Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Weiner J, Koo S, Nicolas S, Fraboulet S, Pfaff S, Pourquie O, et al. Axon fasciculation defects and retinal dysplasias in mice lacking the immunoglobulin superfamily adhesion molecule BEN/ALCAM/SC1. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;27:59-69 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate that BEN promotes fasciculation of multiple axonal populations and uncover an unexpected function for BEN in retinal histogenesis...
- Molumby M, Keeler A, Weiner J. Homophilic Protocadherin Cell-Cell Interactions Promote Dendrite Complexity. Cell Rep. 2016;15:1037-1050 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that ?-Pcdhs act locally to promote dendrite arborization via homophilic matching, and they confirm that connectivity in vivo depends on molecular interactions between neurons and between neurons and astrocytes. ..
- Keeler A, Schreiner D, Weiner J. Protein Kinase C Phosphorylation of a ?-Protocadherin C-terminal Lipid Binding Domain Regulates Focal Adhesion Kinase Inhibition and Dendrite Arborization. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:20674-86 pubmed publisher..Together, these data identify a novel mechanism through which ?-Pcdh control of a signaling pathway important for dendrite arborization is regulated. ..
- Bosch P, Fuller L, Sleeth C, Weiner J. Akirin2 is essential for the formation of the cerebral cortex. Neural Dev. 2016;11:21 pubmed....
- Molumby M, Anderson R, Newbold D, Koblesky N, Garrett A, Schreiner D, et al. Î³-Protocadherins Interact with Neuroligin-1 and Negatively Regulate Dendritic Spine Morphogenesis. Cell Rep. 2017;18:2702-2714 pubmed publisher..Together with prior work, these data identify a mechanism through which Î³-Pcdhs could coordinate dendrite arbor growth and complexity with spine maturation in the developing brain. ..
- Peek S, Mah K, Weiner J. Regulation of neural circuit formation by protocadherins. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:4133-4157 pubmed publisher..With recent structural modeling of Pcdh proteins, the prospects for uncovering molecular mechanisms of Pcdh extracellular and intracellular interactions, and their role in normal and disrupted neural circuit formation, are bright. ..
- Mah K, Weiner J. Regulation of Wnt signaling by protocadherins. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2017;69:158-171 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the extant data on the regulation by protocadherins of Wnt signaling pathways and components, and highlight some key unanswered questions that could shape future research. ..