Joel I Ward
Affiliation: University of California
- Bordetella Pertussis infections in vaccinated and unvaccinated adolescents and adults, as assessed in a national prospective randomized Acellular Pertussis Vaccine Trial (APERT)Joel I Ward
University of California Los Angeles UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, David Geffen School of Medicine UCLA, Torrance, California 90502 2502, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:151-7. 2006..Acellular pertussis (aP) booster immunizations have been recommended for adolescents and older persons to enhance long-term protection and to possibly reduce community transmission of infections...
- Efficacy of an acellular pertussis vaccine among adolescents and adultsJoel I Ward
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Torrance, Calif 90502, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1555-63. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: The acellular pertussis vaccine was protective among adolescents and adults, and its routine use might reduce the overall disease burden and transmission to children...
- Heptavalent pneumococcal vaccine conjugated to outer membrane protein of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup b and nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in infantsSylvia H Yeh
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, 1124 W Carson Street, Liu Research Building, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Vaccine 21:2627-31. 2003..Streptococcus pneumoniae (Sp) is an important bacterial pathogen in children. Nasopharyngeal (NP) colonization of S. pneumoniae is necessary for person-to-person transmission and often precedes invasive disease...
- Paralytic syndromes in children: epidemiology and relationship to vaccinationKenneth M Zangwill
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Pediatr Neurol 42:206-12. 2010....
- Evaluation of vaccine coverage for low birth weight infants during the first year of life in a large managed care populationJagmohan S Batra
Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Liu Research Building, 1124 W Carson St, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Pediatrics 123:951-8. 2009..This study assesses and compares age- and dose-specific immunization coverage in children of different birth weight categories during the first year of life...
- Prevalence of antibody to Bordetella pertussis antigens in serum specimens obtained from 1793 adolescents and adultsJames D Cherry
University of CaliforniaLos Angeles Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Torrance, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1715-8. 2004..There was minimal variation in antibody prevalence with respect to geographic area, age, sex, or race...
- Safety and immunogenicity of a heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in infantsKenneth M Zangwill
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Liu Research Building, 1124 W Carson Street, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Vaccine 21:1894-900. 2003....
- Evaluation of strategies for use of acellular pertussis vaccine in adolescents and adults: a cost-benefit analysisKenneth W Purdy
University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA) Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502-2502, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:20-8. 2004..A recommendation for booster vaccinations every 10 years requires more information about duration of immunity, program costs, compliance, and nonmedical costs associated with pertussis...
- Importance of new combination vaccinesJoel I Ward
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, UCLA School of Medicine, 1124 W. Carson Street RB3, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 43:503-4. 2004
- Lack of association between hepatitis B birth immunization and neonatal death: a population-based study from the vaccine safety datalink projectEileen M Eriksen
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:656-62. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: A relationship between HBV and neonatal death was not identified...
- Acellular pertussis vaccines and complement killing of Bordetella pertussisAlison A Weiss
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0524, USA
Infect Immun 72:7346-51. 2004..The responses of the other individuals were complex, with evidence of both beneficial and antagonistic responses occurring, sometimes in the same individual...
- Economic considerations for pertussis booster vaccination in adolescentsJoel W Hay
Department of Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:S127-33. 2005..These new vaccines for adolescents and adults are safe, immunogenic, and protective...
- Immune responses and antibody decay after immunization of adolescents and adults with an acellular pertussis vaccine: the APERT StudyThuan Le
UCLA Center for Vaccine Research, Research and Education Institute, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Torrance 90502, USA
J Infect Dis 190:535-44. 2004..These findings support the use of ACP booster immunizations for adolescents and adults, to provide sustained levels of antibody...
- Antibody-mediated neutralization of pertussis toxin-induced mitogenicity of human peripheral blood mononuclear cellsScott H Millen
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Infect Immun 72:615-20. 2004..the convalescent group had higher titers in the PBMC assay. Results for pertussis toxin neutralization with the CHO assay appear to be distinct from those with the PBMC assay...
- Polio extraimmunization in children younger than 2 years after changes in immunization recommendationsLoren K Mell
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, Washington, USA
Pediatrics 111:296-301. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Poliovirus extraimmunization rates have fallen dramatically in association with the change-over to the all inactivated polio virus schedule...
- Kinetics of maternal hepatitis a antibody decay in infants: implications for vaccine useJay M Lieberman
Miller Children s Hospital Long Beach, CA 90806, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:347-8. 2002..These data indicate that maternal antibody levels remained high through the first 6 months of life but decayed significantly by 12 months of age...