Alex C C Wilson
Affiliation: University of Arizona
- A dual-genome microarray for the pea aphid, Acyrthosiphon pisum, and its obligate bacterial symbiont, Buchnera aphidicolaAlex C C Wilson
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
BMC Genomics 7:50. 2006..Development of this dual-genome array represents a first attempt to characterize gene expression in this emerging model system...
- Microsatellites reveal male recombination and neo-sex chromosome formation in Scaptodrosophila hibisci (Drosophilidae)Alex C C Wilson
Center for Insect Science, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Genet Res 87:33-43. 2006..Male recombination was observed in three families, including autosomal linkage groups and the Y1/X2 linkage group. In addition to the X1 linkage group, two autosomal linkage groups were identified...
- Aphid thermal tolerance is governed by a point mutation in bacterial symbiontsHelen E Dunbar
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e96. 2007..Other cases in which symbiont microevolution has a major effect on host ecological tolerance are likely to be widespread because of the high mutation rates of symbiotic bacteria and their crucial roles in host metabolism and development...
- Lack of detectable genetic recombination on the X chromosome during the parthenogenetic production of female and male aphidsF Dinah Hales
Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, NSW, Australia
Genet Res 79:203-9. 2002..Our results show no departure from clonality in parthenogenetic generations of aphids of the tribe Macrosiphini: no recombinant genotypes were observed in parthenogenetically produced males or females...
- The genetic outcomes of sex and recombination in long-term functionally parthenogenetic lineages of Australian Sitobion aphidsAlex C C Wilson
Division of Botany and Zoology, Australian National University, ACT 0200 Australia
Genet Res 87:175-85. 2006..The mechanisms underlying these patterns are not clear. We discuss several possible alternatives, including mutation accumulation during periods of functional asexuality and genetic imprinting...
- Genomic resources for Myzus persicae: EST sequencing, SNP identification, and microarray designJohn S Ramsey
Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research, Tower Road, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
BMC Genomics 8:423. 2007..However, despite the significant damage inflicted by M. persicae in agricultural systems through direct feeding damage and by its ability to transmit plant viruses, limited genomic information is available for this species...
- Segregation of autosomes during spermatogenesis in the peach-potato aphid (Myzus persicae) (Sulzer) (Hemiptera: Aphididae)Dinah F Hales
Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
Genet Res 79:119-27. 2002..However, in androcyclic clones, segregation distortions consistently involved the same two autosomes. This is consistent with linkage of markers to deleterious mutations associated with a loss of sexual reproduction...