Affiliation: University of Colorado
- Quantitative trait locus analysis of contextual fear conditioning in miceJ M Wehner
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder 80309, USA
Nat Genet 17:331-4. 1997..QTLs for conditioning to the auditory cue (lod score > 4.3) were localized to chromosomes 1 and 10. Suggestive QTLs (lod score = 2.8-4.1) for contextual conditioning were detected on chromosomes 1, 2 and 3...
- Microarray analysis of the effects of a gamma-protein kinase C null mutation on gene expression in striatum: a role for transthyretin in mutant phenotypesAmy M Smith
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, 447, UCB, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Behav Genet 36:869-81. 2006..Ethanol treatment of mutants reversed the dramatic increase in transthyretin expression seen in naïve and control-diet treated mutants, but did not affect transthyretin expression in wild types...
- The human protein kinase C gamma gene (PRKCG) as a susceptibility locus for behavioral disinhibitionIsabel R Schlaepfer
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA, and Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Addict Biol 12:200-9. 2007..This study provides the first exploration of the PRKCG gene and its association with behavioral disinhibition and warrants further study in other larger population samples...
- Microarray analysis identifies cerebellar genes sensitive to chronic ethanol treatment in PKCgamma miceBarbara J Bowers
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, 447 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Alcohol 40:19-33. 2006..2 and Th, were found to be sensitive to chronic ethanol and were added to the transcription factors, JunB and Nur77, confirmed by qRT-PCR, as a subset of genes that respond to chronic ethanol...
- Regulation of 5-HT2A/C receptors and DOI-induced behaviors by protein kinase CgammaBarbara J Bowers
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 85:441-7. 2006..These data support a role for 5-HT(2A/C) receptors in the PFC in mediating some of the behavioral differences observed between PKCgamma mutant and wild-type mice...
- Performance of alpha7 nicotinic receptor null mutants is impaired in appetitive learning measured in a signaled nose poke taskJason J Keller
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, 447 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Behav Brain Res 162:143-52. 2005..These results support a role of the alpha7 nicotinic receptor in mediating appetitive learning and suggest a potential role for the alpha7 nAChRs in the regulation of behavioral disinhibition...
- Deletion of the alpha7 nicotinic receptor subunit gene results in increased sensitivity to several behavioral effects produced by alcoholBarbara J Bowers
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado at Boulder, 447 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:295-302. 2005..The studies outlined here used alpha7 gene knockout (null mutant) mice to evaluate the potential role of alpha7 nAChRs in modulating selected behavioral and physiological effects produced by ethanol...
- Alpha 4 beta 2* nicotinic acetylcholine receptors modulate the effects of ethanol and nicotine on the acoustic startle responseJeremy C Owens
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder 80309 0447, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1867-75. 2003..Ethanol also alters the acoustic startle response. Thus, we evaluated the potential role of alpha4beta2 nAChRs in modulating ethanol's effects on acoustic startle...
- Acetylcholine-stimulated [3H]GABA release from mouse brain synaptosomes is modulated by alpha4beta2 and alpha4alpha5beta2 nicotinic receptor subtypesTristan D McClure-Begley
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0447, USA
Mol Pharmacol 75:918-26. 2009....
- Inbred mouse strain differences in the establishment of long-term fear memorySeth A Balogh
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, 447 UCB, Boulder 80309 0447, USA
Behav Brain Res 140:97-106. 2003..The utility of the 14-day hyper responsiveness phenotype as a potential model for fear-related psychopathology is also discussed...
- Cued and contextual fear conditioning in miceJeanne M Wehner
University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA
Curr Protoc Neurosci . 2004..Clinically, it is has relevance to human behavior in that fear conditioning can be produced in humans, and damage to the amygdala prevents fear conditioning...
- Aniracetam improves contextual fear conditioning and increases hippocampal gamma-PKC activation in DBA/2J miceAmy M Smith
Institute for Behavioral Genetics and Department of Psychology, University of Colorado, Boulder 80309, USA
Hippocampus 12:76-85. 2002..No increase in learning or gamma-PKC was found 5 min after training. These results suggest an altered time course of activation of gamma-PKC in response to treatment with aniracetam, which improves learning in D2 mice...
- Contextual and cued fear conditioning in C57BL/6J and DBA/2J mice: context discrimination and the effects of retention intervalSeth A Balogh
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado at Boulder, 80309 0447, USA
Behav Neurosci 116:947-57. 2002..The acoustic startle response in B6 mice was also enhanced at 14 days after training. D2 mice did not show this pattern of generalized freezing. B6, but not D2, mice retained contextual memories for at least 60 days...
- Animal models as a tool for studying mechanisms of co-abuse of alcohol and tobaccoSeth A Balogh
University of Colorado, Institute for Behavioral Genetics, Boulder 80309 0447, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:1911-4. 2002
- Gene expression in brain: a window on ethanol dependence, neuroadaptation, and preferencePaula L Hoffman
Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:155-68. 2003..Gene expression profiling related to initial sensitivity and tolerance in gamma-protein kinase C mutants, by Jeanne Wehner; and (6) Gene expression patterns in human alcoholic brain: from microarrays to protein profiles, by Joanne ..
- The pathophysiology of traumatic brain injury in alpha7 nicotinic cholinergic receptor knockout miceMatthew L Kelso
College of Pharmacy, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Brain Res 1083:204-10. 2006..However, when null mutant mice develop in the absence of central alpha7 expression, it is possible that compensatory changes occur that confound the results obtained...
- Decreased anxiety-like behavior in beta3 nicotinic receptor subunit knockout miceT K Booker
Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037 USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 87:146-57. 2007..These findings strongly suggest that beta3-containing nicotinic receptors influence anxiety and may be critical for the continuation of smoking behaviors...
- Ethanol differentially enhances hippocampal GABA A receptor-mediated responses in protein kinase C gamma (PKC gamma) and PKC epsilon null miceW R Proctor
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Research Service, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 305:264-70. 2003..These results suggest that PKCgamma and PKCepsilon signaling pathways reciprocally modulate both ethanol enhancement of GABA(A) receptor function and hypnotic sensitivity to ethanol...
- Hypersensitive knockin mouse strains identify receptors and pathways for nicotine actionHenry A Lester
California Institute of Technology, Division of Biology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel 6:633-9. 2003..These strains are helping to define the occurrence of these important receptor subtypes, and their role in the acute and chronic actions of nicotine. The hypersensitive strains may be useful for the development of nicotinic drug therapy...
- Guidelines on nicotine dose selection for in vivo researchShannon G Matta
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 874 Union Avenue, Crowe 115, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 190:269-319. 2007..In many cases, such discrepancies could be attributed to the complex variables comprising species-specific in vivo responses to acute or chronic nicotine exposure...
- ETHANOLS ACTIONS IN GAMMA PKC NULL MUTANTSJEANNE WEHNER; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of these studies will establish whether y-PKC plays a role in the pharmacological actions of ethanol that underlie the determination of ethanol sensitivity and tolerance. ..
- QTL MAPPING OF COMPLEX LEARNING IN MICEJEANNE WEHNER; Fiscal Year: 2001..Studies of this form of learning are not only applicable to normal complex learning processes but also to certain psychopathologies like post-traumatic stress syndrome. ..
- Role of Nicotinic Receptors in Effects of AlcoholJEANNE WEHNER; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of these studies should provide a better understanding of the potential interactions and mechanisms underlying the co-administration of ethanol with nicotine. ..