Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Differential regulation of ROMK (Kir1.1) in distal nephron segments by dietary potassiumJames B Wade
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 300:F1385-93. 2011....
- Differential renal distribution of NHERF isoforms and their colocalization with NHE3, ezrin, and ROMKJ B Wade
Department of Physiology, Division of Nephrology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 280:C192-8. 2001..The finding that NHERF isoforms occur in different cell types suggests that NHERF and NHERF2 may subserve different functions in the kidney...
- WNK1 kinase isoform switch regulates renal potassium excretionJames B Wade
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 655 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8558-63. 2006..1 activity involves a WNK1 isoform switch and KS-WNK1-mediated release from L-WNK1 inhibition. Thus, these observations provide evidence for the physiological regulation of Na(+) and K(+) balance by a kinase isoform switch mechanism...
- Localization and interaction of NHERF isoforms in the renal proximal tubule of the mouseJames B Wade
Dept of Physiology, 655 W, Baltimore St, Univ of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 285:C1494-503. 2003..These findings suggest that the organized subcellular distribution of the NHERF isoforms may play a role in the specific interactions mediating physiological control of transporter function...
- Ezrin binding domain-deficient NHERF attenuates cAMP-mediated inhibition of Na(+)/H(+) exchange in OK cellsE J Weinman
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 281:F374-80. 2001....
- Na+-H+ exchanger 3 (NHE3) is present in lipid rafts in the rabbit ileal brush border: a role for rafts in trafficking and rapid stimulation of NHE3X Li
Department of Medicine, GI Division, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205-2195, USA
J Physiol 537:537-52. 2001....
- UT-A2: a 55-kDa urea transporter in thin descending limb whose abundance is regulated by vasopressinJ B Wade
Department of Physiology, Univ. of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 278:F52-62. 2000..These results indicate that UT-A2 is expressed as a 55-kDa protein in portions of the thin descending limbs of Henle's loop and that the abundance of this protein is strongly upregulated by vasopressin...
- Regulation of the renal thiazide-sensitive Na-Cl cotransporter, blood pressure, and natriuresis in obese Zucker rats treated with rosiglitazoneOsman Khan
Department of Medicine, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057 1412, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F442-50. 2005..Decreased NCC activity may have contributed to the maintenance of normotension in RGZ-treated obese rats...
- Expression of TRPC4 channel protein that interacts with NHERF-2 in rat descending vasa rectaWhaseon Lee-Kwon
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Univ Maryland School of Medicine, N3W143, UMH, 22 S Greene St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C942-9. 2005..These findings suggest that TRPC4 and NHERF-2 may play a role in interactions related to Ca2+ signaling...
- Use of anti-fluorophore antibody to achieve high-sensitivity immunolocalizations of transporters and ion channelsRichard A Coleman
Physiology Department, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 54:817-27. 2006..In demonstration of the methods, we describe the localization of the thiazide-sensitive sodium/chloride cotransporter and the epithelial sodium channel in rat kidney...
- Basolateral membrane expression of the Kir 2.3 channel is coordinated by PDZ interaction with Lin-7/CASK complexOlav Olsen
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 282:C183-95. 2002..The discovery identifies one component of the sorting machinery and provides evidence for a retention mechanism in a hierarchical basolateral trafficking program...
- TIP-1 has PDZ scaffold antagonist activityChristine Alewine
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Mol Biol Cell 17:4200-11. 2006..3 channels lacking the PDZ-binding motif. TIP-1 is ubiquitously expressed, raising the possibility that TIP-1 may play a similar role in regulating the expression of other membrane proteins containing a type I PDZ ligand...
- NHERF-1 is required for renal adaptation to a low-phosphate dietEdward J Weinman
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Rm N3W143, UHM, 22 South Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 285:F1225-32. 2003..These experiments demonstrate that full renal adaptation to a low-phosphate diet requires NHERF-1, which serves to increase BBM expression of Npt2...
- Sodium-hydrogen exchanger regulatory factor-1 interacts with mouse urate transporter 1 to regulate renal proximal tubule uric acid transportRochelle Cunningham
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 22 S Greene St, N3W143, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:1419-25. 2007..These findings indicate that NHERF-1 exerts a significant effect on the renal tubular reabsorption of uric acid in the mouse by modulating the BBM abundance of mURAT1 and possibly other BBM uric acid transporters...
- Expression of NHERF-1, NHERF-2, PDGFR-alpha, and PDGFR-beta in normal human kidneys and in renal transplant rejectionEdward J Weinman
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Pathobiology 70:314-23. 2002..In renal transplant rejection, there is increased expression of both PDGFR subtypes consistent with a role for PDGF in injury or repair...
- Urine electrolyte, mineral, and protein excretion in NHERF-2 and NHERF-1 null miceRochelle Cunningham
Univ of Maryland School of Medicine, 22 S Greene St, N3W143, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 294:F1001-7. 2008....
- The role of NHERF-1 in the regulation of renal proximal tubule sodium-hydrogen exchanger 3 and sodium-dependent phosphate cotransporter 2aEdward J Weinman
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of Maryland, School of Medicine, 22, South Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
J Physiol 567:27-32. 2005..These studies indicate a unique requirement for NHERF-1 in cAMP regulation of NHE3 and in the trafficking of Npt2a...
- Impaired sodium excretion and increased blood pressure in mice with targeted deletion of renal epithelial insulin receptorSwasti Tiwari
Department of Medicine, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:6469-74. 2008..These results illuminate a previously uncharacterized role for renal IR to reduce BP and facilitate sodium and water excretion, possibly via NO production...
- Regulation of blood pressure, the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC), and other key renal sodium transporters by chronic insulin infusion in ratsJian Song
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Georgetown Univ, 4000 Reservoir Rd 233 NW, Washington, DC 20057 1412, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F1055-64. 2006..Overall, insulin infusion increased blood pressure, and NCC and ENaC activity in rats. Increased apical targeting of ENaC and decreased WNK4 expression may be involved...
- Expression, localization, and regulation of aquaporin-1 to -3 in rat urotheliaDavid A Spector
Division of Renal Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore 21224, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 282:F1034-42. 2002..AQPs in genitourinary tract urothelia likely play a role in the regulation of epithelial cell volume and osmolality and may play a role in bulk water movement across urothelia...
- Differential localization of mammalian Lin-7 (MALS/Veli) PDZ proteins in the kidneyOlav Olsen
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F345-52. 2005..The TAL and distal segments appear to have the most significant capacity for a basolateral membrane-targeting mechanism involving different MALS/Veli isoforms...
- In vitro assembly properties of mutant and chimeric intermediate filament proteins: insight into the function of sequences in the rod and end domains of IFLisa Gu
Molecular and Cell Biology Graduate Program, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Baltimore 21201, USA
Exp Cell Res 298:249-61. 2004..Therefore, the effect of lamin A "tail" domain alone, or the synergistic effect of lamin "head" and the "tail" domains together, interferes with assembly into 10-nm filaments...
- Immunomorphometric study of rat renal inner medullaRaymond Mejia
Mathematical Research Branch, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2690, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 282:F553-7. 2002..Mathematical models can use our quantitative data to explore implications for the urine-concentrating mechanism...
- Posttranscriptional compensation for heterozygous disruption of the kidney-specific NaK2Cl cotransporter geneNobuyuki Takahashi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7525, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:604-10. 2002..One possible factor is a regulated increase in the movement of cytoplasmic protein to the luminal membrane leading to a restoration of functional transporter to an essentially wild type level...
- Cognitive impairment in patients with chronic pain: the significance of stressRobert P Hart
Department of Psychiatry, VCU Health System, P O Box 980268, Richmond, VA 23298 0268, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 7:116-26. 2003....
- Racial/ethnic differences in the experience of chronic painJoseph L Riley
Division of Public Health Services and Research, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, P O Box 100404, Gainesville, FL 32610 0404, USA
Pain 100:291-8. 2002..The results indicate differences in linear associations between pain measures with African Americans showing a stronger link between emotions and pain behavior than Whites...
- Expression, localization, and regulation of urea transporter B in rat urotheliaDavid A Spector
Division of Renal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 287:F102-8. 2004..UT-B may participate in the regulation of epithelial cell volume and osmolality, in the dissipation of urea gradients, and in possible net urea transport across uroepithelia...