N J Vogelzang
Affiliation: University of Chicago
- Kidney cancerN J Vogelzang
University of Chicago Medical Center, Section of Hematology Oncology, IL 60637 1470, USA
Lancet 352:1691-6. 1998..Therapy for metastatic renal cancer remains inadequate, but recent developments in basic and clinical research suggest future improvement...
- High-dose paclitaxel plus G-CSF for malignant mesothelioma: CALGB phase II study 9234N J Vogelzang
University of Chicago, Department of Medicine, IL, USA
Ann Oncol 10:597-600. 1999..New agents with activity in mesothelioma are sorely needed. The Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) therefore performed a phase II study of high-dose paclitaxel in patients with malignant mesothelioma who had no prior chemotherapy...
- Phase II and pharmacodynamic studies of pyrazine diazohydroxide (NSC 361456) in patients with advanced renal and colorectal cancerN J Vogelzang
Cancer Research Center, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Illinois 60637 1470, USA
Clin Cancer Res 4:929-34. 1998..Curiously, an increase in alkaline phosphatase was associated with an increase in the platelet nadir (P = 0.02). If PZDH continues to be developed as an antineoplastic agent, further studies of these relationships are suggested...
- Phase I study to evaluate multiple regimens of intravenous 5-fluorouracil administered in combination with weekly gemcitabine in patients with advanced solid tumors: a potential broadly active regimen for advanced solid tumor malignanciesS Mani
University of Chicago Medical Center, Section of Hematology Oncology, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cancer 92:1567-76. 2001..The purpose of this study was to determine the maximum tolerated dose and toxicity profile of gemcitabine given on a weekly schedule with continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil...
- Phase II trial of weekly intravenous gemcitabine with continuous infusion fluorouracil in patients with metastatic renal cell cancerB I Rini
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Chicago Hospitals, IL 60637 1470, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:2419-26. 2000..To determine the clinical response rate of the combination of weekly intravenous (IV) gemcitabine with continuous infusion fluorouracil (5-FU) in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC)...
- Phase I study of ZD9331 on short daily intravenous bolus infusion for 5 days every 3 weeks with fixed dosing recommendationsB C Goh
Section of Hematology/Oncology, Cancer Research Center, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:1476-84. 2001..CONCLUSION: The recommended dose for ZD9331 on this schedule is 25 mg/d. Neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, and rash were dose-limiting, and efficacy studies in colorectal cancer are indicated...
- Gemcitabine for malignant mesothelioma: A phase II trial by the Cancer and Leukemia Group BH L Kindler
University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Lung Cancer 31:311-7. 2001..The CALGB conducted a phase II multicenter trial to evaluate the activity of gemcitabine in malignant mesothelioma (CALGB protocol 9530)...
- Phase I clinical and pharmacological study of O6-benzylguanine followed by carmustine in patients with advanced cancerR L Schilsky
Department of Medicine, Cancer Research Center and Committee on Clinical Pharmacology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Clin Cancer Res 6:3025-31. 2000..Bone marrow suppression, which may be cumulative, is the dose-limiting toxicity of the combination. Prolonged AGT suppression is likely attributable primarily to the effect of O6-benzyl-8-oxoguanine...
- Flavopiridol, a novel cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, in metastatic renal cancer: a University of Chicago Phase II Consortium studyW M Stadler
University of Chicago and University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:371-5. 2000..Because responses were observed in kidney cancer patients in the phase I trials, we performed a phase II trial of flavopiridol in this patient population...
- Docetaxel and exisulind in hormone-refractory prostate cancerC W Ryan
Department of Medicine, Section of Hematology/Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Semin Oncol 28:56-61. 2001..Accrual is ongoing...
- Multi-institutional study of the angiogenesis inhibitor TNP-470 in metastatic renal carcinomaW M Stadler
University of Chicago, Northwestern University, and Loyola University of Illinois, USA
J Clin Oncol 17:2541-5. 1999..Its highly vascular nature suggests that antiangiogenesis therapy might be useful. We thus performed a phase II study of the fumigillin analog TNP-470 in previously treated patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma...
- Long-term follow-up of nonmyeloablative allogeneic stem cell transplantation for renal cell carcinoma: The University of Chicago ExperienceA S Artz
University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 35:253-60. 2005..002). NST leads to durable responses in a minority of metastatic RCC patients. Appropriate patient selection is paramount. Anemia and decreased performance status may enable risk stratification...
- Multicenter phase II trial of interleukin-2, interferon-alpha, and 13-cis-retinoic acid in patients with metastatic renal-cell carcinomaW M Stadler
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:1820-5. 1998....
- A phase I study of the oral combination of CI-994, a putative histone deacetylase inhibitor, and capecitabineS D Undevia
Section of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Ann Oncol 15:1705-11. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: The recommended phase II dose is 6 mg/m2 (or 10 mg) of CI-994 in combination with capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/day for 2 weeks of a 3-week cycle...
- A phase II trial of weekly intravenous ranpirnase (Onconase), a novel ribonuclease in patients with metastatic kidney cancerN J Vogelzang
Cancer Research Center, University of Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
Invest New Drugs 19:255-60. 2001..No responses were seen in 14 patients. The median survival from on study was 16 months (range two to 28 months). At this dose and schedule ranpirnase has minimal activity in metastatic renal cell cancer...
- A phase I study of antisense oligonucleotide GTI-2040 given by continuous intravenous infusion in patients with advanced solid tumorsA A Desai
Section of Hematology and Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Ann Oncol 16:958-65. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: The recommended dose of GTI-2040 given on this infusion schedule is 185 mg/m(2)/day. GTI-2040 appears to have a manageable toxicity profile and is generally well tolerated as a single agent...
- Gemcitabine in the treatment of bladder cancerC W Ryan
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Chicago Medical Centre, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC 2115, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 1:547-53. 2000..A randomised trial of gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus M-VAC has completed accrual but has not yet been reported. New combination studies of gemcitabine with other chemotherapy agents, including the taxanes, are ongoing...
- Phase I clinical and pharmacogenetic study of weekly TAS-103 in patients with advanced cancerR B Ewesuedo
Committee on Clinical Pharmacology, Section of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:2084-90. 2001..Further studies to characterize the pharmacodynamics and pharmacogenetics of TAS-103 are warranted...
- Study of cohort-specific consent and patient control in phase I cancer trialsC K Daugherty
Department of Medicine, The MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, University of Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:2305-12. 1998....
- Second-line hormonal therapy for advanced prostate cancer: a shifting paradigmE J Small
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94115, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:382-8. 1997..To discuss the evolution of new concepts in the Use of second-line hormonal therapy for patients with progressive prostate cancer despite androgen deprivation...
- A phase II trial of oral temozolomide in patients with metastatic renal cell cancerD K Park
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 50:160-2. 2002..High AGT activity was observed in all four biopsies analyzed. CONCLUSIONS: Temozolomide is not active against RCC and this clinical observation may be due to high levels of AGT in this tumor...
- Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of 24-hour infusion 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in patients with organ dysfunctionG F Fleming
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, IL 60637 1470, USA
Ann Oncol 14:1142-7. 2003..Patients with hepatic or renal dysfunction are often treated with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), but there are few data to confirm the safety of this practice...
- Depletion of normal B cells with rituximab as an adjunct to IL-2 therapy for renal cell carcinoma and melanomaM Aklilu
Department of Medicine, Section of Hematology/Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Ann Oncol 15:1109-14. 2004....
- Nilutamide: possible utility as a second-line hormonal agentA Desai
Section of Hematology/Oncology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Urology 58:1016-20. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: A subset of patients, whose disease progresses with prior antiandrogen therapy, may experience a PSA response to nilutamide. The role of nilutamide in such hormone-resistant patients deserves additional prospective study...
- A phase II trial of weekly intravenous gemcitabine and cisplatin with continuous infusion fluorouracil in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinomaC M George
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
Ann Oncol 13:116-20. 2002..Based upon in vitro synergy of gemcitabine/cisplatin and 5-FU/cisplatin, we hypothesized that the addition of cisplatin could improve the objective response rate of gemcitabine and 5-FU with manageable toxicity...
- A phase II clinical trial of echinomycin in metastatic soft tissue sarcoma. An Illinois Cancer Center StudyW J Gradishar
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Invest New Drugs 13:171-4. 1995..Severe nausea and vomiting was the most common toxicity. No clinical responses were observed in the 12 evaluable patients. Echinomycin at this dose and schedule is inactive in metastatic soft tissue sarcoma...
- Clinical responses following nonmyeloablative allogeneic stem cell transplantation for renal cell carcinoma are associated with expansion of CD8+ IFN-gamma-producing T cellsH Harlin
Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 33:491-7. 2004..Our results support the hypothesis that the antitumor effects of NST may be mediated by IFN-gamma-producing CD8+ T cells, and indicate that isolation of putative tumor antigen-specific T cells, ideally, should be pursued around day +180...
- Second-line (post-study) chemotherapy received by patients treated in the phase III trial of pemetrexed plus cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in malignant pleural mesotheliomaC Manegold
Heidelberg University Medical Center, Mannheim, Germany
Ann Oncol 16:923-7. 2005..Because post-study chemotherapy (PSC) may have influenced the outcome of the trial, we examined its use and association with survival...
- Does 'granular cell' renal cell carcinoma exist? Molecular and histological reclassificationX J Yang
Histopathology 50:678-80. 2007