B J Whalen
Affiliation: University of Massachusetts Medical School
- BB rat thymocytes cultured in the presence of islets lose their ability to transfer autoimmune diabetesB J Whalen
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, USA
Diabetes 50:972-9. 2001..Exposure of ATOCs to exogenous islets may lead to deletion or anergy of diabetogenic T-cells or to the positive selection of regulatory T-cells...
- Recapitulation of normal and abnormal BioBreeding rat T cell development in adult thymus organ cultureB J Whalen
Diabetes Division, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA, USA
J Immunol 162:4003-12. 1999..Such cultures should facilitate identification of the underlying pathological processes that lead to immune dysfunction and autoimmunity in BB rats...
- Levels of Art2+ cells but not soluble Art2 protein correlate with expression of autoimmune diabetes in the BB ratR Bortel
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655, USA
Autoimmunity 33:199-211. 2001..The source of the soluble ART2 protein in the rat appeared to be the gut. The results suggest that ART2+ T cells and soluble ART2 protein may subserve different immunomodulatory functions...
- Fetal thymi from diabetes-prone but not diabetes-resistant BB/Wor rats fail to generate mature ART2+ T-cells in organ cultureD Zipris
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01605, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 47:65-74. 2001..The data demonstrate that BBDP thymocytes fail to generate mature ART2+ T-cells in rat FTOC, a system that can now be used to study the mechanism of this process...
- The BB rat as a model of human insulin-dependent diabetes mellitusB J Whalen
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Protoc Immunol . 2001..Support protocols are also given for diagnosis of insulitis, treatment of diabetic rats with insulin, and serological analysis of blood samples from sentinel rats to monitor the pathogen status of the colony...