Affiliation: University of Washington
- Evaluation of leptin levels in subjects at risk for type 1 diabetesLisa K Gilliam
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
J Autoimmun 26:133-7. 2006....
- Dietary n-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids and energy balance in overweight or moderately obese men and women: a randomized controlled trialMario Kratz
Department of Medicine, Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Nutr Metab (Lond) 6:24. 2009..abstract:..
- Defective dietary induction of uncoupling protein 3 in skeletal muscle of obesity-prone ratsD S Weigle
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
Obes Res 8:385-91. 2000....
- A high-protein diet induces sustained reductions in appetite, ad libitum caloric intake, and body weight despite compensatory changes in diurnal plasma leptin and ghrelin concentrationsDavid S Weigle
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 82:41-8. 2005..Ad libitum, low-carbohydrate diets decrease caloric intake and cause weight loss. It is unclear whether these effects are due to the reduced carbohydrate content of such diets or to their associated increase in protein intake...
- Pharmacological therapy of obesity: past, present, and futureDavid S Weigle
Endocrinology, University of Washington School of Medicine and Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2462-9. 2003
- Roles of leptin and ghrelin in the loss of body weight caused by a low fat, high carbohydrate dietDavid S Weigle
University of Washington School of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, and Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1577-86. 2003..Fat restriction avoids the increase in ghrelin levels caused by dietary energy restriction...
- Modified macronutrient diets and weight loss--are food choice and variety more important than caloric restriction?David S Weigle
Endocrinology, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 3:728-9. 2007
- Adaptation to altitude as a vehicle for experiential learning of physiology by university undergraduatesDavid S Weigle
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 31:270-8. 2007....
- Plasma C-reactive protein concentration is not affected by isocaloric dietary fat reductionMikhail S Koren
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Nutrition 22:444-8. 2006..17 +/- 2.03 mg/L (P = 0.03). CONCLUSION: Loss of body weight decreases CRP concentration, but a decrease in dietary fat without a concurrent change in body weight does not affect CRP concentration in overweight healthy subjects...
- Effect of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on plasma total and high-molecular-weight adiponectin concentrations in overweight to moderately obese men and womenMario Kratz
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:347-53. 2008..Recent studies indicated that dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) increase circulating adiponectin concentrations in rodents...
- Effects of exercise on metabolic risk variables in overweight postmenopausal women: a randomized clinical trialLaura Lewis Frank
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Cancer Prevention, Seattle, WA 98109-1024, USA
Obes Res 13:615-25. 2005..These results are promising for health care providers providing advice to postmenopausal women for lifestyle changes to reduce risk of insulin resistance, coronary heart disease, and diabetes...
- Insulin, C-peptide, and leptin concentrations predict increased visceral adiposity at 5- and 10-year follow-ups in nondiabetic Japanese AmericansJenny Tong
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, VA Puget Sound Health Care System and Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Diabetes 54:985-90. 2005....
- Plasma ghrelin levels after diet-induced weight loss or gastric bypass surgeryDavid E Cummings
Department of Medicine, University of Washington the Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle 98108, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1623-30. 2002..Because ghrelin is produced primarily by the stomach, weight loss after gastric bypass surgery may be accompanied by impaired ghrelin secretion...
- Elevated plasma ghrelin levels in Prader Willi syndromeDavid E Cummings
Department of Medicine, VA Puget Sound Health Care System and Harborview Medical Center University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Nat Med 8:643-4. 2002
- Frequent intentional weight loss is associated with higher ghrelin and lower glucose and androgen levels in postmenopausal womenLaura E Hooper
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, USA
Nutr Res 30:163-70. 2010..01). No independent associations between the concentrations of leptin or estrogens and weight cycling were observed. This study suggests that frequent intentional weight loss may affect hormones involved in energy regulation...
- Changes in plasma amino Acid levels do not predict satiety and weight loss on diets with modified macronutrient compositionMikhail S Koren
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Wash, USA
Ann Nutr Metab 51:182-7. 2007..We examined whether high-carbohydrate or high-protein diets induce satiety and weight loss by altering plasma concentrations of these amino acids...
- Effect of aging on the response of ghrelin to acute weight lossMichi Yukawa
Department of Medicine, Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:648-53. 2006..To determine whether the failure of the orexigenic hormone ghrelin to increase as it normally does with weight loss contributes to impaired weight recovery in older persons...
- Leptin levels are appropriate for body mass index in older men who experience involuntary weight lossMichi Yukawa
Divisions of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine and Endocrinology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1566-71. 2002..To determine the relationship between leptin and unintentional weight loss in older adults...
- Peripheral ghrelin treatment stabilizes body weights of senescent male Brown Norway rats at baseline and after surgeryMichi Yukawa
Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1453-60. 2008....
- Postprandial suppression of plasma ghrelin level is proportional to ingested caloric load but does not predict intermeal interval in humansHolly S Callahan
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1319-24. 2004..We conclude that the depth of postprandial ghrelin suppression is proportional to ingested caloric load but that recovery of plasma ghrelin is not a critical determinant of intermeal interval...
- Exchanging carbohydrate or protein for fat improves lipid-related cardiovascular risk profile in overweight men and women when consumed ad libitumMario Kratz
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Investig Med 58:711-9. 2010..The impact of low-fat diets on the plasma lipoprotein profile is incompletely understood...
- Serum leptin concentrations and markers of immune function in overweight or obese postmenopausal womenJulie A Meyers
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Endocrinol 199:51-60. 2008..Our study does not support a link between leptin and other immune parameters among overweight or obese, but otherwise healthy postmenopausal women, perhaps because such effects are only present at low or deficient leptin concentrations...
- Reduced adipogenic gene expression in thigh adipose tissue precedes human immunodeficiency virus-associated lipoatrophyMario Kratz
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:959-66. 2008..The expression of adipogenic genes in sc adipose tissue has been reported to be lower among patients with HIV-associated lipoatrophy than HIV-uninfected controls. It is unclear whether this is a result or cause of lipoatrophy...
- Absence of hypersensitivity to glucocorticoids in antiretroviral-associated lipodystrophyIan P Martin
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Obes Res 11:21-4. 2003....
- Energy balance in congenital generalized lipodystrophy type ISasha Taleban
General Clinical Research Center, University of Washington, USA
Metabolism 57:1155-61. 2008..Appetite-regulating hormone levels in CGL-1 suggest that multiple factors act to control appetite in these individuals...
- The obesity epidemic: pharmacological challengesStephen R Bloom
Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College, London, UK W120NN
Mol Interv 8:82-98. 2008..These high rates have led to dramatic increases in diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular and respiratory diseases, depression, and some forms of cancer...
- Ghrelin levels correlate with insulin levels, insulin resistance, and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, but not with gender, menopausal status, or cortisol levels in humansJonathan Q Purnell
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Clinical Nutrition, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5747-52. 2003..Our data are consistent with the hypotheses that insulin may negatively regulate ghrelin and that high-density lipoprotein may be a carrier particle for circulating ghrelin...
- Circulating ghrelin levels are suppressed by meals and octreotide therapy in children with Prader-Willi syndromeAndrea M Haqq
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3573-6. 2003..Further investigation is warranted to determine whether long-term octreotide treatment causes sustained ghrelin suppression, changes eating behavior, and induces weight loss in this population...
- METABOLIC CONSEQUENCES OF ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPYDAVID WEIGLE; Fiscal Year: 2003..Future trials of these medications, along with a great deal more basic research, are clearly justified by the increasing and sustained use of HAART to deal with the worldwide epidemic of HIV infection. ..
- STUDIES OF REGIONAL FAT DISTRIBUTION AND ENERGY BALANCEDAVID WEIGLE; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicant has successfully trained several young physician investigators in patient-oriented and basic research, and a plan to continue doing so is presented. ..