Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Genome-wide association scan of dental caries in the permanent dentitionXiaojing Wang
Center for Craniofacial and Dental Genetics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 15219, USA
BMC Oral Health 12:57. 2012..Therefore, we conducted the first genome-wide association study (GWAS) to identify genes affecting susceptibility to caries in adults...
- Effects of smoking and genotype on the PSR index of periodontal disease in adults aged 18-49Deborah E Polk
Department of Dental Public Health and Information Management, University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 9:2839-50. 2012..Future studies should replicate these findings. These findings provide the foundation for the exploration of novel pathways by which periodontitis may occur...
- Heritable patterns of tooth decay in the permanent dentition: principal components and factor analysesJohn R Shaffer
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
BMC Oral Health 12:7. 2012..We used two methods to extract patterns of decay from surface-level caries data in order to generate novel phenotypes with which to explore the genetic regulation of caries...
- Use of 16S ribosomal RNA gene analyses to characterize the bacterial signature associated with poor oral health in West VirginiaJoan C Olson
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
BMC Oral Health 11:7. 2011..This pilot study explored the etiology of this disparity using culture-independent analyses to identify bacterial species associated with oral disease...
- Factors associated with parents' and adolescents' perceptions of oral health and need for dental treatmentRobert J Weyant
Department of Dental Public Health, Center for Oral Health Research in Appalachia, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 35:321-30. 2007..Additionally, the degree to which adolescent's and parent's perceptions of oral health and treatment need were related was examined...
- Periodontal disease and weight loss in older adultsRobert J Weyant
Department of Dental Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvannia 15261, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:547-53. 2004..To determine the association between periodontal disease and weight loss in an elderly cohort...
- Medical and cognitive correlates of denture wearing in older community-dwelling adultsRobert J Weyant
Department of Dental Public Health, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvannia 15261, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:596-600. 2004..To examine the association between denture wearing and use of dental services, oral function limitations, and medical and cognitive status in a community-based cohort of rural older adults enrolled in an epidemiological study...
- No evidence to support removal of asymptomatic impacted third molars in adolescents or adultsRobert Weyant
University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Evid Based Dent Pract 7:108-9. 2007
- Dental caries status and need for dental treatment of Pennsylvania public school children in grades 1, 3, 9, and 11Robert J Weyant
School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Public Health Dent 64:136-44. 2004....
- Report of recommendations from the National Dental Public Health Workshop, February 10-12, 2002, Bethesda, MDRobert J Weyant
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, 3501 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Public Health Dent 63:258-62. 2003..The recommendations have been placed into three categories: training, financing, and workforce development. Along with background and process summaries, these recommendations are reported here...
- Utilizing debates as an instructional tool for dental studentsRichard W Rubin
Department of Dental Public Health, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Dent Educ 72:282-7. 2008..Students reported that the debates enhanced their ability to organize and reinforce their thoughts on issues they may confront as dental professionals...
- Exploring dental students' perceptions of cultural competence and social responsibilityRichard W Rubin
Department of Dental Public Health, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 3501 Terrace Street Salk Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15261 1933, USA
J Dent Educ 72:1114-21. 2008..Overall, this study provides support for the addition of a non-dental community service-learning program into the preclinical curriculum...
- Socioeconomic factors in adolescents' oral health: are they mediated by oral hygiene behaviors or preventive interventions?Deborah E Polk
University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 38:1-9. 2010..e., DMFT) in an adolescent sample from Pennsylvania and to determine whether differences in oral hygiene behaviors and preventive interventions account for this disparity...
- Edentulism and nutritional status in a biracial sample of well-functioning, community-dwelling elderly: the health, aging, and body composition studyJung Sun Lee
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 79:295-302. 2004..Edentulism may affect dietary intake in older adults, but the relation between edentulism and nutritional status is not completely understood...
- Child neglect and oral health problems in offspring of substance-abusing fathersAda C Mezzich
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Am J Addict 16:397-402. 2007....
- Relationship of malocclusion severity and treatment fee to consumer's expectation of treatment outcomeJoseph Petrone
Graduate program director, Department of Orthodontics, The University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 124:41-5. 2003..Orthodontists should consider that consumers seeking their services have increased expectations not related to the treatment outcomes...
- Using biometrics for participant identification in a research study: a case reportPatricia M Corby
Division of Pediatric and Developmental Dental Sciences, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 3501 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:233-5. 2006..This case report provides insights that may serve as useful hints for those responsible for planning system implementation that involves participants' authentication that would require a more secure form of identification...
- Systemic inflammatory markers, periodontal diseases, and periodontal infections in an elderly populationWalter A Bretz
Division of Pediatric and Developmental Science, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1532-7. 2005..To study the levels of systemic markers for inflammation with parameters of periodontal diseases in older people...
- Dental abnormalities in children of fathers with substance use disordersJack R Cornelius
School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Addict Behav 29:979-82. 2004..The data from this study provide evidence that paternal SUDs (HAR vs. LAR status) is associated with poor dental condition, poor oral hygiene, a greater need for dental treatment, and inadequate levels of dental treatment utilization...
- Oral health disparities in Appalachia: orthodontic treatment need and demandChris A Martin
Department of Othodontics, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, Morgantown
J Am Dent Assoc 139:598-604; quiz 627. 2008..Significant oral health disparities affect people in West Virginia and elsewhere in Appalachia. Although oral diseases such as caries are a major problem, little is known about the occlusal status of this under-served group...
- Periodontitis and airway obstructionJames A Katancik
Department of Periodontology, University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Periodontol 76:2161-7. 2005..The objective of this study was to examine the relationship between airway obstruction and periodontal disease...
- Improving dental public health services through advancement of a workforce agendaRobert J Weyant
J Public Health Dent 66:3-4. 2006
- Demographic and prenatal factors of patients with cleft lip and cleft palate. A pilot studyShelly Abramowicz
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Florida College of Dentistry, Gainesville, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 134:1371-6. 2003..The authors conducted this pilot study to investigate a study design that could allow for an evaluation of such etiologic factors by providing the required estimate of the projected magnitude of differences between cases and controls...
- AAPHD 2002 Special Merit Award: Robert J. Weyant, DMD, DrPHRebecca S King
J Public Health Dent 62:228-9. 2002