E John Wherry
Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Bengsch B, Johnson A, Kurachi M, Odorizzi P, Pauken K, Attanasio J, et al. Bioenergetic Insufficiencies Due to Metabolic Alterations Regulated by the Inhibitory Receptor PD-1 Are an Early Driver of CD8(+) T Cell Exhaustion. Immunity. 2016;45:358-73 pubmed publisher..These data highlight a key metabolic control event early in exhaustion and suggest that manipulating glycolytic and mitochondrial metabolism might enhance checkpoint blockade outcomes. ..
- Crawford A, Angelosanto J, Kao C, Doering T, Odorizzi P, Barnett B, et al. Molecular and transcriptional basis of CD4? T cell dysfunction during chronic infection. Immunity. 2014;40:289-302 pubmed publisher..This study provides a framework for therapeutic interventions targeting exhausted CD4(+) T cells. ..
- Odorizzi P, Pauken K, Paley M, Sharpe A, Wherry E. Genetic absence of PD-1 promotes accumulation of terminally differentiated exhausted CD8+ T cells. J Exp Med. 2015;212:1125-37 pubmed publisher..They also highlight a novel role for PD-1 in preserving TEX cell populations from overstimulation, excessive proliferation, and terminal differentiation. ..
- Bengsch B, Ohtani T, Herati R, Bovenschen N, Chang K, Wherry E. Deep immune profiling by mass cytometry links human T and NK cell differentiation and cytotoxic molecule expression patterns. J Immunol Methods. 2018;453:3-10 pubmed publisher..Such comprehensive cytotoxic profiling may identify distinct patterns of cytotoxic potential relevant for specific infections, autoimmunity or tumor settings. ..
- Chen Z, Stelekati E, Kurachi M, Yu S, Cai Z, Manne S, et al. miR-150 Regulates Memory CD8 T Cell Differentiation via c-Myb. Cell Rep. 2017;20:2584-2597 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results identify a key role for miR-150 in memory CD8 T cells through a c-Myb-controlled enhanced survival circuit. ..