Justen B Whittall
Affiliation: University of California
- Convergence, constraint and the role of gene expression during adaptive radiation: floral anthocyanins in AquilegiaJusten B Whittall
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Mol Ecol 15:4645-57. 2006..These patterns support the hypothesis that rapid evolutionary change occurs largely through regulatory rather than structural mutations...
- Pollinator shifts drive increasingly long nectar spurs in columbine flowersJusten B Whittall
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Nature 447:706-9. 2007..These findings show that evolution may proceed in predictable pathways without reversals and that change may be concentrated during speciation...
- A survey of nuclear ribosomal internal transcribed spacer substitution rates across angiosperms: an approximate molecular clock with life history effectsKathleen M Kay
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, 166 Plant Biology Building, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
BMC Evol Biol 6:36. 2006..Here, we systematically review the literature to assess substitution rate variation in nrITS among angiosperms, and we evaluate possible correlates of the variation...
- Increased floral divergence in sympatric monkeyflowersDena L Grossenbacher
Department of Evolution and Ecology, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Evolution 65:2712-8. 2011..Potential mechanisms underlying this pattern include reinforcement and a stepping stone model of parapatric speciation...
- Generating single-copy nuclear gene data for a recent adaptive radiationJusten B Whittall
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 39:124-34. 2006..Overall, this method provides an efficient means of isolating predominantly single-copy loci from both low and high-copy gene families, providing ample nuclear variation for reconstructing species-level phylogenies in non-model taxa...
- Origins and consequences of serpentine endemism in the California floraBrian L Anacker
Department of Environmental Science and Policy, One Shields Avenue, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Evolution 65:365-76. 2011..Finally, endemics were younger on average than nonendemics, but this alone does not explain their low diversification...