with neutropenia and persistent feverThomas J Walsh
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 346:225-34. 2002..17) but by two days in patients at high risk (P=0.03). CONCLUSIONS: Voriconazole is a suitable alternative to amphotericin B preparations for empirical antifungal therapy in patients with neutropenia and persistent fever...