Affiliation: University of South Carolina
- The effectiveness and costs of comprehensive geriatric evaluation and managementDarryl Wieland
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, 9 Medical Park, 630, Columbia, SC 29204, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 48:227-37. 2003..Despite the attention given to these questions in recent years, there is still much room for clinical and scientific advance as we move to better understand what CGA interventions do well and in whom...
- Does Medicaid pay more to a program of all-inclusive care for the elderly (PACE) than for fee-for-service long-term care?Darryl Wieland
Division of Geriatrics Services, Palmetto Health Richland, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 68:47-55. 2013..We test whether Medicaid payments to PACE are lower than predicted fee-for-service outlays in a long-term care admission cohort...
- Five-year survival in a Program of All-inclusive Care for Elderly compared with alternative institutional and home- and community-based careDarryl Wieland
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65:721-6. 2010..Despite emerging alternatives, little is known about their comparative effectiveness...
- Does it stick? Effects of an integrated vertical undergraduate aging curriculum on medical and surgical residentsDarryl Wieland
Division of Geriatrics Services, Palmetto Health Richland, Columbia, South Carolina, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:132-8. 2008..001). Implications of this and other findings are discussed...
- From bedside to bench: research in comorbidity and agingG Darryl Wieland
Geriatric Services Department, Palmetto Health Richland Hospital, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
Sci Aging Knowledge Environ 2005:pe29. 2005..This Perspective provides a brief overview of these developments...
- Comprehensive geriatric assessmentDarryl Wieland
Department of Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia 29204, USA
Cancer Control 10:454-62. 2003..The principal areas of focus of the CGA include the patient's functional, physical, mental, emotional, pharmacotherapeutic, and socioeconomic status...
- Assessing geriatrics in undergraduate medical education: two different approachesG Paul Eleazer
Department of Internal Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, 15 RMP Suite 211, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 24:1-8. 2004..These two approaches appear to be complementary. Medical educators may find both self-report and course objective analysis to be useful and complementary in tracking geriatric material in the undergraduate medical curriculum...
- Preparing medical students to care for older adults: the impact of a Senior Mentor ProgramG Paul Eleazer
Division of Geriatrics, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, 15 Medical Park, Suite 211, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Acad Med 81:393-8. 2006..To provide alternative training experiences for medical students to improve the competencies needed to provide care for older adults...
- Geriatrics training and education for nongeriatrician faculty: the Dean's Faculty Scholars in Aging ProgramG Paul Eleazer
Geriatrics Division, School of Medicine, Universty of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29203, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1806-10. 2005..All scholars developed a geriatrics educational experience, and most implemented one. This suggests that scholars demonstrated successful progress in geriatrics training...
- Geriatric content in medical school curricula: results of a national surveyG Paul Eleazer
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, School of Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:136-40. 2005..Although limited, the results indicate that medical schools have increased coverage of aging-related material, although further expansion of geriatric content will be necessary to meet the needs of an aging society...
- The impact of the use of statins on the prevalence of dementia and the progression of cognitive impairmentIhab Hajjar
Palmetto Health Alliance University of South Carolina, Columbia 29203, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:M414-8. 2002..We decided to investigate the association between the use of statins and the prevalence of dementia and statins' impact on the progression of cognitive impairment...
- Use of a questionnaire to screen for frailty in the elderly: an exploratory studyMargaret Matthews
University of South Carolina School of Medicine Division of Geriatrics, Palmetto Health Alliance, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
Aging Clin Exp Res 16:34-40. 2004..The questionnaire, developed by Strawbridge et al. in 1998, defines frailty as difficulty in more than one of four domains of functioning: physical, cognitive, sensory, and nutritive...
- From Bedside to Bench: summary from the American Geriatrics Society/National Institute on Aging Research Conference on Comorbidity and Multiple Morbidity in Older AdultsCynthia M Boyd
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Aging Clin Exp Res 20:181-8. 2008..Next steps recommended include continuing clarification of terms and conceptual approaches, consideration of developing and improving measures, as well as developing new research directions...
- Non-verbal communication between primary care physicians and older patients: how does race matter?Irena Stepanikova
Department of Sociology, USC, Columbia, SC 20208, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:576-81. 2012..Non-verbal communication is an important aspect of the diagnostic and therapeutic process, especially with older patients. It is unknown how non-verbal communication varies with physician and patient race...
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal association between antihypertensive medications and cognitive impairment in an elderly populationIhab Hajjar
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Palmetto Health Richland, University of South Carolina, School of Medicine, Columbia, SC, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:67-73. 2005....
- The middle of the road: results from the aging semantic differential with four cohorts of medical studentsThomas J Stewart
Division of Geriatrics, School of Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29212, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1275-80. 2007..To explore the presence of negative stereotypical attitudes among medical students and the extent to which attitudes changed over time...
- Improving end-of-life care for older adults: an international challengeChristine S Ritchie
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:393-4. 2007